Another misfire thread. Out of ideas! - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2019, 05:52 PM   #1
Mmk64

Another misfire thread. Out of ideas!

Hi all, I've been scouring the internet trying to figure out my misfire problem on my 05 325ci manual with 150,000 miles. Initially I was having lean codes and cylinder 1 misfire only. Car was sluggish, found some vacuum leaks and fixed but issue persisted. Changed both precat o2 sensors and fuel filter, car is much more responsive but still misfiring but under higher load. 5k plus with full throttle, I hear a sputtering sound and cylinder 1 misfires. No more lean codes.

Fuel injector on cylinder 1 was replaced, coil/spark plugs replaced on cylinder 1 and 2. Still same sputter and misfire. Idle is fine.

I decided to redline at neutral today, sputter sound with misfire on a completely new cylinder (2). Vcg has been replaced not long ago, vanos too.

When fuel filter was removed, black liquid was inside. It was the original filter. Maybe increases likelihood of cylinder 2 injector also being bad? Seems weird to have 2 injectors go bad

I'm at a loss. Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Mmk64; 08-15-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Mmk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #2
ralf

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2002
Model: 330i
Transmission: Auto
Check your spark plugs and verify if they are the right model and temperature also check there is not any hairline cracks on the porcelain indicating arc discharge, in doubt better replace them all with original or NGK standard spark plugs, don’t go with any other.
While you’re on that check compression in all your cylinders specially #1 and compare numbers between them.
Move your coil to another cylinder and check codes,
Move your fuel injector to another cylinder and check codes
If misfire is still on cyl 1 could mean that you have a faulty harness connection, faulty wire coil or harness but since you are experimenting the failure under high engine load I suspect of spark plugs
ralf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:45 PM   #3
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Misfires usually trigger trouble codes, so read those. If the SES light is on then also read the freezeframe data.

Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM   #4
Mmk64

Thanks for the suggestions, I will add to my list. The only code I get is misfire when the check engine light goes on.

I was thinking of temporarily unplugging the MAF and see what happens. If issue is solved by this extra rich setting without the MAF, Would that point towards fuel injector being an issue rather than coils and sparkplugs?
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM   #5
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
How do you know you still don't have a vacuum leak somewhere? Have you done a smoke test?

Current: '02 330i/5'10 Mazda5'72 240Z
Past BMWs: '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5
Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM   #6
Mmk64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
How do you know you still don't have a vacuum leak somewhere? Have you done a smoke test?
Yes, smoke test was negative. Also, no more lean codes after fixing leaks and changing O2 sensors, just misfire
Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM   #7
Mmk64

So I exchanged my MAF with a used one, no difference. Unplugged it completely, can redline without a misfire but still makes a sputtering sound and hesitates near redline
Old Today, 08:28 AM   #8
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
What brand are the new oxygen sensors? Bosch?

Unplugging the MAF forces the DME to rely upon the pre-cat sensors’ data streams to adjust the fuel/air mixture. It also forces the DME to use an overly rich fuel/air mixture. Why? Unplugging the MAF puts the DME into the “open loop” mode.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:31 AM   #9
Mmk64

Yes Bosch, brand new. Gas mileage and acceleration greatly improved immediately after