Cheap E46 Bushing Tool Set - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 03:01 AM   #1
STAATS

My Ride: 2003 BMW E46 M3
Cheap E46 Bushing Tool Set

Just found this Bushing Tool set on eBay for pretty cheap:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-E36-...5bQ:rk:36:pf:0

~$89 for a tool set that should do all of the rear bushings on the car other than the RTAB by the looks

Not bad considering the Baum Tools set would be ~$500-600 to your door in Aust and even the cheaper KTC would be ~$350-400 to your door when available...

Anyone got this kit / have a review?... I'm thinking for the money I might give it a crack as I need to do my front Diff bushing and all my Rear Trailing arm rose joints (RTAB already done).
STAATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #2
STAATS

Found the same set somewhere else where it actually has brand and part number details:
https://www.amazon.com/WINTOOLS-Diff.../dp/B07G74K643

It appears the set is from WINTOOLS.

I know my S54 timing bridge was from ASTA which was a cheap Chinese knock-off and it worked great for the price...

Can't find a review for the WINTOOLS kit but it does look like the Schwaben kit from ECS Tuning (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben.../024979sch01a/) is just a rebadged version of it and it has average reviews... hmmm
Old 08-05-2019, 02:22 AM   #3
STAATS

Found out Rajvosa had one of those cheap sets and went to borrow it off him but the all-thread was already broken... I did consider just getting another all-thread and using the cups and drifts from his set but I realised non of it was hardened which is probably part of why he ended up breaking the all-thread...

So instead I ended up going big and getting this kit:
https://www.ozwidetools.com.au/bmw-e...sh-remover-ins

Which is just a rebranded H.C.B kit but was cheaper through ozwidetools directly then from an overseas eBay supplier or the like.

I just used it to do all my RTA ball joints and it was amazing I had the thing swimming in grease and froze the bushings before I pulled them in and they went in a treat... now I just need to do my front diff bush and then I am trying to find a way to pull in my CMP Solid Subframe bushings... (I refused to pay $480AUD for the subframe kit knowing I only have to use it once)

I had bought this kit accidentally:
https://www.ozwidetools.com.au/bmw-d...removal-and-in

Originally reading that this was the right size for the front diff bush on the E46 M3... I can confirm it isnt and the bigger kit I have above has the right sized gear for the front diff bush... but it is about the right size for the subframe bushes so hoping to try rig something up there...

When I am done I may be putting the Differential kit (https://www.ozwidetools.com.au/bmw-d...removal-and-in) up for sale and I am considering setting up a rental program with the rear trailing arm set (https://www.ozwidetools.com.au/bmw-e...sh-remover-ins) and my S54 timing tool set... but I am not yet decided...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 03:50 AM   #4
KendrickC

My Ride: '03 325i
Year: 2003
Model: 325i
Transmission: 6MT
I'd be interested in the differential bushing set.

Is the rear diff bushing the same size on both the M and the non-M?

'03 325 6MT Estoril Blue

Last edited by KendrickC; 08-05-2019 at 03:50 AM.
KendrickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:39 AM   #5
STAATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendrickC View Post
I'd be interested in the differential bushing set.

Is the rear diff bushing the same size on both the M and the non-M?
We may be in business then when I am done with it... not really interested in holding on to a tool or running rental with it if I have no need for it ever again so I just need to confirm that.

The rear diff bushings on the E46M are not replaceable you need to replace the cover unless you demo them out and then install Poly ones which dont need a press.

The front diff bush on the E46M was the same as the bushing on the RTA so I ended up using that same tool. I incorrectly bought this non-M REAR diff tool as I had read it was able to be used for the E46M FRONT diff bush but i can confirm this is not correct and the Rear Trailing Arm Bush Tool set can be used to do the E46M FRONT diff bush.

Originally I thought I could use the Rear Trailing Arm Bush set to do my subfram bushes but i cannot, but mocking up the sizing of this non-M REAR diff bush tool and im pretty confident it will be able to install the CMP Solids but it could not be used to remove subframe bushings so it may work in my case as I am replacing Poly subframe bushings which I can push out without a press... so its more blind luck that I may be able to use this tool instead of the proper designed subframe tool set... but as they are solids and this tool will only be useful to me for installing subframe bushes then after that I should never need it again.

As a result the tool is only useful for:
  • Replacing the REAR diff bush on a non-M E46
  • With a bit of smarts pulling in new Subframe bushes once old ones have been removed (not yet confirmed).
Old 08-09-2019, 06:26 AM   #6
KendrickC

My Ride: '03 325i
Year: 2003
Model: 325i
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by STAATS View Post
We may be in business then when I am done with it... not really interested in holding on to a tool or running rental with it if I have no need for it ever again so I just need to confirm that.

The rear diff bushings on the E46M are not replaceable you need to replace the cover unless you demo them out and then install Poly ones which dont need a press.

The front diff bush on the E46M was the same as the bushing on the RTA so I ended up using that same tool. I incorrectly bought this non-M REAR diff tool as I had read it was able to be used for the E46M FRONT diff bush but i can confirm this is not correct and the Rear Trailing Arm Bush Tool set can be used to do the E46M FRONT diff bush.

Originally I thought I could use the Rear Trailing Arm Bush set to do my subfram bushes but i cannot, but mocking up the sizing of this non-M REAR diff bush tool and im pretty confident it will be able to install the CMP Solids but it could not be used to remove subframe bushings so it may work in my case as I am replacing Poly subframe bushings which I can push out without a press... so its more blind luck that I may be able to use this tool instead of the proper designed subframe tool set... but as they are solids and this tool will only be useful to me for installing subframe bushes then after that I should never need it again.

As a result the tool is only useful for:
  • Replacing the REAR diff bush on a non-M E46
  • With a bit of smarts pulling in new Subframe bushes once old ones have been removed (not yet confirmed).
Ah makes sense. Yeah I'm interested. Keep me updated.

'03 325 6MT Estoril Blue

KendrickC is offline   Reply With Quote