2001 E46 325Ci trunk (deck/boot) lid - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #1
Gosling1

2001 E46 325Ci trunk (deck/boot) lid

All -

Odd question here - on my recently acquired 2001 E46 325 Ci vert, when I activate the trunk "release" on the fob, the trunk mechanism unlocks for a few seconds like it's supposed to, but the trunk lid itself doesn't "pop up" - even a little bit. I've just replaced the gas lifts/springs with new ones with no improvement noted - is the trunk lid on these cars *supposed* to pop up a little or does one have to be ready to lift it up manually? Odd question, I know - but I don't want to be chasing "windmills" if it's not supposed to do so...thanks in advance!
Gosling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #2
LL i am

My Ride: 2001 325ci
2001 325ci (non-vert) doesn't pop up, not supposed to, unless you do the spring over lift support mod
LL i am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:38 PM   #3
nylpug

My Ride: 325i (M56), 330ivert
Year: 2003
my 2002 330cic trunk doesn't pop up. I am pretty sure they do not. Once you press the truck button on the fob, you will hear a sound. Then you just manually lift it up yourself. It doesn't "pop-up" it self.
nylpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #4
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylpug View Post
Once you press the truck button on the fob, you will hear a sound. Then you just manually lift it up yourself. It doesn't "pop-up" it self.
And here is a bit of advice - lift the trunk by the bottom of the trunk itself and not the plastic handle, which will in due time break off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous:

All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #5
Gosling1

Many thanks all! Glad to get that cleared up before wasting anymore time on it.

The "spring over lift support mod" - worthwhile? Just curious

Thanks again - Daniel
Gosling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #6
LL i am

My Ride: 2001 325ci
The "spring over lift support mod" - worthwhile? Just curious

before I replaced with new "stabilus" lift, besides putting much pressure on the trunk lift when opening, I found it not safe trying to catch a closing heavy trunk. I could have used a spring to pop it up, but I wasn't looking.
I think it's an OK mod. I read it here somewhere.
LL i am is offline   Reply With Quote