2004 325ci Engine smoke - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
SkidrowE46

2004 325ci Engine smoke

I recently changed my valve cover gasket as it was leaking but mainly as smoke was coming out from the back of the engine block, but its is still coming out after the replacement, anyone have a similar issue with this or any ideas?
Cheers
SkidrowE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
Sapote

My Ride: 2000 323i auto wagon
did you clean the residual oil off?
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #3
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidrowE46 View Post
I recently changed my valve cover gasket as it was leaking but mainly as smoke was coming out from the back of the engine block, but its is still coming out after the replacement, anyone have a similar issue with this or any ideas?
Cheers
Most likely thereís one or more small cracks in the VC. Pretty common with these old plastic parts. I always try to remind people to carefully look for cracks when they have the VC off. Maybe do a smoke test when itís cold to find leaks?

Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM   #4
SkidrowE46

,,Thanks for the reply, i spent some time cleaning residues away but could only get so far, car was run for about two hours teo days sfter replacement gasket and it was smoking after that, hopefully it is just that so will keep an eye on it,
Cheers
Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM   #5
SkidrowE46

No visible cracks seen on the top, but smoke appears to be coming from the back of the engine, the width of the smoke is wider than the VC, ill jack it up over weekend to see whats going on
Thanks
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM   #6
Solidjake
Shifting

My Ride: 2013 328i 6MT
It might be possible you pinched the gasket in the back and oil is still seeping through. Get a mirror and re-inspect the area.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM   #7
SFRiddler

My Ride: '02 325xi, '88 944T
Exact same thing happened to me. I used a Reinz gasket set sold by O'Reilly. What I found out later was that I had forgot to install the orings on the lower cover bolts. But wait a minute you say, doesn't that mean you had orings left over from the kit? Nope! The kit was 5 orings short (...and it was a completely sealed kit as delivered from the factory). I bought another oring set and installed the 5 on the lower row of bolts and it completely cured the leak. So, the question is "Are you sure you have orings on all the cover bolts?" The orings are required to provide proper sealing pressure across the cover because the bolts will bottom out on their studs and apply no sealing pressure to the cover without them.
SFRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote