E46 Fanatics Forum banner

M54B30 ZHP Turbo'd or 2JZGTE Swap?

24K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  46 
#1 ·
Fellas,

I've been debating on the future of my 330i whether I should build the M54B30 ZHP engine or do a 2JZGTE swap. I'm looking to achieve 3-400 HP reliably. The car is more for daily commute but I want it to be able to go to the track here and there so my wife and I could have some fun. My dilemma is that I have a turbo lying around in my garage with some 3" stainless steel pipes, 255lph Walbro fuel pumps, fuel lines, AN fittings, EMS for a Supra, Tial wastegate, HKS BOV, and other miscellaneous turbo parts that's just taking up space. In your opinion, what should I do? Buy a turbo manifold and slowly build the M54 or just swap a 2JZ and have a more reliable engine that's capable of producing large HP. What's the better bang for buck and better investment in the long run? I'm afraid the M54 won't handle the boost and eventually break down wasting all the money I poured into it when it could of been a 2JZ. Lend me your opinion and let's see what we can do. I'd like to make a build here on e46fanatics and let's do this together as a team.

#2 ·
I would do a 2JZ swap since crazy amounts of power can be achieved without breaking the bank, and still reliability is still there.

I was having the same dilemma, but I made up my mind on doing a s54 swap then eventually boosting it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Yeah I definitely agree on the 2JZ for the reliability that's what's causing me to sway in that direction. I'd say it's a better investment, but I don't know what to do with the M54. It's been real good to me ever since I had it. I bought the car from the previous owner with a seized engine and I swapped it over to the ZHP. I figured I'd just enjoy it a bit more but my hands are itchy and I want to continue modding it. It's really a fun to drive car and that's why I want to ask you fellow enthusiasts what you think is best.

#3 ·
How much daily drive ability do you want in this build? You mentioned track which may reduce that factor. You also seem to be based in Cali which you and I both know have stupid strict emissions. My buddies is running 17psi E85 on an E34 M52 at around 450 whp. Stock internals 200k odometer. My brother is running 350 whp E34 M20 16 psi stock internals. M52/4's are really tough engines as long as they've been maintained properly and in good health.

And I'm here with a M52tu bottom mount turbo WITH A/C. So im making power and having a nice cool drive while im at it.

CXRacing does offer turbo kits and 2JZ kits for our E46's which may help out.

#5 ·
I believe I daily the car about 10-15 miles at most. I work from home and occasionally I will go to LA for errands here and there but mostly it's just for pleasure driving. I don't smash on the freeway and endanger anyone or drive recklessly. I save that for the track days. I've looked into CX racing for the engine mounts and complete kit for the 2JZ, but I never saw anything for the M54 in particular. I've only seen kits for the M52tu. That's why I kept thinking why don't I just get a turbo manifold and use what I have available at home. I want to clear out my garage and that seems like the perfect way to do it. My wife wants to enjoy the car as well and would like to have some space back from all the pipes and crap lying around.

#6 · (Edited)
Part of me wants to just build the M54 but the other part of me wants to do a 2JZ swap. I know the M54 has its limitations especially since it's a high compression engine and I haven't really seen much people that turbocharged the car for daily driving. I really don't want to be that guy that dump thousands of dollars into a car that eventually sees it's limits and wish he had gone the other way, but at the same time if I could find some information on a successful M54 turbo build that works properly and is reliable, I guess I wouldn't mind going for it. As for emissions, I have a buddy that can take care of the smog for me. I'm not so much worried about that stuff. It's more of the money being well spent.

By the way, my car has about 190k on the engine itself now and it's still working well. I just have a vacuum leak that I need to address but all in all it seems to be good.

#7 · (Edited)
Since you already have the turbo and supporting items here's a couple of links for the CXRacing "part kit" M52tu and M54 are identical in mounting so it should work. Though I'd be wary because the 330i has a bigger throttle body than the rest of the E46 Non M's

Turbo manifold with downpipe (Really recommend this as its amazing not having to fab up a custom downpipe.)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRACING-T3...ash=item20f656a572:g:KIgAAOSwBLlU2v~e&vxp=mtr

Intercooler/piping (Though a bit overpriced if you ask me. Piping is the easy part haha)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CX-Bolt-on-...ash=item43f2c84543:g:RW0AAOSwWZ9XoZgu&vxp=mtr

Oh and ps AFAIK with this kit, you'll lose a/c because of the turbo charge pipes. Turbo, E46 and A/C don't mix well

#8 ·
That is a big no no for me. I need air conditioning. I live in Southern California and it gets scortching hot. I cannot give up air conditioning guys. I've read somewhere that people with 2JZ swaps were able to retain air conditioning. Can anyone confirm this?

#10 ·
Either try to find a way with controlling the 2jz a/c compressor or do what I did and install a bottom mount turbo setup. I got my charge pipes to clear the a/c compressor but have not found small enough cone filter to fit between the engine mount and the subframe. So as of right now, I am running on a literal screen filter which is not the best against rain. Why can't E46's be as simple as E36's when it comes to bottom mount setups...

#11 ·
Is your turbo manifold a cast iron manifold that is sold on eBay? I haven't found much turbo manifolds available and hoping you could recommend one. I've heard of the bottom mount turbo manifold from SPA but they no longer sells them.

#12 ·
Here are stuff that I have laying around my garage.

- Borg Warner S256
- Tial 44mm wastegate
- Custom 3" stainless steel exhaust system with V bands (was for another car. Not BMW.)
- HKS SSQ BOV
- PWR intercooler
- Fuel injector clinics 900cc fuel injectors
- Walbro 255lph pump
- ProEFI48 standalone ecu
- Electronic boost controller
- Fuel pressure sensor
- IAC sensor
-6AN oil feed and -10AN oil return line
- AEM water/meth injection system
- AEM Wideband O2 gauge
- EGT gauge
- Boost PSI gauge

Let me know what you guys think I can use. Anyone ever used a ProEFI48 for their e46 M54B30?

#16 ·
Driving a 15-year old E46 STOCK is already a challenge time and money wise. Reliably is an added layer of complexity. Now you want to build a custom turbo kit for it? Really doubt you can achieve your goal. Your car will be your full time job... and then some. and then some.

and then.

some.

I'd say 99.5% of "i wanna swap xx" motor never gets beyond the initial thread--never happens.

seriously you're better off buying a car already fully engineered from the factory. this is what they're trained and paid to do. build reliable cars to do daily duty.

There's quite a few budget friendly at least decently reliable factory cars you can daily drive with 300-400 hp you can consider

New Civic R
New Civic Si with a tune
Miata ND
G8 sedan
Fusion Sport EcoBoost AWD
IS-F
C5 Z06
CTS-V

Jerking your E46 off with a turbo or engine swap is going to be a MASSIVE headache, especially if you're an adult with stuff to do.

#19 ·
Jerking your E46 off with a turbo or engine swap is going to be a MASSIVE headache, especially if you're an adult with stuff to do.
More sanctimonious crap from Mango. Must be a day that ends in the letter "y". :facepalm:

News flash sir: Some "adults" actually enjoy the challenge of building a motor, even if it involves some fabrication and trial and error.

#17 ·
And here's mango crushing people's hopes and dreams lol

#18 ·
I know you've already got the turbo in your garage and the piping, but I think the simple solution here is supercharging. Since you're in SoCal you can take your car down to EAS in Anaheim and do a Vortec S/C kit install for right about $4K. Or for $6K, you could do the TSS kit and make some more power. I can speak for the Centrifugal kit because my buddy has one on his ZHP and it's been very reliable. Check out his car, Matt Farah just reviewed it on The Smoking Tire.

Maybe sell your turbo, get some cash and put that towards the S/C. You'll make 300WHP no problem with 7 or 9 pounds of boost and maybe meth injection. Motor swaps are costly, and the tuning potential for the M54B30 is already about in the range you're looking for.

Sent from my 831C using E46Fanatics mobile app

#22 ·
I also like the looks of the E46. That's why I've never decided to sell the car to buy something new. The way it drives and handles and the stuff steering is what keeps me stuck on the E46. The M5 handles differently and since I haven't done maintenance on it yet, I've never wanted to push it yet or drive through corners like I would with the E46. When I say this, I don't mean drive like a maniac, but just to turn and feel the car gripping the road and turn is just an amazing feel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.