Which Antenna works for touring - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2020, 08:39 AM   #21
ss7lb

My Ride: bmw
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...cn-84506907083

thats what i used
ss7lb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #22
SpeedAddict502

My Ride: Many
Was that for your wagon? It went right on?
SpeedAddict502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #23
ss7lb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedAddict502 View Post
Was that for your wagon? It went right on?
Yeah, it screwed right on. To be honest I didn't think it would because of that plastic thing but it screwed perfectly into the base on the roof.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:40 PM   #24
SpeedAddict502

My Ride: Many
Did the diameter match the base perfectly as well?
SpeedAddict502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:05 PM   #25
ss7lb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedAddict502 View Post
Did the diameter match the base perfectly as well?
Yes, its a replacement for the "bee stinger" antenna on the roof of the car. Fit perfectly
Old 01-22-2020, 12:09 AM   #26
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by eoyok View Post
I installed a Shark antenna a few months back. Got one from ebay, and it has AM/FM & GPS & DAB+. Earlier I installed an Android unit and had trouble getting good FM signal with the two antenna wires (older model car). The new antenna gave me better FM signal and GPS works also nicely. DAB+ I have not yet connected nor used since we do not have DAB+ in my country.

The antenna looks ok in my eyes, and would look even better if painted matte black (now shiny) or to match the car. Maybe one day. For now, I enjoy the better signal and am not looking at the antenna while driving
@Eoyok, which one did you use? I have a GPS antenna just taped onto the roof that looks terrible, and my bee stinger is smashed. I would love to get a shark fin with GPS built-in (and AM/FM?) so I can clean up the roofline.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:17 PM   #27
eoyok

I purchased a "FM AM Radio Shark Antenne für Auto GPS Nav System DAB+ Empfänger Digital Radio" from ebay.de (it is a German car after all) and to be more precise, from "rfstreet" https://www.ebay.de/usr/rfstreet (China, I suppose)

Since I also took some picture while installing, having a DIY in mind, here goes:

1. My starting point. I was aiming between the roof rails. The point I marked was about 19 cm from the back of the roof, it could be 15 cm without drilling into the electronics below.

2. The antenna in all it's glory

3. The hole is there. I would advice everyone to cover the rest of the roof some way. I my case the small metal pieces caused damage and at some point I will doing small removal of rust and painting next to the antenna.

4. removed all connectors of the upholster up till C pillars, then I could just fold the upholster lightly.

5. pushing the wiring into the hole. I first drilled a hole of about 10 mm but ended up drilling about 13 mm to make everything fit.

6. The antenna almost there. The roof is not totally straight but the antenna is. The rubber under the antenna seems to seal the whole antenna, though.

7. I removed the handles in the upholstery and through them I was able to run the wires up to the front.

7b. Since I was runnig some wires, I also installed a microphone. Should still paint it darker. Gives a much better audio while calling compared to the small microphone hole in the stereo system.

8. Running the wires down on the A pillar. Take your time and open the clips next to the airbag, so there is zero risk getting wiring fired at you at extreme situations.

9. Wires in the corner.

10. The last push: speedometer (etc) away and the wires to the stereo system.
eoyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:33 PM   #28
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
You're in Germany? Car had no existing antenna there on the roof?
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #29
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3/01 330iT 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by VpointVick View Post
You're in Germany? Car had no existing antenna there on the roof?
I know! I wish mine didn't have a hole in the roof!

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:57 PM   #30
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
I know! I wish mine didn't have a hole in the roof!
It saves you from having to make a hole, though!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:09 PM   #31
VpointVick

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjsaabman View Post
It saves you from having to make a hole, though!

Having to make a hole that you don't need?
Old 01-22-2020, 08:15 PM   #32
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
Quote:
I'm not saying I would have made the hole if my roof was antenna free, but since it's there, that seems like one of the best choices in this thread for the combination of style and function.

yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:40 PM   #33
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3/01 330iT 6MT
Quote:
Bingo

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:27 AM   #34
VpointVick

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjsaabman View Post
I'm not saying I would have made the hole if my roof was antenna free, but since it's there, that seems like one of the best choices in this thread for the combination of style and function.

Sure, but I'm still a little fuzzy on what function is being provided. AM/FM are both handled well by the antennas in the window traces/under the spoiler, GPS is handled quite well with an aftermarket antenna stuck to the sheetmetal inside the sunroof motor cover, and the cell phone antenna was only ever useful in a very few cases if they had a snap in base for your phone and you were willing to give up your cup holders.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:35 AM   #35
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
If I have a business radio, why would I have gps antenna on my roof? Or is it something else. Not the bee stinger, but a black square glued to the roof
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:08 PM   #36
eoyok

If you have original business radio (no navigation, only casette/cd), you probably would not want/need gps antenna on the roof, since there is nothing that uses the antenna. And if the FM/AM reception is working alright, no need to make any changes really. And if you have the original system with navigation, also GPS antenna should have come with the car. So no need there either.

I installed an Erisin Android head unit, which came with separate antennas for GPS and DAB+. Additionally the original AM/FM antenna was not really usable (different kind of connectors, different number of connectors).
So a roof antenna which has all of these seemed like a good idea. Additionally the cost of the roof antenna seemed less than what it would have been to make the original AM/FM antenna to work with the new head unit.

If it would have been easily possible to achieve the same reception without drilling a hole on the roof, I would probably have opted for that.

Last edited by eoyok; 01-30-2020 at 11:10 PM.
eoyok is offline   Reply With Quote