So....the "consensus" on global warming was a crock all along? - Page 310 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #6181
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Lets not forget the amount of carbon that would emitted by the airplane/ship ride plus the car to get those dirty people to the apartment in the building you live in.

Man, immigrants really are the cause of the world's problems huh? Just remember, there were plenty of people who thought Jews really were the cause of everyone's problems.
Funny a fictional book I am reading about British spies during WWII had a line in it:

"Nationalism and Patriotism are not one in the same, Nationalism is a stepping stone to Fascism"

Sound like anything going on now a days??

Last edited by bgsmith; 07-22-2019 at 05:18 PM.
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #6182
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
Lets not forget the amount of carbon that would emitted by the airplane/ship ride plus the car to get those dirty people to the apartment in the building you live in.

Man, immigrants really are the cause of the world's problems huh? Just remember, there were plenty of people who thought Jews really were the cause of everyone's problems.
Listen, if you're going to claim this is an existential threat you have to look at every source of carbon emission increases. I'm saying it's not a threat, I'm only asking you to be consistent. Fact is, humans would be a net less contributor without current migration patterns.

How big is Tom Steyers house again?.hmm, awfully close to the beach huh

https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map...2/view/google/

Last edited by Act of God; 07-22-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:28 PM   #6183
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
So....the "consensus" on global warming was a crock all along?

When are you going to actually respond to difficult questions that have been posed numerous times in this thread to your misinformed spamming of BS articles?

Oh wait you’ll deflect into BUT OMG THE LEFT IS HYPOCRITICAL. **** off idiot. You’re worthless. You definitely perpetuate the stereotype that lawyers are ****ing **********s.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by WDE46; 07-22-2019 at 06:28 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #6184
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
How is any of this tin foil hat? You live in Somalia/Afghanistan/Ecuador you don't have AC and you don't use heat. You come to the US you use heat and are more likely to have AC to use. Your reliance upon fossil fuels is increased and your carbon output is increased by your move.
So your suggesting those who live in Somalia/Afghanistan/Ecuador should be consigned to live in sweltering misery so that you can luxuriate in your AC without adding to the CO2 induced swelter, whether here or there?

By the way, big parts of mountainous Afghanistan can be bitterly cold - your dreaded brown people don't all come from toasty low-latitude places.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:02 PM   #6185
Rhumb

Quote:
Listen, if you're going to claim this is an existential threat you have to look at every source of carbon emission increases. I'm saying it's not a threat, I'm only asking you to be consistent. Fact is, humans would be a net less contributor without current migration patterns.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I recall that Steyers big house was carbon negative.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:12 PM   #6186
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
When are you going to actually respond to difficult questions that have been posed numerous times in this thread to your misinformed spamming of BS articles?

Oh wait you’ll deflect into BUT OMG THE LEFT IS HYPOCRITICAL. **** off idiot. You’re worthless. You definitely perpetuate the stereotype that lawyers are ****ing **********s.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Calm down cupcake. Just because someone shagged your girl and she liked it, is no reason to act out like the prepubescent child you are.
Deep breaths, there you go.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #6187
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post

Because of the indulgences, I mean carbon offsets he purchased.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:12 PM   #6188
Act of God

Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
It’s on the water while he spends his billions telling us that the wAter level is rising...get it yet!
Old 07-22-2019, 10:13 PM   #6189
Act of God

Quote:
So your suggesting those who live in Somalia/Afghanistan/Ecuador should be consigned to live in sweltering misery so that you can luxuriate in your AC without adding to the CO2 induced swelter, whether here or there?

By the way, big parts of mountainous Afghanistan can be bitterly cold - your dreaded brown people don't all come from toasty low-latitude places.
I’m not advocating Anything, I’m saying if you believe this is an existential threat act like it
Old 07-23-2019, 12:58 AM   #6190
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
There's no work to show but I look forward to your percentage based analysis of the "facts" on this one.

Consumption does absolutely depend on a lot of things but I can say for damn sure that my electric bill in the summer (attributed to AC use) is higher than my heat bill in the winter and it's cold AF here.
THAT's the basis of your claim?
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #6191
RayPooley

There you go!! Get stuck into that.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/scien...ence-sun-space
Old 07-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #6192
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Funny a fictional book I am reading about British spies during WWII had a line in it:

"Nationalism and Patriotism are not one in the same, Nationalism is a stepping stone to Fascism"

Sound like anything going on now a days??
It's shockingly similar and that's why it's alarming. I don't think most of the peanut gallery here knows the history of how Hitler came to power and I don't think they want to.

Quote:

If this is all you've got I recommend you shut it and go home. You're now reaching so far that you're going to dislocate your shoulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
THAT's the basis of your claim?
Seems to be better than any of the claims you've ever made.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #6193
SamDoe1

Quote:
There you go!! Get stuck into that.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/scien...ence-sun-space
Maybe you should try here instead of your BS websites that post opinion pieces with clickbait titles rather than actual data.

https://climate.nasa.gov/
https://www.noaa.gov/categories/climate-change

Last edited by SamDoe1; 07-23-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #6194
RayPooley

Quote:
Seems to be better than any of the claims you've ever made.
My car is more efficient than my neighbours. How do I know? Because I spend less money on petrol.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #6195
SamDoe1

Quote:
My car is more efficient than my neighbours. How do I know? Because I spend less money on petrol.
Do you know how much your neighbors spend? How fast they drive? How far they drive? What their habits are? How they maintain their car?

Guessing no so you still, as usual, have nothing. Carry on.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:21 AM   #6196
RayPooley

Quote:
Maybe you should try here instead of your BS websites that post opinion pieces with clickbait titles rather than actual data.

https://climate.nasa.gov/
https://www.noaa.gov/categories/climate-change
The Express is a UK national media outlet. Been around for 120 years. The Northumbria University, the University of Bradford, the University of Hull as well as Azerbaijan’s Nasir al-Din al-Tusi Shamakhi Astrophysical Observatory. You know what they have in common, apart from honesty? They aren't receiving government handouts to produce affirmative climate change propoganda.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:24 AM   #6197
RayPooley

Quote:
Do you know how much your neighbors spend? How fast they drive? How far they drive? What their habits are? How they maintain their car?

Guessing no so you still, as usual, have nothing. Carry on.
Yes I do actually. He's a mate of mine. But, of course, you miss the point of the comment competely because you are a dummy. It is using exactly the same logic that you use to conclude that AC systems are more expensive to run than CH systems. The size of your fuel bills.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #6198
Rhumb

Quote:
It’s on the water while he spends his billions telling us that the wAter level is rising...get it yet!
Yes, seems it is, way up on SEA CLIFF AVENUE, which, being on a SEA CLIFF, means it's a long ways up from the actual water.

Even given his houses proximity to the sea, wouldn't that mean he has some actual skin (real estate) in the game, and thus more likely to speak out against AGW and its effects on sea level, not less? It certainly doesn't mean he's wrong or insincere. I thought many of you on the right harbored a deferential instinct towards rich, successful, property-owning men.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #6199
SamDoe1

Quote:
The Express is a UK national media outlet. Been around for 120 years. The Northumbria University, the University of Bradford, the University of Hull as well as Azerbaijan’s Nasir al-Din al-Tusi Shamakhi Astrophysical Observatory. You know what they have in common, apart from honesty? They aren't receiving government handouts to produce affirmative climate change propoganda.
Quote:
The University of Hull is a public research university in Kingston upon Hull, a city in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England.
Quote:
The University of Bradford is a public, plate glass university located in the city of Bradford, West Yorkshire, England.
Quote:
Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (they run the observatory), located in Baku, is the main state research organization and the primary body that conducts research and coordinates activities in the fields of science and social sciences in Azerbaijan.

Swing and a miss! All you really need to do is hit up Google once in a while.

Quote:
Yes I do actually. He's a mate of mine. But, of course, you miss the point of the comment competely because you are a dummy. It is using exactly the same logic that you use to conclude that AC systems are more expensive to run than CH systems. The size of your fuel bills.
Key word here. Keep swinging you'll eventually get it!
Old 07-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #6200
SamDoe1

Quote:
Automakers have struck a deal with California that would circumvent the Trump administration's pending freeze of fuel efficiency standards.

Four automakers agreed Thursday to produce vehicles that could average 50 mpg by 2026, undercutting efforts by the Trump administration to freeze them at 37 mpg.

The proposed rollback from the Trump administration has set up a clash with California which, for decades, has been allowed to create its own stricter standard that has in turn been adopted by other states.
The deal between the California Air Resources Board and Honda, Volkswagen, Ford and BMW of North America gives the companies an extra year to meet standards that are nearly as ambitious as those developed under former President Obama, designed to end the dueling federal and state fuel standards.

The four automakers that signed on to the deal represent just 30 percent of the market, but that could grow as other manufacturers dissatisfied with the federal-state spat join the deal--something California is advocating.

“This agreement represents a feasible and acceptable path to accomplishing the goals of California and the automobile industry,” said CARB Chair Mary D. Nichols. “If the White House does not agree, we will move forward with our current standards but work with individual carmakers to implement these principles. At the same time, if the current federal vehicle standards proposal is finalized, we will continue to enforce our regulations and pursue legal challenges to the federal rule.”

A joint statement from the automakers said they struck the deal out of a need for consistency.

“These terms will provide our companies much-needed regulatory certainty by allowing us to meet both federal and state requirements with a single national fleet, avoiding a patchwork of regulations while continuing to ensure meaningful greenhouse gas emissions reductions,” the group said.

The Trump administration has claimed the lowering fuel efficiency standards will help people afford new cars, but critics say it will help fast-track greenhouse gas emissions from transportation--already the largest sector of such pollution.

The four automakers that signed on to the deal represent just 30 percent of the market, but that could grow as other manufacturers dissatisfied with the federal-state spat could join the deal.

Though automakers initially supported the concept of a change to the Obama-era fuel standards, they changed course as the Trump administration plans developed.

The administration and California, alongside other states, have been feuding over the fuel rollback.

Negotiations between the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the two agencies that develop the fuel standard, have been at a standstill.

That tension was showcased in Congress in June, when Nichols came to testify before Congress, only to have EPA Administrator Andrew Wheeler send a letter to lawmakers beforehand with his explanation for why negotiations had broken down.

The Trump administration contends freezing fuel efficiency standards will help keep the cost of cars down, helping consumers replace old cars with new ones that are safer and more fuel efficient.

“We know that consumers are less likely to replace their older, less safe car with a newer, safer car if that newer, safer car is 20 percent more expensive,” Heidi King, deputy administrator NHTSA, told lawmakers in June.

But several lawmakers said such a move stands to benefit only the oil industry.

“What exactly are you hoping to accomplish?” Rep. Paul Tonko (D-N.Y.) asked administration officials as they appeared before the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

“At best it isn’t clear. A reasonable observer would be forgiven for seeing an Administration so blinded by contempt for its predecessors and so willing to hurt consumers to support oil companies at any cost that it would defy science and common sense to move forward with a proposal with near universal condemnation from stakeholders,” Tonko added.

Democrats from California and Michigan, a state with a strong auto industry presence, praised the deal.

“This move highlights that the Trump EPA’s so-called ‘SAFE Vehicles’ rule is dead on arrival. It’s bad for our climate. It’s bad for consumers. It’s bad for the auto industry,” said Rep. Doris Mastui (D-Calif.), “I strongly urge all automakers to support this reasonable path forward that could prevent years of litigation and economic uncertainty.”

Rep. Debbie Dingell (D-Mich.) hopes the agreement will be used to drive EPA back to the bargaining table.

“This is a positive development. The auto industry needs certainty. This industry is more fragile than many realize. If the United States is to be competitive, we have to stay at the forefront of innovation and technology, which will help us transition to the next generation of more fuel-efficient vehicles,” she said in a statement. “I would urge this framework to be a catalyst for all stakeholders to go back to the table. It would be win-win for everyone.”
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...ency-deal-with