Conversion from auto to manual top operation - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
Satcho

My Ride: 1977 450SL
Conversion from auto to manual top operation

I used the E46Fanatics search...found nothing; tried google search for this website still nothing.

My question is:

(1) What are the detailed steps to convert the convertible top operation from automatic to manual?

(2) Does a vendor provide a kit to enable the conversion?

In advance, thank for information.

Last edited by Solidjake; 10-23-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Satcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
Satcho

Has anyone converted an automatic convertible top operation to a manual?

I found some discussion of the topic on Bimmerforms.com. Just thought someone on E46Fanatic would have insight.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:25 AM   #3
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
You would have to replace the entire top assembly with a manual one. You cannot convert.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous:

All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
All2kool

What is wrong with the automatic operation of your Cabriolet?

Previous:

Old 10-31-2019, 07:56 PM   #5
Satcho

Just seeking to understand what is required, the process and associated costs.

Nothing necessarily wrong with an automatic top. I had previously owned a Cadillac Allante which had a manually operated top which was very easy to operate and never resulted in any problems.

All2kool your statement of inability to convert is not congruent with the Bimmerforums.com. I'm not taking a position on correctness of either party at this juncture, just seeking to understand. Would you explain specifically why the conversion cannot be implemented.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
All2kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satcho View Post
All2kool your statement of inability to convert is not congruent with the Bimmerforums.com.
Perhaps the information you got on another forum wasn't clear. You can change your automatic top to a manual top but you cannot convert an auto to a manual. The mechanics of the closing mechanism at the windshield aren't even close to being the same. I suggest you visit Realoem.com and look at the microfiche of the two tops to see what I mean.

Previous:

Old 12-01-2019, 03:00 PM   #7
Murcie

I have manual Mechanism, Tent is different from the Auto one , you should change the tent from a Manual one which is very hard to find I guess, I didnt see from anyone else except mine
Murcie is offline   Reply With Quote