Heater core coolant leaking externally? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2020, 02:49 PM   #1
ibrahin99

My Ride: 04 bmw 325i
Heater core coolant leaking externally?

So I recently replaced coolant pipes under intake manifold along with heater valve and heater hoses, now im having coolant dripping off from above the oil pan? By the sway bar its really hard to tell but seems like its coming from above somewhere Could this be the heater core drain? My old heater valve wasnt working and maybe prevented this leak? Im not sure if i should use stop leak to stop the heater valve from working like my old 1 or do some kind of bypass, The green stuff in the pictures are a uv dye i used to help me find the leak not green coolant lol, please help and thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ibrahin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:39 PM   #2
Effduration

My Ride: '05 330CiC
Go over your work.

DO NOT use stop leak

If you used aftermarket heater pipes, they can be tricky to install without leaks. I try to use OEM pipes, but will use aftermarket pipes with OEM o-rings, which seems to work out. I also test them after install before putting intake manifold on, by hooking up all coolant pipes and hoses, install a special gutted thermostat housing I have, fill with distilled water and pressurize with <20 psi

In your case I would pressurize the cooling system - I use a compressor, but you can use a coolant pressure tester from harbor freight- and shine a light through the intake near were heater pipes enter block. check for leaks. If they are dry check the rest of your work.
Effduration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
docnabimmer

My Ride: 2004 325XIT
Year: 2004
Model: 325XIT
Transmission: standard
Agree with eff- no stop leak .check your work and while your at it, I hope you made sure your water pump and thermostat are new and or not leaking .....otherwise replace if it has not been replaced.water pump leak right about the same place as well.
docnabimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 05:22 PM   #4
Hot_tub

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Transmission: 5 Speed
Green coolant

That's all I can contribute, sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hot_tub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #5
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
Causation or just correlation?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

Are you getting hot air no matter where you set your A/C in your E46? Check out this ancient thread! Chime in with your experience:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #6
ibrahin99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effduration View Post
Go over your work.

DO NOT use stop leak

If you used aftermarket heater pipes, they can be tricky to install without leaks. I try to use OEM pipes, but will use aftermarket pipes with OEM o-rings, which seems to work out. I also test them after install before putting intake manifold on, by hooking up all coolant pipes and hoses, install a special gutted thermostat housing I have, fill with distilled water and pressurize with <20 psi

In your case I would pressurize the cooling system - I use a compressor, but you can use a coolant pressure tester from harbor freight- and shine a light through the intake near were heater pipes enter block. check for leaks. If they are dry check the rest of your work.

I bought original “genuine” pipes to make sure they last as long as possible this area seems to be dry no stains nothing, the rest of the cooling system has been done about a year ago, hoses, radiator, water pump, thermostat etc... everything except heater core, it seems weird how all of a sudden i put a new heater valve and that leak started, my old heater valve was clogged which didnt let the coolant make its way to the heater core.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #7
ibrahin99

Quote:
Originally Posted by docnabimmer View Post
Agree with eff- no stop leak .check your work and while your at it, I hope you made sure your water pump and thermostat are new and or not leaking .....otherwise replace if it has not been replaced.water pump leak right about the same place as well.

I bought original “genuine” pipes to make sure they last as long as possible this area seems to be dry no stains nothing, the rest of the cooling system has been done about a year ago, hoses, radiator, water pump, thermostat etc... everything except heater core, it seems weird how all of a sudden i put a new heater valve and that leak started, my old heater valve was clogged which didnt let the coolant make its way to the heater core.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:24 PM   #8
ibrahin99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_tub View Post
Green coolant

Its a uv dye lol i agree green coolant is a no no

Old 02-13-2020, 06:26 PM   #9
ibrahin99

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post

Leaning towards causation

Old 02-13-2020, 06:29 PM   #10
ibrahin99

Quote:
Green coolant

Quote:

Quote:
Go over your work.

DO NOT use stop leak

Quote:

Also i forgot to mention, the leak is mostly when the car is off and cold, for example i cant see anything until the next morning after letting the car sit overnight, and at this point it will still drip, but it seems to slow down or go away when the car is running

Old 02-13-2020, 06:31 PM   #11
Hot_tub

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Transmission: 5 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrahin99 View Post
Ok cool, my purist muscle had a spasm LOL Hope you get some answers soon!

Hot_tub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #12
swordsman11868

Quote:
Also i forgot to mention, the leak is mostly when the car is off and cold, for example i cant see anything until the next morning after letting the car sit overnight, and at this point it will still drip, but it seems to slow down or go away when the car is running

I had that happen as well. I watched it drip from the connection between the hose and the radiator (iirc). Engine was cold.

I replaced the o-rings and that has fixed it.

Are you getting hot air no matter where you set your A/C in your E46? Check out this ancient thread! Chime in with your experience:
Old 02-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #13
ibrahin99

Quote:
I had that happen as well. I watched it drip from the connection between the hose and the radiator (iirc). Engine was cold.

The o rings on the heater core? If so how was it to take it out? I havent found much diy’s on how to do it so i really want to avoid replacing it

Old 02-13-2020, 08:02 PM   #14
docnabimmer

My Ride: 2004 325XIT
Year: 2004
Model: 325XIT
Transmission: standard
Might as well check the transmission cooler if Auto and the coolant hose connections between expansion tank holder and the engine.I saw mine actually leaking at the ET holder.
docnabimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #15
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:

Prestone dye?

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:14 PM   #16
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
Quote:
Ok cool, my purist muscle had a spasm LOL Hope you get some answers soon!
Funny! Because I see angel eyes on that E46.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:59 AM   #17
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 Track Car
To answer your question.
The heater core does not have a drain.
Rather it uses the A/C drains,as it shares the same HVAC plenum.

Double check your work.
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #18
swordsman11868

Quote:
The o rings on the heater core? If so how was it to take it out? I havent found much diy’s on how to do it so i really want to avoid replacing it

No the oring on the upper radiator hose.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #19
ibrahin99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMCar View Post
To answer your question.

Double check your work.

Double checked all my work but isnt this a drain?this is just a picture from google lol

Old 02-23-2020, 03:34 AM   #20
ibrahin99

Quote:
Go over your work.

DO NOT use stop leak

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Green coolant

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMCar View Post
To answer your question.

Double check your work.

Well u guys were right it seems i didnt check hard enough its the heater inlet pipe i would never have noticed without the uv dye at least i finally figured it out im going through about half a gallon every 2 days i hopefully it can hold until the end of the week i guess it didnt seal tight enough or maybe the metal is warped, crusty? Should i apply some rtv when putting the hose back in?