Brake pad noise 'rubbing' when driving - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #41
papa_g

My Ride: 2005 330ci 'ZHP'
Transmission: GM 5-speed A/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
To be completely honest with you, I'm not sure. I'm sure a bit of googling would tell you. My thought is if one side went bad, the other side will go bad soon too.
So I guess the consensus is that if the bad bearing is due to some kind of acute damage, like hitting a curb, then it is acceptable to just change one side, especially if it's a low mileage car. If it is just from wear and tear on a higher mileage car, good practice to change both sides. I'm at 93k. Let's see what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
papa_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:07 AM   #42
papa_g

A little late on posting this, but when I got my alignment, they investigated the sound. They were sort of able to hear something when turning (forget which way), also he noticed my right tie-rod assembly was slightly bent. I told him that is impossible because the tierods are brand new (20 miles on them at the time). Decided maybe the inner tie rod assembly was bent from an impact to the right wheel, which would explain a damaged wheel bearing. He says symptoms are consistent with a wheel bearing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:22 PM   #43
papa_g

Reviving this thread upon making a new discovery. I normally drive alone, so I hear the sound coming from the right. Recently, I drove with a passenger, and decided to see if they could also hear the rubbing. He said he heard it...coming from the left! Now I know, the sound isn't coming from the wheel, but from somewhere below us! My initial thought was that perhaps some heat shield was making contact with the guibo or drive shaft, so I took a look, but nothing as far as I could tell. Based off the location of the sound, I am thinking now perhaps it is the CSB. I have 95k miles. Does anyone know what a soft-failing CSB sounds like?

Old 11-06-2019, 01:44 AM   #44
papa_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
...I am thinking now perhaps it is the CSB. I have 95k miles. Does anyone know what a soft-failing CSB sounds like?
Bump
Btw itís not the CSB, or anything in the driveshaft. Itís definitely the front wheels. I am attaching a video I made, recreating the sound I am hearing when I drive. Itís gets louder when I brake.
I have new Akebono pads and Zimmermann rotors. What do you guys think; still a sticking caliper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk