Retirement savings for people without the option of 401k? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #1
pawa_k2001

My Ride: 2002 M3
Retirement savings for people without the option of 401k?

What are the best steps and options for people that don't have an option for a matched 401k. (self employed)

Roth IRA is maxed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Suspension: AST 4100 GTS, Vorshlag camber plates, Turner limiters, Reinforced subframe, All new RTAB, RSM, FCAB,
Engine: SS V1 Headers, SS Catless Section 1, Evolve R Software, BMC Filter, BW Intake Elbow
Brakes: ZCP drilled rotors, Turner brake lines, Super Blue brake fluid, BW Brake Stiffeners
Wheels: Stock 18" W/ Dunlop Star Spec 275/35/18 275/35/18
pawa_k2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:17 AM   #2
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
What are the best steps and options for people that don't have an option for a matched 401k. (self employed)

Roth IRA is maxed.
If you have no employees, you should be eligible to open a Solo 401k plan. If you do have employees, then you can utilize a SEP IRA plan instead or start your own company 401k plan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog posts:

Last edited by Wraisil; 10-13-2016 at 06:18 AM.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #3
pawa_k2001

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
If you have no employees, you should be eligible to open a Solo 401k plan. If you do have employees, then you can utilize a SEP IRA plan instead or start your own company 401k plan.
The business is a LLC Partnership that is taxed as an S Corp. There are no employees but the partner is not interested in opening any accounts for the business(can I just open a Solo 401k just for myself). What is the best option for a situation like this? Or should I just open a taxable account and invest into VTSAX(some international later)?

Suspension: AST 4100 GTS, Vorshlag camber plates, Turner limiters, Reinforced subframe, All new RTAB, RSM, FCAB,
Engine: SS V1 Headers, SS Catless Section 1, Evolve R Software, BMC Filter, BW Intake Elbow
Brakes: ZCP drilled rotors, Turner brake lines, Super Blue brake fluid, BW Brake Stiffeners
Wheels: Stock 18" W/ Dunlop Star Spec 275/35/18 275/35/18
pawa_k2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
The business is a LLC Partnership that is taxed as an S Corp. There are no employees but the partner is not interested in opening any accounts for the business(can I just open a Solo 401k just for myself). What is the best option for a situation like this? Or should I just open a taxable account and invest into VTSAX(some international later)?
I don't have much experience with them as I've never needed them, but I'd expect the business has to be included on the account so you're probably screwed, but I'd look into it if I were you. Fidelity or any of the other similar firms would be happy to answer your questions for free with more knowledge on the subject than I have. The same applies for SEP IRA's, I know the very basics but have no experience with them to discuss specifics about them, sorry.

My blog posts:

Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #5
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
If you are opening a solo 401k they typically report to the IRS under your SSN. there isn't any business registration or reporting under the account itself.

Look into a SEP IRA as well... you can contribute up to $53k (something like that) every year or up to 25% of your income, independent of any traditional or roth contributions.

JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #6
BedazzledBlue

My Ride: Car
For me, one of the best alternatives are to plan ahead or save ahead of time, cut on unnecessary expenses or rather get a second job. Online or a freelance jobs are in demand nowadays.
BedazzledBlue is offline   Reply With Quote