AVIN Avant 4 - Installation & First review - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Mobile Electronics Forum

Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #81
skylink

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Agreed, the customer support is spotty for sure. I usually do get a response from my message box or direct email but it could be days before getting an answer. And once I do receive an answer, it usually does not address my question in the first place.

Like all the other Android HU, customer support is lacking and we are left to figure it out on our own and I will usually refer to related forums for advice or knowledge.

That being said, I am very happy with the Avin Avant-4. I am still learning the system but it always takes my tweaks and commands and performs as expected.
Oh well time will tell I hope its great

Last edited by skylink; 05-27-2019 at 01:09 PM. Reason: request
skylink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #82
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylink View Post
Well we will see how the unit shapes up with other users before I think of buying the Avant 4, I have now removed the GPS antenna on the Avant 2 to get it up and running without GPS , Funny that on my other E46 I installed a Andrive unit a few months before the Avant 2 and the Andrive unit is fast stable and the GPS has no issues and was half the price of the Avant 2.
Mine came down to the DSP option feature in my X5. As you point out, there are many other systems for less investment but Avin was the only one that advertised DSP compatibility so I paid a premium for the system. The Android infotainment market is still in its infancy in my opinion, things will change by the month. I suspect there are already drawings and engineering in place for an Avant-5 that will probably release in a years time.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #83
chikoo

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP Cabrio
Quote:
Mine came down to the DSP option feature in my X5. As you point out, there are many other systems for less investment but Avin was the only one that advertised DSP compatibility so I paid a premium for the system. The Android infotainment market is still in its infancy in my opinion, things will change by the month. I suspect there are already drawings and engineering in place for an Avant-5 that will probably release in a years time.
what DSP?
chikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #84
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Mine came down to the DSP option feature in my X5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post
what DSP?
BMW X5 offered a premium sound DSP option

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 05-15-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #85
chikoo

What does this even mean on pg 6 of the manual?

#11. "Factory mode increases mobile phone interconnect function , enter factory mode and press 2 seconds for 3 times in succession ( Increase the phone's automatic start function , insert the phone to automatically identify , pop up APP link , unplug the phone and automatically return to the main interface of the machine )"

https://support.avinusa.com/attachme...l+20180804.pdf
Old 05-15-2019, 04:41 PM   #86
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
What does this even mean on pg 6 of the manual?

#11. "Factory mode increases mobile phone interconnect function , enter factory mode and press 2 seconds for 3 times in succession ( Increase the phone's automatic start function , insert the phone to automatically identify , pop up APP link , unplug the phone and automatically return to the main interface of the machine )"

Those instructions are for the optional Apple Car Play or Android Auto functionality. You need to get into the developer options to enhance the connectivity and features. It requires a separate dongle available from the AVIN website. If you are planning a tethered cable to your phone, I would recommend the Car Play/Android Auto dongle. My preference is wireless so not using Apple Car Play or Android Auto at the moment.

No Fear

Old 05-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #87
chikoo

Quote:
Those instructions are for the optional Apple Car Play or Android Auto functionality. You need to get into the developer options to enhance the connectivity and features. It requires a separate dongle available from the AVIN website. If you are planning a tethered cable to your phone, I would recommend the Car Play/Android Auto dongle. My preference is wireless so not using Apple Car Play or Android Auto at the moment.
I have tethered and it works fine. Just trying to make sense of how to make it better. Evidently, it wants a password when I press for 2 seconds. I have asked Avin @ support.avinusa.com last week and yet to hear back.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:55 PM   #88
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
I have tethered and it works fine. Just trying to make sense of how to make it better. Evidently, it wants a password when I press for 2 seconds. I have asked Avin @ support.avinusa.com last week and yet to hear back.
Pressing what for 2 seconds? Are you trying to get into factory settings? Apps/Car/factory settings. Password 126

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 05-21-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #89
paraklas

My Ride: B30_TS2++
Year: 2001
Transmission: 5-Getrag
New firmware ETA within the next week. Hopefully it will solve some issues..

paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:15 AM   #90
alirz

My Ride: E46 M3 Coupe.2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
New firmware ETA within the next week. Hopefully it will solve some issues..
Or completely make the unit unusable. Does anyone have the firmware file for current version?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
alirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #91
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

So a couple of weeks with the Avant-4 and wanted to put my review in. Mostly working really good, audio is fine and better than original OEM Business CD with mid. There are a few things I didn't understand and I am learning the Android system as I go.

What happened this week was the internal microphone seemed to have failed. It seems to be a common failure on these Chinese units somewhere in the solder joints. Complete static and very low volume on the receiving end of my phone calls. Annoying but took it all back apart and fitted an external microphone up in the alarm ultrasonic panel and that solved that problem.

Second failure was the iGo offline navigation maps app which I paid $50 for when ordering. It worked fine for the first 2 weeks but now when launching the app it gives me a out of memory error and I tried clearing data and cache with no results. I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it also with no results.

I contacted AVIN and got a pretty quick reply asking me to uninstall the app and reinstall it. I replied to their email that I had tried their recommendation and even sent the picture below to them but now has been several days with no response. I believe the SD card gave up and even suggested that to AVIN in my email but not a word from them.

We will see where this goes but for now I am less than satisfied with the support from AVIN. I guess this is common on the Chinese systems but I chose AVIN because of the USA support side but I guess it really does not matter in the end. The support is nearly non-existent from AVIN.

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 05-22-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #92
alirz

Common problem with AVIN support. They are quick to respond to the actual question but they never really address the problem.
I had the same experience in my Avant 2 days.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2019, 12:44 PM   #93
JetBlackE46
Modded

My Ride: E36/E46 M3 E46 323
Quote:
So a couple of weeks with the Avant-4 and wanted to put my review in. Mostly working really good, audio is fine and better than original OEM Business CD with mid. There are a few things I didn't understand and I am learning the Android system as I go.

What happened this week was the internal microphone seemed to have failed. It seems to be a common failure on these Chinese units somewhere in the solder joints. Complete static and very low volume on the receiving end of my phone calls. Annoying but took it all back apart and fitted an external microphone up in the alarm ultrasonic panel and that solved that problem.

Second failure was the iGo offline navigation maps app which I paid $50 for when ordering. It worked fine for the first 2 weeks but now when launching the app it gives me a out of memory error and I tried clearing data and cache with no results. I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it also with no results.

I contacted AVIN and got a pretty quick reply asking me to uninstall the app and reinstall it. I replied to their email that I had tried their recommendation and even sent the picture below to them but now has been several days with no response. I believe the SD card gave up and even suggested that to AVIN in my email but not a word from them.

We will see where this goes but for now I am less than satisfied with the support from AVIN. I guess this is common on the Chinese systems but I chose AVIN because of the USA support side but I guess it really does not matter in the end. The support is nearly non-existent from AVIN.

Sorry to hear that but not surprising. For offline maps, I use HERE. Free and works great.

JetBlackE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #94
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Thanks JBE46. I am using Google Maps currently until AVIN sorts out my issue or refunds me my money. I swear the MicroSD card went tits up. If I load the MicroSD card in my laptop, it opens and can see and read directories but there are some corrupted files like the user manual pdf file and an jpg image provided called "this are the files that should be on the card". Who knows? I just wish AVIN would get their act together on supporting their customers. I know I read the negative comments about my business on forums, I would make sure those customers get the help they need.

BTW, you got any data or video systems in your E36 track car? I know a guy...

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 05-22-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #95
chikoo

Quote:
Pressing what for 2 seconds? Are you trying to get into factory settings? Apps/Car/factory settings. Password 126
No. That is different. This is in the Airplay Box.

see Step #11

Last edited by chikoo; 05-22-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #96
alirz

Anyone has experience using the carplay and android auto adapter? How well does the unit work with that? is it lag free and without bugs
Old 05-24-2019, 05:24 AM   #97
skylink

My Ride: E46
Quote:

Maybe just a SD Problem?

Last edited by skylink; 05-27-2019 at 01:11 PM. Reason: request
skylink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:30 AM   #98
JetBlackE46
Modded

My Ride: E36/E46 M3 E46 323
Quote:
Thanks JBE46. I am using Google Maps currently until AVIN sorts out my issue or refunds me my money. I swear the MicroSD card went tits up. If I load the MicroSD card in my laptop, it opens and can see and read directories but there are some corrupted files like the user manual pdf file and an jpg image provided called "this are the files that should be on the card". Who knows? I just wish AVIN would get their act together on supporting their customers. I know I read the negative comments about my business on forums, I would make sure those customers get the help they need.

BTW, you got any data or video systems in your E36 track car? I know a guy...
Hopefully things get sorted out for you

I've got nothing in the E36....old school

JetBlackE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:44 AM   #99
paraklas

Just wondering, do you guys have the same version?

Old 05-31-2019, 03:44 AM   #100
paraklas

Just wondering, do you guys have the same version?