AVANT-4 Android Navigation System for BMW 3-Series E46 / M3 AVINUSA - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Mobile Electronics Forum

Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2019, 07:03 PM   #1
[email protected]
Sponsor

Lightbulb AVANT-4 Android Navigation System for BMW 3-Series E46 / M3 AVINUSA

Howdy all!

I wanted to share the Avin Avant-4 system that suits perfectly for the E46s. I personally have one in my E46 M3, and really has improved my driving experience daily! We all can probably agree the E46s are pretty badly blind out the back too, especially my cabrio M3, so the addition of a backup camera as well makes a HUGE difference.

Any questions don't hesitate to ask!

AVIN Avant 4

Android™ 9.0 Pie

PX6 CPU Platform | 4GB RAM (DDR3)

Bluetooth 5.0 | 64GB Internal Storage | HDMI Output

Order now from the link below!

https://avinusa.com/avant-4-multimedia-navigation-system-for-bmw-3-series-e46-m3.html

AVANT 4

The #1 in-car multimedia navigation system for your Ultimate Driving Machine. 

Supported OEM Features

(Requires optional IBUS USB adapter - Plug and Play - NO Soldering and NO Splicing)

The IBUS USB adapter is required for BMW On-board computer/data display & reset,
setting time in IKE, PDC visualization, lighting functions/control, comfort mode, encoding

PDC 

Parking Distance Control

OBC

OnBoard Computer

Advanced Digital Signal Processor (DSP)

(optional chipset)

Features enhanced audio performance, precise equalization, adjustable crossovers, and signal delay. 

15 Band EQ 

Time Correction

Custom

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

(TPMS)

The purpose of the tire pressure monitoring system is to warn you that at least one or more tires are significantly under-inflated or over-inflated, possibly creating unsafe driving conditions.  Maintaining the correct tire pressure for your BMW is an important factor in extending the life of your tires.  Too little tire pressure will eventually cause catastrophic tire failure.

Note: External TPMS sensors shown.  Internal sensors are also available.

(Requires optional TPMS kit)

Tech Specs

Android™
PX6 CPU Platform
Android 9.0 Pie (64bit)
6-core CPU PX6 (RK3399) - Dual-core ARM Cortex-A72 (CPU 1.8Ghz) MPCore processor and Quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 (CPU 1.4Ghz) MPCore processor
4GB RAM (DDR3)
64GB Internal Storage

Audio
Hi-Fi Class
4 x 48 W MOSFET Quad Bridge Power Amplifier
Harmon Kardon speaker system supported

Audio Playback Format
MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, DSF, DFF

Radio Tuner
Premium car radio tuner with state-of-the-art signal processing
30 Station Preset Radio (18 FM, 12 AM)
Advanced RDS and RBDS demodulation and decoding
State-of-the-art FM Improved Multipath Suppression
FM Channel Equalization
Soft Mute on Modulation
Stereo High Blend
FM LNA with AGC
AM and FM noise blanking, signal quality detection, and weak signal processing
FM stereo decoding
Fully integrated tuning system with low phase noise and fast tuning
FM receiver with a tuning range of 65 MHz to 108 MHz covering Eastern Europe
(OIRT), Japan, Europe, and US bands
AM receiver covering LW, MW, and full SW
High dynamic range Sigma Delta IF ADC
Digital IF signal processing including decimation, shift to baseband, AGC control, I/Q correction, variable IF bandwidth filtering (PACS) and demodulation

Bluetooth
Bluetooth 5.0 (PX6) (PX30)
Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)
Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
Hands-Free Profile (HFP)
Bluetooth OBD2 support for Torque

Internet
Wi-Fi
802.11 a/b/g/n
Includes external WIFI antenna for strong reliable internet connection
The AVIN system connects to your smartphone's WIFI hotspot to access the internet
(No SIM card reader)

Expandable Memory
1 MicroSD card reader
Supports MicroSD cards up to 256GB
3 USB ports
Supports USB flash drives up to 256GB

Display and Video
7" Capacitive Multi-touch Screen
Suitable for gestures such as flicking and zooming
Light-touch (Smartphone-like) operation
1024 x 600 Resolution
Split-screen mode allows running two apps side by side.
4K UHD H265/H264 decoder
1080P video encoder for H.264 and VP8
1 second boot time from standby (cold boot time is 30 second)
HDMI output for headrest monitors (PX6)
RCA output for headrest monitors (PX5) (PX30)

Video Playback format
MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, 4K, 1080P, 720P
(No CD/DVD player built-in)

Languages
English, German, French, Norwegian-Bokmal, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Romanian, Danish, Finnish, Swedish, Greek, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Portuguese, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Czech, Vietnamese, Chinese,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avn4411px58-46_1_medium_.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	788489   Click image for larger version

Name:	avn-4411_2019-02-22_pdc_large_.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	788491   Click image for larger version

Name:	avn4411px58-46_2_medium_.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	788493   Click image for larger version

Name:	avn4411px58-46_radio_tuner_medium_.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	788495  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AVN4411PX58-46_TPMS_3_1920_.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	788497   Click image for larger version

Name:	OBC_E46_Touring_Small_.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	788499  

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-23-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Steve@AVINUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
[email protected]
Sponsor

In the Box

FAQ

Harmon Kardon® sound system is fully compatible.

BMW that came equipped with the factory navigation system has all of their factory radio, power, steering wheel button control wires, and antenna connectors located back in the trunk. The quadlock 6M extension cable is required to connect the AVIN head unit in the dashboard to those connectors in the trunk of the BMW.

https://avinusa.com/bmw-quadlock-6-meter-navigation-extension-cable.html

The engineers at BMW designed and placed the high-quality OEM GPS antenna in the optimal location for best performance. Our optional GPS extension cable allows you to use your factory GPS antenna that is already installed in your trunk if you have the OEM navigation system.

https://avinusa.com/bmw-gps-antenna-extension-cable-e46-e38-e39-e53.html

If your BMW E46 does not have the factory navigation or TV monitor system you will need to relocate your Climate Control unit with the HVAC relocation kit. There are a few different version to choose from so make sure you order the correct part number that matches your cars equipment.

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-23-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
[email protected]
Sponsor

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-23-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #4
[email protected]
Sponsor

reserve3
Old 11-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #5
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Welcome to the E46Fanatics forum Steve. Nice to have an official representative involved in our forum regarding your product. I have the Avant-4 gen 2 in my X5 with factory DSP and have been very happy with it.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Overboost; 11-20-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:22 PM   #6
MnMADRic

Steve,

I am seriously looking at the Avant 4 as an upgrade to the factory HK/NAV system in my 2005 330Ci convertible. One thing i can't figure out is what all options i need to install since the factory system is in the trunk. I would like to add a backup camera and maintain the steering wheel controls and on board computer info. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there an e46fanatics discount or black friday sale coming up?

Last edited by MnMADRic; 11-20-2019 at 06:23 PM.
MnMADRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #7
[email protected]
Sponsor

Hi

You would need our 6M quadlock extension cable because you have the factory navigation system.

https://avinusa.com/quadlock-6-meter...e-for-bmw.html

BMW that came equipped with the factory navigation system has all of their factory radio, power, steering wheel button control wires, and antenna connectors located back in the trunk. The 6M extension is required to connect the AVIN head unit in the dashboard to those connectors in the trunk of the BMW.

All steering wheel button controls will work out of the box.

You would need to add the IBUS USB adapter to retain the onboard computer function and the newly added parking radar sensor display feature.

https://avinusa.com/ibus-usb-adapter.html

Yes, there will be a Black Friday sale. Details will be posted on our website next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMADRic View Post
Steve,

I am seriously looking at the Avant 4 as an upgrade to the factory HK/NAV system in my 2005 330Ci convertible. One thing i can't figure out is what all options i need to install since the factory system is in the trunk. I would like to add a backup camera and maintain the steering wheel controls and on board computer info. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there an e46fanatics discount or black friday sale coming up?
Old 11-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #8
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Steve,

Unless you have rear PDC system on your E46 you will not need the iBus adapter. If you just want a backup camera, all you need is the camera. I would recommend the DDVR-2 from Avin so you have dash cam functionality of both front and rear. I would get a simple 480i rear camera, the one from Avin that supposedly fits the license plate light doesn't fit and needs modification. I used this one in my X5.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 11-21-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #9
[email protected]
Sponsor

Yes, Overboost is correct the E46 backup camera will not fit the E53 as the opening size is different. The E53 is much more shallow and the E46 backup camera will not fit that perfectly.

https://avinusa.com/bmw-backup-rever...0-e91-e92.html
Old 11-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #10
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Yes, Overboost is correct the E46 backup camera will not fit the E53 as the opening size is different. The E53 is much more shallow and the E46 backup camera will not fit that perfectly.

https://avinusa.com/bmw-backup-rever...0-e91-e92.html
Sorry Steve,
I never tried putting your E46 camera in my E53. The problem is your E46 license plate camera DOES NOT fit in the E46 either. Many posts here and on other forums from members having to heavily modify the camera to fit properly. Here is one of your videos showing the camera fitting on an M3. 25 minute mark on the video. This was even posted on your website.

No Fear

Old 11-21-2019, 07:39 PM   #11
[email protected]
Sponsor

It is true the backup camera does require modification for the convertibles.

Here is the guide on how to install and the modification required for the convertible.

https://avinusa.com/media/mconnect_u...tion_guide.pdf
Old 11-21-2019, 08:57 PM   #12
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Man I miss Tommy...

No Fear

Old 11-21-2019, 09:08 PM   #13
MnMADRic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Unless you have rear PDC system on your E46 you will not need the iBus adapter. If you just want a backup camera, all you need is the camera. I would recommend the DDVR-2 from Avin so you have dash cam functionality of both front and rear. I would get a simple 480i rear camera, the one from Avin that supposedly fits the license plate light doesn't fit and needs modification. I used this one in my X5.
Thanks Overboost, I have read your posts in the other Avant 4 thread and you have answered a lot of questions and have given great info.

I do not have the PDC system, but if I want to be able to install the iBus app i will need it correct?
Old 11-21-2019, 10:27 PM   #14
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Thanks Overboost, I have read your posts in the other Avant 4 thread and you have answered a lot of questions and have given great info.

I do not have the PDC system, but if I want to be able to install the iBus app i will need it correct?
No, you could run the iBus adapter and app without PDC on your car and the only reason I would add the iBus app on the E46 would be to have some of the coding (iBus messages) sent to do things like triple blink turn signals or daytime running lights with fogs, low beams etc. I'm not sure why Steve would recommend the iBus adapter and app for the E46, the E38, E39 and E53 are a different story since they have a completely different OBC display and reset with high/low clusters. The E46 can reset any stored OBC values from the end of the turn signal stalk.

The iBus adapter and app are game changers on any BMW models with factory DSP as it needs messages sent to the DSP system to operate but the E46 never came with BMW factory DSP so honestly I would not get it. You could always add it later if you wanted it, it simply plugs into the prewired Avant-4 harness.

For your application, I would order the Avant-4 PX6, the Avin DSP option, 6M quadlock wiring extension, AutoPlay module (Apple CarPlay/Android Auto), Dual DVR camera system with the rear camera I posted above and maybe the TPMS system if you want that.

PM me and I'll give you my phone number and would be happy to talk you through any questions you have when purchasing or installing.

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 11-22-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:17 AM   #15
MnMADRic

Quote:
PM me and I'll give you my phone number and would be happy to talk you through any questions you have when purchasing or installing.
PM sent
Old 11-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #16
[email protected]
Sponsor

Quote:
Man I miss Tommy...
Tommy is still around, I am here to help. 8)
Old 11-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #17
umichchris

My Ride: M3
i still havent been able to get the audio on my unit to sound remotely good. ive got a ground feedback loop that after 4 or 5 attempted fixes still wont go away. add to that, when you use the Apple CarPlay function, the audio is automatically at half-input volume. this means that you have to turn the stereo volume up to nearly max in order to get actual half-audible volume.

im not sure how this made it out the factory that way, but this means i have to bluetooth stream via the built in bluetooth audio app 80% of the time for proper sound & volume and via Apple CarPlay the 20% of the time i want a simple map/navigation interface.

ive never been in any other car where the head-unit drops the volume input from device by 50% and you have to boost up the volume so much to hear anything.

the ground loop feedback means i hear engine RPM in all my audio ALL THE TIME even when i turn off the all input sources. the headunit itself has a poor internal ground.

ive opened 3 or 4 tickets on the support site but to no avail....the last one was asking for a refund because my stock radio gave me less problems (even though i only had CD and ipod interface lol - at least the music was clear and w/o feedback/hissing)

either i got a bad unit from the factory or there's a lot of issues that still need to be worked out on this version of the unit.
umichchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:51 PM   #18
[email protected]
Sponsor

@umichchris

If there is a problem with the unit AVIN will replace the unit with a new one under warranty. Please email [email protected] with your order number and request for warranty replacement.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:19 PM   #19
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

I read your posts over on M3F. I know almost everyone including me have had excellent results and much better audio than stock so I am guessing you have a faulty unit or something is amiss with your aftermarket components. See if Steve or Tommy can make some time for you to swing over and have them take a look. I believe they are just over in Elsinore.

No Fear

Old 11-25-2019, 06:48 AM   #20
MnMADRic

Does this unit support the factory microphone? With the convertible, the microphone is on the steering column. Is there an advantage to using it or installing a new mic?

Tags
android, avin, camera, gps, multimedia