Best Angel Eyes in 2019 - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2019, 03:37 PM   #21
Alex323Ci
OE ///MEMBER PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
hey George
yep technology has changed. i years ago bought some OE angel eyes for my E46 because i wanted it to look period correct. lots of hassle to retrofit OE coronas. on my M3 still wanting period correct i made some that look like E39 color. so removed a set of LEDs (after a month that i was giving a try) and installed these. always loved the remote trigger feature when opening and fade out when walking away. amber color was made by BMW because that spectrum can be seen better during daytime lighting that bright white. But BMW gave in after others began bright white because obviously it looked newer tech.

hear the older ccfl are bad in cold weather so LED better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 02-23-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #22
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Thanks Alex. That's cool. I was wondering last night if anyone had retrofitted the OE AEs. I figured a retrofit of OE would be much more involved than an aftermarket kit.

I avoided AEs for a long time because I thought they were a fad. Nope. Now all the other kids (manufacturers) are doing it in some form or another. So, I figured it's cool there is yet another way to modernize the E46, while keeping the relative simplicity of the platform. I keep modernizing and subtly modding this car to keep it up to date, sort-of. I AM driving the care I really want to be driving. Well, I want to do the B30 swap (including brakes) and then it will really be the car I want to drive.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I almost didn't ask because I thought it was such a newbie-type question. So glad I did.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:19 PM   #23
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
Like three years ago when I was replacing the lenses on my car I had stumbled across an uninstalled set of Orion V2s on craigslist for $40 so figured what the hell. They look decent and have lasted, and were easy to install.

I've got a different set of headlights on the car now and haven't yet gotten around to swapping them over, but will hit them with some fine sandpaper before I do to give them some better diffusion going forward.

I'm going to do a set of quad xenons and will reinstall them then.
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2019, 04:02 AM   #24
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
Thanks Alex. That's cool. I was wondering last night if anyone had retrofitted the OE AEs. I figured a retrofit of OE would be much more involved than an aftermarket kit.

I avoided AEs for a long time because I thought they were a fad. Nope. Now all the other kids (manufacturers) are doing it in some form or another. So, I figured it's cool there is yet another way to modernize the E46, while keeping the relative simplicity of the platform. I keep modernizing and subtly modding this car to keep it up to date, sort-of. I AM driving the care I really want to be driving. Well, I want to do the B30 swap (including brakes) and then it will really be the car I want to drive.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I almost didn't ask because I thought it was such a newbie-type question. So glad I did.
OE angel eyes?
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:15 AM   #25
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
OE angel eyes?
E39 were OE

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:22 PM   #26
Alex323Ci
OE ///MEMBER PLUS

Quote:
OE angel eyes?
Original Equipment.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Old 02-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #27
armenh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
E39 were OE
Ah yes E39 but E46 didn't have it. I think the E39 ones were somehow built into the headlight but I haven't taken a deep look
Old 02-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #28
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Ah yes E39 but E46 didn't have it. I think the E39 ones were somehow built into the headlight but I haven't taken a deep look
And E53

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171221_163050.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	768881  

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 02-24-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Overboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:32 PM   #29
armenh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
And E53

Of course having to show the E46's big brother haha
Old 02-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #30
Alex323Ci
OE ///MEMBER PLUS

Quote:
i have an extra set laying around. the headlights were made to accept the OE light rings. but the light source was a small box with a bulb and the solid plastic rings would be illuminated by that at the ring ends.

I remember the first guy who did ccfl rings was on an E30 M3. then companies were started just from the angel eye craze. then an E46 member came up with the harness/relay to trigger on and fade out. had he patented that he’d be rich now. all the companies took it and used his idea.
A lot of start-up companies would fight on the forum nightly trying to corner the new market. Pretty cut-throat stuff.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:46 PM   #31
armenh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
i have an extra set laying around. the headlights were made to accept the OE light rings. but the light source was a small box with a bulb and the solid plastic rings would be illuminated by that at the ring ends.

I remember the first guy who did ccfl rings was on an E30 M3. then companies were started just from the angel eye craze. then an E46 member came up with the harness/relay to trigger on and fade out. had he patented that he’d be rich now. all the companies took it and used his idea.
A lot of start-up companies would fight on the forum nightly trying to corner the new market. Pretty cut-throat stuff.
That's makes sense. I think up until the E90 generation they used the "bulb in" method versus these new ones might be full LED
Old 02-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #32
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
That's makes sense. I think up until the E90 generation they used the "bulb in" method versus these new ones might be full LED
Yep, mine are single bulb that illuminates the entire coronas on each side. They are pretty yellow factory. I changed my bulbs to error free Weisslicht LED and made a significant difference.

No Fear

Old 02-24-2019, 01:57 PM   #33
armenh7

Quote:
Yep, mine are single bulb that illuminates the entire coronas on each side. They are pretty yellow factory. I changed my bulbs to error free Weisslicht LED and made a significant difference.
But it still isn't as bright as full LED rings correct?

Last edited by armenh7; 02-24-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #34
Alex323Ci
OE ///MEMBER PLUS

Quote:
Of course having to show the E46's big brother haha
As I stated, the E39 (in 2001?) was the first model to be introduced by BMW with corona rings (halos/angel eyes).

i bought my E46 Coupe new in late 1999 and got delivery in 2000. when the E39 came out with halos as DRL i wished BMW had made them for the E46.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #35
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
But it still isn't as bright as full LED rings correct?
You are correct. About 75% of the LED halos in my E46. My image above shows the intensity. You quoted me before I could load the right image.

No Fear

Old 02-24-2019, 02:01 PM   #36
armenh7

Quote:
You are correct. About 75% of the LED halos in my E46. My image above shows the intensity. You quoted me before I could load the right image.
:p
Old 02-24-2019, 02:09 PM   #37
Alex323Ci
OE ///MEMBER PLUS

Quote:
well they had aftermarket retrofit LED kits. but “day glow” was a bit cheesey for bmw purists. especially since BMW was holding firm on the merits of amber for being seen during daytime over bright white. But eventually in years they gave in on the color spectrum as other car company DRLs were bright, ex Audi.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #38
armenh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
As I stated, the E39 (in 2001?) was the first model to be introduced by BMW with corona rings (halos/angel eyes).

i bought my E46 Coupe new in late 1999 and got delivery in 2000. when the E39 came out with halos as DRL i wished BMW had made them for the E46.
I wonder what stopped BMW from putting angel eyes in the E46. I don't remember exactly if facelift coupés had angel eyes?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:18 PM   #39
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

E53 started with factory angel eyes with the LCI facelift in 2004+ They were never run as DRL but many have tried to code them with no success. Most end up rewiring them as we do on our E46 for DRL. Mine come on as side lights only. as per LCM in position 1 or 2. You can code them to flash as turn signals though but just too busy for my tastes.

No Fear

Old 02-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #40
Alex323Ci
OE ///MEMBER PLUS

Quote:
I wonder what stopped BMW from putting angel eyes in the E46. I don't remember exactly if facelift coupés had angel eyes?
nope. perhaps they didn’t like the look of different sized rings it would have had? late production to change?

don’t think BMW had any idea how popular it would become. in fact initially many E39 owners wouldn’t have them turned on. too flashy for E39 sedan owners. think Roundel even had an article about that.