Retirement Investing Basics - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #41
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Sorry Wraisil, I was referring to Nikkei's list. Your info is great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Amoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #42
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: S2000
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
Your list doesn't show expense ratios. It's extremely important to have that info. If you've gotten a quarterly report from your 401k then it should have listed the expense ratios. Otherwise, your stock administration guide should also have a listing of those.

In the worst case look up the symbols on morningstar.com and the expense will be listed. I would look for index funds with low expense ratio. Most of the non-index will probably be 1-2% in expense.
Thanks, Amoeba. I will keep this in mind when choosing other stocks in the near future. So far I my portfolio seems to be doing well, although it could be better. My YTD shows a return of 7% so far. I just need to allocate some time to speak with a IA/FA and personalize my portfolio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
I was talking about the expense ratios when I said fund fees. In retrospect, I should have been more specific. Since originally posting this, I've also made some upgrades to my excel spreadsheet. Here is the current version with sample funds and fund information (from morningstar) populated:
http://www.gceenterprises.com/jlcnuk...on%20Tool.xlsx
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by nikkeiS2K; 06-29-2014 at 05:17 PM.
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #43
nikkeiS2K

Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
What a shitty day
Old 07-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #44
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkeiS2K View Post
What a shitty day
Ups and downs... the long-term is what is important for investing.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog posts:

Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:11 AM   #45
nikkeiS2K

Spoke too soon lol
The last two days were shitty days as everyone knows
Old 08-02-2014, 02:42 AM   #46
KingBee

My Ride: IR '03 M3
Wow look at all this useless information....graphs and even percentages whoa buddy watch out!!! Better stop having fun so you can live til you're 80 wooopdee****indoo...

AA exhaust, PSS10, TMS sways, 5mm rear spacers, more to come!
KingBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #47
evolved

My Ride: 2015 Chevy SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBee View Post
Wow look at all this useless information....graphs and even percentages whoa buddy watch out!!! Better stop having fun so you can live til you're 80 wooopdee****indoo...

Present
2015 Chevrolet SS
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:35 AM   #48
KingBee

My Ride: IR '03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
What part are you having trouble understanding? As much fun as that would be to put into graph form...I wouldn't waste my precious time

AA exhaust, PSS10, TMS sways, 5mm rear spacers, more to come!

Last edited by KingBee; 08-04-2014 at 02:36 AM.
KingBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #49
Wraisil

Quote:
Quote:
What part are you having trouble understanding? As much fun as that would be to put into graph form...I wouldn't waste my precious time
There is a significant difference between "save for retirement" and "stop having fun". For responsible adults, the information here is far from useless. For YOLO kids, well... hopefully someday they'll turn into responsible adults..

My blog posts:

Old 08-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #50
RelaxIN

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Subscribing....
RelaxIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #51
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:

Troll is trolling hard
“But as I look overall at the capitalist economies, there are a lot of good things doing, and I think you can tune the tax parameters and get way more equity and get some additional government services and still be in the same basic framework.”
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #52
nikkeiS2K

My 401K has been hurting recently.
Lost 1/2 of my gains for the year in just the past week alone
Old 10-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #53
Amoeba

Interesting. Don't think S&P dropped that much the past week.

Did you choose actively managed funds?

Old 10-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #54
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:

How diversified are your funds?
“But as I look overall at the capitalist economies, there are a lot of good things doing, and I think you can tune the tax parameters and get way more equity and get some additional government services and still be in the same basic framework.”

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 10-04-2014 at 05:10 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:37 PM   #55
evolved

My Ride: 2015 Chevy SS
Quote:
I'd be curious to see what your overall mix is.....heavy on the REIT side?

Present
2015 Chevrolet SS
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:53 AM   #56
nikkeiS2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
Interesting. Don't think S&P dropped that much the past week.

Did you choose actively managed funds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post

How diversified are your funds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I'd be curious to see what your overall mix is.....heavy on the REIT side?
OMG I am down to another huge loss.
Is now the time to buy?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-10-11 at 12.52.29 AM.png
Views:	143
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	576926  

Last edited by nikkeiS2K; 10-11-2014 at 03:54 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #57
Wraisil

Unless you're about to retire, it's pretty much ALWAYS time to buy into retirement investments. I haven't reviewed your funds and I'm not going to tell you what to buy or sell, but that's one of the basic premises of retirement investing. It's a long-term prospect and focusing on monthly, daily, semi-annual returns for anything other than evaluating your investment choices (which really shouldn't be done more than annually imo) is counter-productive.

My blog posts:

Old 10-30-2014, 11:27 PM   #58
nikkeiS2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
Unless you're about to retire, it's pretty much ALWAYS time to buy into retirement investments. I haven't reviewed your funds and I'm not going to tell you what to buy or sell, but that's one of the basic premises of retirement investing. It's a long-term prospect and focusing on monthly, daily, semi-annual returns for anything other than evaluating your investment choices (which really shouldn't be done more than annually imo) is counter-productive.
I know I should think long-term and not check my returns on a daily/monthly (haven't reached yearly yet) basis, but I had to change my funds around because it was for the better. I am just under 10% returns for the year again up from around 1.38%. I was previous at over 10%. Ya, I lost that much, which all happened about 2 weeks ago. I did more research on the new funds I had chosen and think I am better off now. I am an amateur at this stuff, so I cannot blame myself for having a lot of ups and down in the beginning. I just need to remember to think long-term.

As for yourself you only check your funds yearly? What time of the year do you check them?

Last edited by nikkeiS2K; 10-30-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:44 AM   #59
Amoeba

You're trying to time the market, don't. The best approach to long-term retirement investing is to pick a diversified set of index funds and just leave it there to ride through the ups and downs. It has been proven again and again that passive investing outperforms trying to pick winners. Especially with a investment horizon of 30+ years.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:15 AM   #60
Wraisil

Quote:
I know I should think long-term and not check my returns on a daily/monthly (haven't reached yearly yet) basis, but I had to change my funds around because it was for the better. I am just under 10% returns for the year again up from around 1.38%. I was previous at over 10%. Ya, I lost that much, which all happened about 2 weeks ago. I did more research on the new funds I had chosen and think I am better off now. I am an amateur at this stuff, so I cannot blame myself for having a lot of ups and down in the beginning. I just need to remember to think long-term.

As for yourself you only check your funds yearly? What time of the year do you check them?
My 401k is set to re-balance quarterly and I evaluate what funds I'm in when I do taxes each year. I see what the balance is more often than that (all my accounts are linked to my USAA account so I can get a big picture view of my finances), but I'm good at ignoring it. My brokerage account gets more attention, but I trade as well as invest in that account.

One thing that will help in the future is seeing the swings, but knowing your returns. Once you see a 5% drop, but recognize that thanks to the power of compounding over time you are still up a large % overall then the peaks and valleys start to have much less impact.

Being down $500 in a day when you're up $10k or $100k doesn't sting as much as watching "almost all" of your total gains disappearing. Until you reach that point, it's just a matter of reminding yourself that what you see happening to your account "in the moment" means nothing. Investing is a journey in which you need to ignore 95% of the trip.

My blog posts: