Door and body moulding - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
Epidemike

My Ride: 2004 330i
Door and body moulding

Does anyone have a fix to the door and body moulding? I have tried mothers back to black but I wanted something more permanent.

Are there any body colored versions of these body mouldings?

Sorry for using moulding but thats how its listed under the BMW part.
I am talking about part 51138208449-52
Epidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:30 PM   #2
bremerd1

My Ride: 323
Year: 2000
Model: CI
Transmission: ZF 5HP19
I've used Armor All Outlast Trim and Plastic Restorer with some success. It takes several applications over several days if you are restoring something that is really sun faded, but works well if the car is garaged. It'll last a couple of months before you have to reapply it if it's kept in a garage or mostly out of the direct sunlight. It will eventually restore very faded trim (I use it on the black trim around the mirrors), but you have to keep at it to get the trim 'back to black', then re-apply it one a month or so to maintain the black. It doesn't seem to phase the paint if you get it on it (but I wipe up the mess if I get it on the paint; I'm not sure what would happen if it was simply left on there for an extended time).

For something a little more involved (but longer lasting), I have used Forever Black. It's a dye/paint for exterior black trim, and is tough to remove it you get it on your paint. It can also 'streak' if applied ham-handed, so it requires a little finesse to get an even coat. There is quite a bit more prep work required (taping things off, and using some paint prep and/or the included cleaner), but it lasts quite a bit longer---> The better part of two years on a '99 323i, and just now needing re-done. One bottle will do all the black trim on a sedan, and when I did the 99 323i, I did several light coats (simply go around the car several times after doing all the prep (taping off the trim and cleaning it).

In the Florida sunshine/heat/rain, the 'protectant' products like the 'Outlast' product get 'cooked' if they are in the sun nonstop, but the dye doesn't seem phased by it.

I've found that the strip under the windshield seems to fade no matter what, and that it's just easier to occasionally treat it with Outlast so it doesn't turn 'grey' in the sunlight, and if (when) the rubber starts to crack, to just replace it (it's not horribly expensive, and is a pretty easy job to do).

Dan B
bremerd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
Epidemike

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bremerd1 View Post
I've found that the strip under the windshield seems to fade no matter what, and that it's just easier to occasionally treat it with Outlast so it doesn't turn 'grey' in the sunlight, and if (when) the rubber starts to crack, to just replace it (it's not horribly expensive, and is a pretty easy job to do).

Dan B
I've replaced my windshield cowl with a new about 4 years back and it's turned grey in NJ sun. Some of the plastics with the e46 drive me crazy.

I even got euro spec BMW authentic side markers and they've yellowed. Im going to get some aftermarket smoked side markers now...

The body moulding has been a big PITA and by far one of the worse bits of the exterior. I was thinking of maybe dipping them to get a match to the paint, Schwarz metallic.
Epidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
Barrister

My Ride: 330Ci
Never used, but have heard great things about...

Lithium Auto Elixirs Trim Serum

Amazon Link

A bit on the pricey side, however I am intrigued by the results seen and may give it a try.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #5
bremerd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrister View Post
Never used, but have heard great things about...

Lithium Auto Elixirs Trim Serum

Amazon Link

A bit on the pricey side, however I am intrigued by the results seen and may give it a try.
It appears to have mostly good reviews. For $30, it's worth a one-time try. If it makes it a month or two, then it may be worth it.

I've used tire gel on body molding before- it sounds similar to the results I get with that (makes it nice and black, goes on as a thick liquid), but that it lasts longer (I get a week or two from tire gel).

Dan B
Old 07-18-2019, 02:50 PM   #6
///Mark_D

My Ride: 04 325i & 02 325iT
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Magic Erasers (melamine sponges) yet. They are one of the best things out there for removing that white oxidized film on black trim pieces. They can also be used on bare interior plastics as well (not the soft touch coated pieces) to restore the finish to like new.

Melamine sponges are basically a super fine abrasive and will make the exterior trim nice and black again. You just need to be careful not to scrub the paint as you can scuff the clear coat.

When I picked up my E46 wagon last fall the black trim was loaded with white residue from the dealer when they were buffing out the car. All the compound and white oxidation came off with the magic erasers. Afterward I followed up with some Mothers Back to Black to help protect it in the future.

For the front and rear bumper trim I removed those pieces from the car to avoid having to tape off around the sides to protect the paint. The bumper rub strips are easy to pull with a plastic trim tool and I've never had any of the tabs break.

For the rub strips on the doors I left those in place since I didn't want to risk breaking any of the mounting clips. I just used some blue painters tape to mask around the rub strips so I wouldn't accidentally scuff the paint with the eraser sponge.

I don't have any good "before" photos showing just how bad it was but here is an after pic. The center rub strip on the front bumper is brand new (to delete the front license plate) so I had to get the sides looking good enough to match.

(Previous user name mjdehlin)

Last edited by ///Mark_D; 07-18-2019 at 02:51 PM.
///Mark_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:45 PM   #7
bremerd1

I had no idea... My son's 323i is about due for _something, and this looks like something that cheap and easy to try....

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check that out!

Dan B
Old 07-18-2019, 09:56 PM   #8
Barrister

My Ride: 330Ci
Will give the Magic Erasers a try.

Thanks for sharing Mark D!

Old 08-31-2019, 12:53 PM   #9
Archbid

My Ride: 330ci Convertible
Year: 03
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Repaint with colorbond lvp. Clean thoroughly and use adhesion promoter.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote