Nightmare DSC Issue - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2020, 08:21 PM   #1
fractal

My Ride: 2002 M3 Vert
Nightmare DSC Issue

I purchased a 2002 BMW M3 Convertible 6-speed in May 2019. Test drove the car and there were no lights or obvious issues. Drove it all the way home from West Virginia to New Jersey with no problems.

I took the car to Motorsport GmbH in Lyndhurst where I had a ton of work done to the car: All fluids / filters, shocks, rear springs, belts and pulleys, spark plugs, new cooling system, driveshaft flex disc replaced, differential pinion shaft seal repaired, new tires.

I then took the car to BMW Bloomfield where I had them do the 2 airbag recalls and a DME programming recall, as these were all open on the car.

Following all this the car was fine for another 150 miles and a couple of days, when all of a sudden the DSC and TPMS lights flashed on and the ABS pumped the left front brake. The DSC and TPMS stayed on for the duration of the trip home.

For the week following this the DSC and / or TPMS lights would come on after a few minutes with no brake activity. Eventually the DSC light was on permanently.

I took the car back to Motorsport who told me they could not get a reading out of the ABS computer. They sent the module in for repair / rebuild but the shop they sent it to said it was completely dead. So they sourced a used ABS unit for me, installed and coded it.

Following the new ABS installation and coding, the car would flash the DSC light and pump one of the brakes for a split second as in the first incident, throw codes and disable DSC for the duration of the trip. Tech could get the codes the car was throwing which are pointing to both yaw sensorr. They tried installing two different known working yaw sensors with no luck - same result. The DSC module thinks the wheels are pointing in crazy directions; he showed a video of these crazy readings coming in on his code reader when he moved a few wires under the seat. He says it might be steering angle sensor is bad but normally the car will throw a single code indicating as such, not two codes pointing to different things. This led him to conclude it was likely a wiring issue and said the entire body wiring harness would need to be replaced at an insane cost (probably over $5K).

This is such a nightmare as I had just got done getting the car up to date on maintenance.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
fractal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:40 PM   #2
Luke_palma

My Ride: 2001 BMW M3
These cars especially as they Age have bad ground issues. I would start by cleaning all the grounds in the harness and recheck.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Luke_palma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:17 PM   #3
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
I would clean all WSS and replace the SAS before going big on the harness. Do that, clear all codes, then post any new codes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 06:23 AM   #4
fractal

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by fractal; 02-13-2020 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:56 AM   #5
Flat-Six

The SAS will throw ABS/DSC codes/messages. Not saying this is your issue though, but I'd make sure I did as much troubleshooting as possible before replacing more parts.

When the SAS went bad on my 2005 L322 (BMW) it threw the following error messages: ABS/DSC/Trans/Air-Suspension at various times.
05 RR
15 LR4
95 Classic
Flat-Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:21 PM   #6
fractal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat-Six View Post
The SAS will throw ABS/DSC codes/messages. Not saying this is your issue though, but I'd make sure I did as much troubleshooting as possible before replacing more parts.

When the SAS went bad on my 2005 L322 (BMW) it threw the following error messages: ABS/DSC/Trans/Air-Suspension at various times.
The weird thing is the indy tech had the scanner reading the steering angle and rotation rates while the car was running (with no faults)...everything was fine, and they could watch the SAS tracking the wheels as they moved it.

They showed me a video of them wiggling the wires under the carpet to the left of the drivers seat and the steering angle readings going crazy on the scanner. This has led them to believe it is a wiring harness issue.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
SloopJohnB

My Ride: 03 M3 cabrio
I would hav ego do to BMW dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractal View Post
I purchased a 2002 BMW M3 Convertible 6-speed in May 2019. Test drove the car and there were no lights or obvious issues. Drove it all the way home from West Virginia to New Jersey with no problems.

I took the car to Motorsport GmbH in Lyndhurst where I had a ton of work done to the car: All fluids / filters, shocks, rear springs, belts and pulleys, spark plugs, new cooling system, driveshaft flex disc replaced, differential pinion shaft seal repaired, new tires.

I then took the car to BMW Bloomfield where I had them do the 2 airbag recalls and a DME programming recall, as these were all open on the car.

Following all this the car was fine for another 150 miles and a couple of days, when all of a sudden the DSC and TPMS lights flashed on and the ABS pumped the left front brake. The DSC and TPMS stayed on for the duration of the trip home.

For the week following this the DSC and / or TPMS lights would come on after a few minutes with no brake activity. Eventually the DSC light was on permanently.

I took the car back to Motorsport who told me they could not get a reading out of the ABS computer. They sent the module in for repair / rebuild but the shop they sent it to said it was completely dead. So they sourced a used ABS unit for me, installed and coded it.

Following the new ABS installation and coding, the car would flash the DSC light and pump one of the brakes for a split second as in the first incident, throw codes and disable DSC for the duration of the trip. Tech could get the codes the car was throwing which are pointing to both yaw sensorr. They tried installing two different known working yaw sensors with no luck - same result. The DSC module thinks the wheels are pointing in crazy directions; he showed a video of these crazy readings coming in on his code reader when he moved a few wires under the seat. He says it might be steering angle sensor is bad but normally the car will throw a single code indicating as such, not two codes pointing to different things. This led him to conclude it was likely a wiring issue and said the entire body wiring harness would need to be replaced at an insane cost (probably over $5K).

This is such a nightmare as I had just got done getting the car up to date on maintenance.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Since it appears your troubles started after they did their thing.
SloopJohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #8
fractal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnB View Post
Since it appears your troubles started after they did their thing.
I had contacted them previously and they took the car and did a diagnostic at no charge, but they came back with a quote for $1,600 to replace the yaw sensor. We know it's not that as the indy shop tried two different known working ones with no change.

At this point I'm pretty pissed off and sent the service advisor another email blaming them. We'll see what he says.