DIY E46 Media Centre: MP3, videos, Digital Radio, Digital TV? - Page 9 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Mobile Electronics Forum

Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 04:16 AM   #161
CSL323

My Ride: 330Ci
Puuurchased! Thanks!
CSL323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:15 AM   #162
PeteAU

My Ride: 330i
For those who can't solder to save themselves but still want a unit, I've assembled one and put it on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=251441976634

P.S. All pre-orders will ship out tomorrow.
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #163
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Where you finding them short RCA leads Pete?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
E46 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 05:08 AM   #164
PeteAU

Any volunteers to make a guide or video on installing the Pibus software on the Raspberry Pi? I keep getting emails about it and it's really hard to describe to a Linux newbie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46 Coupe View Post
Where you finding them short RCA leads Pete?
Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-15m-VERY...item5658d0e9b5
Old 02-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #165
E46 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAU View Post
Any volunteers to make a guide or video on installing the Pibus software on the Raspberry Pi? I keep getting emails about it and it's really hard to describe to a Linux newbie.

Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-15m-VERY...item5658d0e9b5
Thanks!

A thought would be to make an SD card image:
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-clone-y...y-r-1261113524

Although I don't know if the images will be the full size of the card or data

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #166
E46 Coupe

Is there a way to regain the Tone / Balance control on the CD (now Pi) input? There is something really missing in the audio that could be fixed with a little EQ the headunit has, just can't get to it.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:24 AM   #167
CSL323

Received!!
Old 02-05-2014, 02:49 AM   #168
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46 Coupe View Post
Is there a way to regain the Tone / Balance control on the CD (now Pi) input? There is something really missing in the audio that could be fixed with a little EQ the headunit has, just can't get to it.
Short answer: no. Long answer: Press tone, then go to the boot and unplug the 3-pin cable (the one with Pin17), then go back and adjust it.

Does it actually have different EQ settings for CDC and radio? If not, you could just adjust it from the FM/AM screens.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:36 AM   #169
CSL323

Hey Pete, there appear to be four resistor footprints on the board which do not appear in your schematic, and there are no other resistors in the kit.

What are these for, and do I need them?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-05-2014, 03:49 AM   #170
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL323 View Post
Hey Pete, there appear to be four resistor footprints on the board which do not appear in your schematic, and there are no other resistors in the kit.

What are these for, and do I need them?
R9,R10: Not needed. They are just an after-thought, a way for the ATtiny to talk directly to the Pi. I've never used them for anything.

R11,R12,Q5,Q6: Not needed. If you populated them with 100K and BSS-138 (not supplied), it would allow the ATtiny to transmit on the IBUS. But it never needs to transmit.

C6: Not needed. Just some spare access to the 5 volts. Or put a big-ass cap here if your Pi is rebooting when you start the engine (I doubt it ever would).

Last edited by PeteAU; 02-05-2014 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:52 AM   #171
CSL323

Quote:
R9,R10: Not needed. They are just an after-thought, a way for the ATtiny to talk directly to the Pi. I've never used them for anything.

R11,R12,Q5,Q6: Not needed. If you populated them with 100K and BSS-138 (not supplied), it would allow the ATtiny to transmit on the IBUS. But it never needs to transmit.

C6: Not needed. Just some spare access to the 5 volts. Or put a big-ass cap here if your Pi is rebooting when you start the engine (I doubt it ever would).
Thanks!! Cleared up nicely!! I'm soldering ATM. Iron sucks though, will report back!

Ps. Your customer service is phenomenal lol

Old 02-05-2014, 05:51 AM   #172
E46 Coupe

Quote:
Short answer: no. Long answer: Press tone, then go to the boot and unplug the 3-pin cable (the one with Pin17), then go back and adjust it.

Does it actually have different EQ settings for CDC and radio? If not, you could just adjust it from the FM/AM screens.
Interesting.. Handy to know.

The EQ setting in each input does have it's own "profile"

Old 02-06-2014, 03:30 AM   #173
headlock

My Ride: E46 M3
my kit arrived today, thanks Pete!

re: the pibus install. I'm guessing it's just
a) install openelec on SD card. Test.
b) copy pibus folder from zip file provided to the linux partition on that SD card
c) modify autostart.sh as required
headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:44 AM   #174
CSL323

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1391687018.284169.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	545584

Ready to install!! Thanks Pete

Old 02-07-2014, 03:43 AM   #175
CSL323

Hey Pete, I unplugged my CDC, and found my tv box etc. how do I connect my pibus to the blue/white plugs?

Old 02-07-2014, 04:25 AM   #176
CSL323

Update, I figured it out. It is now hijacking the screen whenever the pibus is connected. But nothing is showing, just black or black with static by wiggling the video plug... Will report back

Old 02-07-2014, 04:29 AM   #177
E46 Coupe

Check the order of the 3 pin plug that goes towards the tv unit.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:24 PM   #178
headlock

My Ride: E46 M3
ok posting this hoping for answers. Board has been soldered up and seems to work ok, but i've hit a snag at the install into car phase.

1) i have the TV module, but i do not have a harness with a white plug? i have the blue plug, and from that harness springs 2 more cables that plug into individual spots on the back of the TV unit. The TV unit has a spot for the white plug, but yeah - no actual cable plugs into it. See photo below. When it's all connected i do have the television option and it does work (although you only get white noise).

2) assuming there is some way around that ^ - exactly what do you need to do for the software. I'm one of the aforementioned linux noobs, but rather than send another email - maybe we can clear this up in here and it wont need to be asked again.
The zip contains a folder called pibus with 2 subfolders and a readme. The instructions say unzip this. However it says copy the pibus file to the SD card.

so does this mean i copy the entire pibus folder to ~/storage (and end up with /storage/pibus/rpi/*.* and /storage/pibus/attiny2313a/*.*)
OR
do i copy JUST the pibus file from pibus\rpi to the root of ~/storage (and then have ~/storage/pibus - which is a 16kb file). If so, what's supposed to happen with the rest of these files and folders?

this is the TV unit.

note: i dont have nav or a reverse camera. is this perhaps why no white harness?

Last edited by headlock; 02-08-2014 at 12:30 AM.
headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:31 AM   #179
E46 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlock View Post
ok posting this hoping for answers. Board has been soldered up and seems to work ok, but i've hit a snag at the install into car phase.

1) i have the TV module, but i do not have a harness with a white plug? i have the blue plug, and from that harness springs 2 more cables that plug into individual spots on the back of the TV unit. The TV unit has a spot for the white plug, but yeah - no actual cable plugs into it. See photo below. When it's all connected i do have the television option and it does work (although you only get white noise).

2) assuming there is some way around that ^ - exactly what do you need to do for the software. I'm one of the aforementioned linux noobs, but rather than send another email - maybe we can clear this up in here and it wont need to be asked again.
The zip contains a folder called pibus with 2 subfolders and a readme. The instructions say unzip this. However it says copy the pibus file to the SD card.

so does this mean i copy the entire pibus folder to ~/storage (and end up with /storage/pibus/rpi/*.* and /storage/pibus/attiny2313a/*.*)
OR
do i copy JUST the pibus file from pibus\rpi to the root of ~/storage (and then have ~/storage/pibus - which is a 16kb file). If so, what's supposed to happen with the rest of these files and folders?

this is the TV unit.

What car have you got? You need the white plug (or a substitute so the RPi can pass video to the screen)
Also just the pibus file is enough.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #180
E46 Coupe

I'm guessing you have no NAV as that's likely why you don't have the white plug.