My M3 Swap Wagon built by Kaiv.... - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #1
SpeedAddict502

My Ride: Many
My M3 Swap Wagon built by Kaiv....

Hey guys, you might have seen a few of my threads on here looking for sunroof delete facelift wagons or some of the parts I had for sale, but I finally got my car built and back from Kaiv and have been driving it for a week. I did find a 2002 sunroof delete black interior with sport package!

Man I like it! Here are some pictures of how it sits now, but there are already a lot of interior and exterior parts on the way.

For mods it doesnt have too much right now:

Koni shocks
Syncro Design Works RTAB
Solid Subframe bushings
Single Mass Lightweight flywheel
Turner Monoball FCAB
Stromung rear section exhaust

...and thats all I can remember for now.

Sways I will get soon and then coilovers after that.

As far as the build, Kaiv did a complete rebuild of everything and also installed Redish chassis plates for safe measure. Complete M3 swap front to rear. I have some 18" X5 wheels and tires ready to go on now, they will last till I decide about flares or such.

Plans going forward:

Supersprint headers
Epic tune
Flares of some sort
Delete roof rails (coming soon)
All clear lights (on the way)
Different bumper
Xenon Lights
Several new interior parts (on the way)

Happy for any thoughts or questions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0696.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	701321   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0695.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	701329   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0697.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	701337   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0698.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	701345  

Name:	DSC_0654.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	701353   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0655.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	701361  
SpeedAddict502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #2
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3/01 330iT 6MT
Wowie zowie! Love it. What part of Houston are you in?

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
SpeedAddict502

Thanks!

I live in Pearland and work in Katy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3/01 330iT 6MT
Ah, I'm up on the north side.

Are you a CCA member and do you ever go to their events?

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
ctlikon

My Ride: 2005 330Ci Coupe
Year: 2005
Model: 330CI ZHP
Transmission: ZF S6-37
Wow, I really like that. Nice Job!

"We at BMW do not build cars as consumer objects, just to drive from A to B. We build mobile works of art." Chris Bangle
ctlikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:40 PM   #6
Astheros

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedAddict502 View Post
Hey guys, you might have seen a few of my threads on here looking for sunroof delete facelift wagons or some of the parts I had for sale, but I finally got my car built and back from Kaiv and have been driving it for a week. I did find a 2002 sunroof delete black interior with sport package!

Man I like it! Here are some pictures of how it sits now, but there are already a lot of interior and exterior parts on the way.

For mods it doesnt have too much right now:

Koni shocks
Syncro Design Works RTAB
Solid Subframe bushings
Single Mass Lightweight flywheel
Turner Monoball FCAB
Stromung rear section exhaust

...and thats all I can remember for now.

Sways I will get soon and then coilovers after that.

As far as the build, Kaiv did a complete rebuild of everything and also installed Redish chassis plates for safe measure. Complete M3 swap front to rear. I have some 18" X5 wheels and tires ready to go on now, they will last till I decide about flares or such.

Plans going forward:

Supersprint headers
Epic tune
Flares of some sort
Delete roof rails (coming soon)
All clear lights (on the way)
Different bumper
Xenon Lights
Several new interior parts (on the way)

how much does that swap cost? out the door. does he handle everything? you just send him the wagon>

Astheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:33 PM   #7
SpeedAddict502

I will let him PM you if he wants to about labor cost. It's about $2500 in parts give or take for the rebuild, you just give him a donor M3 and a wagon. He can try to help find the M3 as well if you want him to.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:40 PM   #8
Bennett

My Ride: e46 touring
Love it!

Last edited by Bennett; 11-16-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:21 AM   #9
mjweimer

My Ride: 2001 325iT
Quote:

SpeedAddict - I am loving this - congratulations!

I so badly need to do this to my touring and am currently looking for a donor.

What are your driving impressions? How does the Stromung sound?

MJ
mjweimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #10
onebayshort

My Ride: 2008 E90 m3
Nice build. Interested to see where you get with flares. I looked into it and the numbers I was getting back were pretty high. Had hoped for something in the $3k neighborhood and got either flat nos or something in a different zip code.
onebayshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #11
SpeedAddict502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjweimer View Post
SpeedAddict - I am loving this - congratulations!

I so badly need to do this to my touring and am currently looking for a donor.

What are your driving impressions? How does the Stromung sound?

MJ
It drives really well, with the full rebuild it feels like a new car. I wanted something more old school, hydraulic steering and such, and this delivers. I will say though, a stock e46 M3 is much more soft than I expected. Way more lean and brake dive than I would have guessed, so that will need to be fixed. The Stromung sounds nice, but it is a bit too loud for daily. Im thinking about adding some resonators or small mufflers to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebayshort View Post
Nice build. Interested to see where you get with flares. I looked into it and the numbers I was getting back were pretty high. Had hoped for something in the $3k neighborhood and got either flat nos or something in a different zip code.
Honestly I think I will just do the Hard Motorsport flares and bolt them on with rivnuts. I know many people dont, but I like the bolt on flare look. M2 Autowerks just released their M3 fenders for tourings and sedans, but it requires an entire M3 front end as well.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #12
Dave

My Ride: 323,330,M3,M3,M3
Quote:
I will say though, a stock e46 M3 is much more soft than I expected. Way more lean and brake dive than I would have guessed, so that will need to be fixed.
How old are the shocks you're running? That could be why. The stock M3 in new-ish form does move a lot more than you'd think, but I wouldn't describe it as lean or dive...

Quote:
Honestly I think I will just do the Hard Motorsport flares and bolt them on with rivnuts. I know many people dont, but I like the bolt on flare look.
Ewwwww....

Quote:
M2 Autowerks just released their M3 fenders for tourings and sedans, but it requires an entire M3 front end as well.
ohhhh reaaaaally. I'd like to see this.

What's wrong with getting an entire M3 front end though?
Old 11-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #13
onebayshort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
How old are the shocks you're running? That could be why. The stock M3 in new-ish form does move a lot more than you'd think, but I wouldn't describe it as lean or dive...

Ewwwww....

Yeah, it was molded Hard Motorsports or nothing for me. My biggest issue is high cost for negligble performance gain. I've got 255 square now and wouldnt get much better than 275 square with a full kit. Buying and sending front quarters, hood, bumper to paint plus blending the doors and buying M headlights and accessories is going to have you somewhere in the $6k range without even addressing the rears which is where the real work is.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #14
Dave

My Ride: 323,330,M3,M3,M3
There's no such thing as M headlights... and in a few days I'll finally get to test the theory that all it takes it is the plastic to convert the stock ones to pre-facelift coupe shape.

I'll definitely be doing the body work, as I have a long term goal of three matching cars. The front fenders just require some cutting and molding with the sedan fenders to fit the door, but at least the hood and bumper are easy, and (pending results of the above test) so are the headlights. This has nothing whatsoever to do with performance though, only aesthetics.

There's no way that should cost $6k. I've been told about $6k for all the work, including the rear end. Which is still, granted, a ton to spend on looks. That's more than I'm spending on the car itself.

Last edited by Dave; 11-17-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #15
SpeedAddict502

Quote:

Ewwwww....

Shocks are newish Koni, so I dont know. I am probably use to pretty tight cars.

Haha no love for the bolt ons? Nothing wrong with the whole front end, just pretty expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebayshort View Post
Yeah, it was molded Hard Motorsports or nothing for me. My biggest issue is high cost for negligble performance gain. I've got 255 square now and wouldnt get much better than 275 square with a full kit. Buying and sending front quarters, hood, bumper to paint plus blending the doors and buying M headlights and accessories is going to have you somewhere in the $6k range without even addressing the rears which is where the real work is.
Do you have 255's on an M swapped one? If not, the problem we have is that we lose 20mm of clearance in the front, its lost, not moved around. So I could probably do 245's, but it wont look good on the 8.5 wheel that I think is all I can fit. So we almost need the flares just to get decent rubber. Ill see in a few weeks.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:03 PM   #16
onebayshort

Quote:
There's no such thing as M headlights... and in a few days I'll finally get to test the theory that all it takes it is the plastic to convert the stock ones to pre-facelift coupe shape.

I'll definitely be doing the body work, as I have a long term goal of three matching cars. The front fenders just require some cutting and molding with the sedan fenders to fit the door, but at least the hood and bumper are easy, and (pending results of the above test) so are the headlights. This has nothing whatsoever to do with performance though, only aesthetics.

There's no way that should cost $6k. I've been told about $6k for all the work, including the rear end. Which is still, granted, a ton to spend on looks. That's more than I'm spending on the car itself.
Looking forward to your results. These off the shelf fenders are $800 plus hood, bumper and carrier. Once prepped and painted you'll be pushing more than you think. The rear is a ton of work. Gave up before I found someone that really wanted to do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #17
onebayshort

Quote:

Do you have 255's on an M swapped one? If not, the problem we have is that we lose 20mm of clearance in the front, its lost, not moved around. So I could probably do 245's, but it wont look good on the 8.5 wheel that I think is all I can fit. So we almost need the flares just to get decent rubber. Ill see in a few weeks.
Yeah. 19x8.5 ET35 with 255 square. The touring is S54 swapped, but I wouldnt say M swapped as the subframe was unchanged.

Name:	tapatalk_jpeg_1507838536917[1].jpg
Views:	169
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	701945
Old 11-29-2017, 07:56 PM   #18
kaiv

My Ride: E46 M325iT
Can't believe I missed this thread lol.
I really enjoyed putting together this car. Was kinda bittersweet when it got picked up and left >.< Glad you're enjoying it Tyler. Looking forward to see what you do with it!
kaiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #19
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
And another one! They're multiplying like rabbits at Kaiv's place! Lol! Looking forward to seeing where this one goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #20
esophagus6

My Ride: E46 M3
Holy cow! Slicktop wagon! That alone must have took a while to find.

How did you get the donor M3 and Wagon to San Diego to kaiv from Houston and how long did the rebuild take once it was in kaiv's hands?

Last edited by esophagus6; 12-01-2017 at 03:29 PM.
esophagus6 is offline   Reply With Quote