Very weird auto transmission slipping problem - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2019, 05:50 AM   #1
tivanov

My Ride: BMW E46 330d
Year: 2004
Model: E46 330D
Transmission: Auto
Very weird auto transmission slipping problem

Hi everyone,

I have a very specific transmission slipping problem that has been bothering for a while.

The place where I park my car is a little higher than the road and sometimes when I climb the "hill" the transmission starts slipping.
To be more specific, I engage drive, start climbing and the engine RPM climbs but the car stays still. After certain RPM have been reached, I feel a kick forward and the car starts moving.
This happens very rarely, all the other times the transmission is working properly. Gear changes are smooth and there is no slipping while driving.

I have recently replaced the torque converter along with all of the transmission fluid from the transmission (It was filled with fluid while removed from the car).
This appears to have made the problem worse, because the last time it started slipping there was no kick, the car wouldn't climb the hill and the cog warning light appeared.
Reverse still worked fine, so I used it to park my car somewhere safe. When I got back (5 minutes later) with a laptop and INPA, the cog of death was gone and the transmission was working properly.
The error that caused the cog of death was something about the output speed sensor, which I think is logical since the car was revving in gear but not moving. I checked the output speed sensor and it is working fine when the car is moving. I also checked the transmission temperature (~200F, same as the engine at the moment) and the turbine speed sensor, which was also fine.

Almost forgot to mention, my car is an E46 330d sedan (204hp model) with 260k kilometers.

Please help, I love my car but this problem is driving me crazy.

Best regards,
tivanov

Last edited by tivanov; 08-30-2019 at 05:51 AM.
tivanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330d, auto transmission, slipping