Shaking while braking and clunking on bad roads - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #1
Atesh

My Ride: 330i
Shaking while braking and clunking on bad roads

Hi everyone!

When I bought my 330i it already had the shaking when braking problem. Only at higher speeds. Lightly touching the brake at around 70mph to slow down at an exit would make the steering wheel shake.

I replaced the tires and had them balanced because the tires were old anyway. That did not fix the issue. At that time I noticed that my tie rods were bad too (could move them with my hands easily). So I replaced the tie rods and lower control arms. This did not fix the issue either. I kept driving it like that for almost a year and now I am finally going to replace the brake rotors as a last resort (thinking my rotors might be warped).

But recently I have also noticed a lot of clunking when driving on bad roads especially at slow speeds. Never on highways etc. As I had replaced my tie rods and lower control arms, I thought that this might be due to bad shocks. I do see some leakage on my right front strut but now I also discovered that my left tie rod is bad again! What is going on here?

Did me not replacing my brake rotors cause the tie rod to go bad again by shaking the crap out of it for a year?

I would really appreciate some advice on this. This is becoming expensive. Thank you for any help you can offer!
Atesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
Josh911ci

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Year: 2000
Model: 323ci
Transmission: 5spd
Hey, Atesh sorry to hear your woes.

Did you replace your rotors? I believe that could be causing you vibration. I had the same vibrating problem on my 323ci replacing the rotors fixed it. Though it did kill one of my inner tie rod joints. Make sure you replace those as well.

I'm pretty sure warped rotors can shake balljoints to death, and I wouldn't be surprised if that is where your clunking is coming from too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Zcp, Slicktop, Manual seats, 5spd
m54b30 swap
Josh911ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:46 PM   #3
Caleb3677

My Ride: 2002 330cic
If you haven't already I would look into changing your front control arm bushings. I had similar wheel shake and clunking when braking with clunking over some bumps and changing the FCABs cured it. They're a cheap and relatively easy part to replace as well so I would give that a shot.
Caleb3677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 06:50 PM   #4
ReeceEngM54

My Ride: E46 330ci
The cause of your issue sounds like whats commonly described as warped brake rotors. Some symptoms of that issue are worn out suspension components in related areas. Things like control arms, control arm bushings, and the strut tower mount can wear out from the shaking.
ReeceEngM54 is offline   Reply With Quote