E46 Fanatics Forum banner

[Release] MS45 Flasher (name subject to change)

91K views 125 replies 36 participants last post by  eurobred 
#1 · (Edited)
Releasing my MS45 flashing app.

Uses Ediabaslib for communications. If you have a functional INPA install, you shouldn't have to mess with anything else. If you don't have ediabas installed, you'll need to grab a copy of ms450ds0.prg and make a couple edits to the config file.

Allows you to read and write full and partial binaries on the MS45.0 and MS45.1 DMEs. A tune read/write should take about a minute (never really timed it, but it's quick). Full read and write are about 15 minutes give or take. Oddly enough I found full writes are faster on the car rather than on the bench.

Automatically corrects all checksums and generates a valid RSA signature. This means the DME will attempt to execute whatever you send to it - so be careful making program writes. If you send it bad code, the DME will not be recoverable without a BDM tool. A full backup is strongly recommended before you do anything.

I've tested the application a fair bit, and it's fairly reliable. Very rarely the DME will kinda get stuck and refuse to grant security access - power cycling fixes that. That said, with more people using the app, I'm sure you guys will find bugs that I never would have imagined. The nice thing is this app is open source, so you can fix and improve it yourselves even if I'm too busy.

Usual disclaimers apply. The app can render your DME unbootable, flashing bad data might cause your car to behave unpredictably, etc. I'm not responsible for anything that happens either directly or indirectly as a result of this application.

Without further ado:
Github repo
Compiled binary

Also I'd like to note that I never would have learned so much about the MS45 without hassmaschine's help. The both of us (but mostly him) have been working on a tuning suite over at bimmerlabs. It's still in its infancy, but do check it out now and then. We think it'll turn into a pretty nice platform for tuning these BMW DMEs.

See less See more
#41 ·
MS 45.1 DME related question, so if I'm not in the right spot, please forgive me. I'm hoping to help out others that may be having the same issues...

I have 5 E46's (1 MS42, 3 MS43, and 1 MS45.1)
I bought the 2004 325i, MS45.1, and it's doing some ~really~ weird things. Things that I can't research through the normal channels, because it's a SULEV car. :/

Question: Can the DME be the probable cause of a repeated, partial system shutdown? (further details below, I'll try to keep it simple as possible)

-Car will start and run perfectly, for about 15 min, then just *poof* shuts off. - restarts right away, shorter run time, and shuts off, restart it, even shorter run time, and it shuts off. NO CEL, stored codes, or anything remotely indicating a problem.
(Acts just like a clogged fuel filter, but definitely not the case, as it gets weirder from here)
If I restart a few times, when it quits running (Ignition still in run position), it's like the ignition is being toggled off and on, with Traction control light, brake light, CEL, and EML coming on and off about the frequency of a turn signal. It also toggles the fuel pump module.
I have a very remote and quiet workshop, and the only two things I can hear during the toggle is the fuel pump, and if I unplug it, I can hear a slight toggled buzz from the Throttle body. No relays clicking, or anything of the sort. (cover off the engine bay DME housing)

so I'm asking (because it's a SULEV and there's virtually no documentation of them online anywhere) Is it possible the DME can be taking a crap? (internals heating up and going bonkers?)

Or, even better, has anyone even experienced this same problem?

ANY info is greatly appreciated, and as of right now, I'm going to install the flasher, and see if I can even read the DME...

#51 ·
Sounds like you have a wiring or component issue of some sort. I had a similar problem when changing the factory DME out for an aftermarket one. The power was back feeding through some relays etc such that it would shut down from overtemp caused by current leakage. It would also give problems on shutdown as power was back feeding through sensors and relays causing the DME to boot and then turning off the offending relay which would cut power causing the cycle again and again.

Check for bad grounds, blown fuses, sensors etc. Pull relays one at a time to see if it stops "cycling" and also check ones behind the fuse box.

#42 ·
UPDATE:

Cannot connect to the DME using the flasher, but INPA works, just everything is in German, so it's Uber hard to understand what's going on. :banghead:

Also, probably a major factor in this issue is that some complete knitwit hacked up the OBD2 wires to add a vehicle tracker/GPS locator. :loco:

I'm guessing at some point in this car's life it was financed through a Mom-and-Pops car lot, and the installer shouldn't have been allowed to touch a car.:ben:

So, off to the junkyard to get an OBD plug and PROPERLY fix the harness, then we'll see what can transpire on the read/write of the DME, or if it's just cooked.

#48 ·
Here's a question I'm hoping someone can answer for me.

2004 325i M56 SULEV KP84870 if you want to be specific.

My question is; Is there any correlation, whatsoever, in any way, between the thermal oil level sensor, and a complete engine shut-down (Electronically)?

As in; Does the oil level sensor have the capability to shut-down the engine as a safety? Could a defective one cause sporadic, engine-kill?

I've got very little hair left to pull out working on this thing.

Next step is a MS43 swap. I've got all the goodies sitting here. It's THAT frustrating...

Any help is always greatly appreciated. =)

#52 ·
I’ve been slowly disassembling the car over the past few days since I made this post. But it turns out that the thermal oil level sensor in the pan on a SULEV, when defective, will cause it to act all kinds of crazy. Replaced the thermal oil level sensor and cannot get the car to duplicate the same shut off issue as I had before. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that that was the whole problem. Seems kind of crappy that a bad sensor would cut the car off completely.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

#54 ·
Blu302 I’m Finding out very quickly that the SULEV cars are unlike anything else on the road as far as the 46s. Especially with the M56 engine. There are a ton of subtle differences between the normal M56 E46 and the SULEV version.
I’ve run the car for several 1hr stints in the garage, with no failure. I’m going to street test it next, with my AAA card handy...lol

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

#57 ·
You're not giving me a whole lot to go on. Did you look at the instructions on the github page? Do you have INPA/Ediabas? Do those work for other tasks? What kind of cable are you using? What's the cable's COM port set to? What's the COM port set to in the .config file?

#64 ·
Hi terra
Yes I have but I have dual plugs so I can run on either dme.

My preferred choice is ms45 and i have a couple of files ready to flash.

I take it the same bench flash harness I use for ms43 will work on ms45. As far as I can see the dme kline and power are the same.