Power Steering Pulley Fail - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2020, 12:37 PM   #1
TLM

My Ride: 2001 325i Touring
Power Steering Pulley Fail

Something I didn't think about or expected bit me pretty good this week. Now that I've researched the problem, it appears to be more common than I thought.

Check your power steering and water pump pulleys! The plastic fatigues and cracks. Our cars are getting up there in age and the heat cycles are doing no favors to the bits under the hood.

It looks like the pulley had stress cracks and finally cracked and cut the serpentine belt causing an immediate catastrophic turn off the motor ASAP or else risk engine melt.

Fortunately, no further damage other than a mess belt threads under the hood. As you might have guessed, new pulleys, tensioners, and belts are on order. I see aluminum pulleys, but I went with a Febi plastic replacement since well, it lasted 19 years and that's probably good enough. FCP Euro to the rescue.

Next time you're under the hood, take a very close look at the power steering and water pump pulleys.

Edit: added a pic of the big bad wolf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TLM; 02-10-2020 at 12:47 PM.
TLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #2
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
I ended up with a weird noise that took me forever to track down. The P/S pump pulley bolts had loosened, one coming completely off and the other two backed way out, so that the pulley was wobbling all over. The holes and the area of the face surrounding the holes were badly chewed up so new pulley it was.

I went with the URO aluminum one because while I don't have much faith in many URO brand parts how badly could they screw up a chunk of aluminum?
VpointVick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:40 PM   #3
jagmandan

My Ride: E46 325xit -> 330xit
I changed to the ECS aluminum pulleys before a cross country road trip. Slept easier ever since.
jagmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2020, 05:10 PM   #4
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3/01 330iT 6MT
I bought an aluminum pulley from either ECS (probably) or FCP (maybe) and it is a POS. I refused to put it on my car. It was a crudely cast pulley. If they are now selling machined aluminum pulleys I may change my mind.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:53 PM   #5
jagmandan

My Ride: E46 325xit -> 330xit
They are indeed machined... check them out.
jagmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #6
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3/01 330iT 6MT
Ah, I see what I did. I bought a stupid URO aluminum pulley, thinking "how badly could they screw that up?" Pretty badly.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote