Wtf is this piece? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
mega_stihl

My Ride: E46 & E32
Wtf is this piece?

So since I recently removed my RTAB's, I decided to work on a friend's M3 who only just complained about his powerflex RTAB's that started to squeak like crazy.

I just took them apart, and they were completely dry, and even the inside of the RTA was rusted. No wonder they squeaked like crazy. But when I wanted to put it back together, I found this ring (see picture, on the right) on the floor, underneath the RTA. what on earth is it for?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6035.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	796775  
mega_stihl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:24 PM   #2
BaliDawg
Here to serve yíall

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Looks like the CV Joint Lock Ring.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ng-33131214961

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:32 PM   #3
mega_stihl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
thanks for the reply. Funny enough I didn't touch the CV joint, but the former mechanic who worked on the car did. Should I be concerned about this?

edit: if this is indeed a CV lock ring, I would say it's the old one, as both CV joints are new, and that this old piece might have felt down at the training arm underneath the spring or something like this, which came out now as I loosened the upper trailing arm. So this might explain some things. It looks larger than a CV lock ring, but then again, I'm used to non-M parts.

Very much thanks!

Last edited by mega_stihl; 03-29-2020 at 10:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
TobyB

My Ride: 2004xit, 2001ci
It's too large in diameter and light in gauge for the CV lock ring.

Maybe a clamp ring from the lower outside of a ball joint boot?

Looks more Datsun than BMW to me, but I haven't gotten too up- close and personal with rear suspension joints yet.

t
TobyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
donít know what that ring is for sorry.

oh and peopleís poly bushings squeaking after time.... never.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #6
mega_stihl

I guess shouldn't worry about that ring. It simply cannot be from something I unbolted, and is probably an old leftover of the previous mechanic who worked on it. Indeed it is was too large to be a ring for a CV joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
don't know what that ring is for sorry.

oh and people's poly bushings squeaking after time.... never.
zip it!

It is a fact that they were not properly installed/lubed. There was close to no lube left on the inside, causing the poly parts to turn slightly as the axle running through the poly couldn't freely turn anymore. And the inside of the RTA, so where the poly contacts the steel RTA, was rusted like a mofo. I mean come on, is it that big of a deal to clean it with a vile or steel brush before install?

Also: look at the condition of the bushing. I mean: dafuq?
Liberally lubed inside and ouside and put it back together. Moves smoothly now. Before it was as rough as if you were trying to move the original OEM rubber RTAB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6037.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	796835   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6038.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	796837  

Last edited by mega_stihl; 03-30-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:43 PM   #7
IdahoDoug

My Ride: Quattro 20V
Interesting. And to the lack of initial install lube - the whole point of those cross hatchings you see is to retain grease in that inner diameter to properly lube it.
Current fleet: 1984 Porsche 944, 1987 Toyota Supra 5M Targa (project), 1987 VW Vanagon, 1988 Mitsubishi Van Wagon, 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V 5M, 1992 Lexus LS400, 1993 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 1997 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 2018 Subaru Outback, 2002 325Xi sedan bought w/ 61K.
IdahoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #8
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega_stihl View Post
It is a fact that they were not properly installed/lubed. There was close to no lube left on the inside, causing the poly parts to turn slightly as the axle running through the poly couldn't freely turn anymore. And the inside of the RTA, so where the poly contacts the steel RTA, was rusted like a mofo. I mean come on, is it that big of a deal to clean it with a vile or steel brush before install?
i didnít do the install on this so canít say it was done correctly or incorrectly. but itís obvious it did have lube and as you said, ďclose to no lube leftĒ. which is why poly bushings need maintaining, none state they wonít. this isnít a bmw thing itís poly used on all cars for decades that need this. these arenít sealed.
exposed metal and moisture will cause rust. once lube is shed itíll rust.

But you look like your got it handled for now. you want a lube that clings. I used copper based lube last time and have been happy.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Old 03-30-2020, 02:26 PM   #9
mega_stihl

Quote:
i didn't do the install on this so can't say it was done correctly or incorrectly. but it's obvious it did have lube and as you said, "close to no lube left". which is why poly bushings need maintaining, none state they won't. this isn't a bmw thing it's poly used on all cars for decades that need this. these aren't sealed.
exposed metal and moisture will cause rust. once lube is shed it'll rust.

But you look like your got it handled for now. you want a lube that clings. I used copper based lube last time and have been happy.
I have read a lot debate on lithium grease vs copper based grease. So I took it to the test. One side with copper grease, the other with lithium. Lets see which one will last the longest

I must say I had 2 years and 20k miles with powerflex FCAB, no squeaks when lubed properly (with the exception of one that went bad, and therefore also didn't seat properly and took some water where the grease is supposed to sit, but that's a different story). But then again, 2 years is nothing ...

Last edited by mega_stihl; 03-30-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:48 PM   #10
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega_stihl View Post
I have read a lot debate on lithium grease vs copper based grease. So I took it to the test. One side with copper grease, the other with lithium. Lets see which one will last the longest

I must say I had 2 years and 20k miles with powerflex FCAB, no squeaks when lubed properly.
that will be an interesting test. which ever one stays applied the longest i suppose.
think PowerFlex gives a little packet of lube when you buy. this may or may-not be enough?? perhaps that's why your friends M3 had lost a lot of it. i had been told by others to use a lot and so i did.
even with companies coming out with different grooves and areas for it to pack in they still eventually lose the lubrication over time.

nice of you to fix this for your friend, i'm sure he'll be excited for no squeaks.
and if that "lock ring" you found goes to something other than being the old one, hope you find it.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 03-30-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:13 PM   #11
mega_stihl

Quote:
that will be an interesting test. which ever one stays applied the longest i suppose.
think PowerFlex gives a little packet of lube when you buy. this may or may-not be enough?? perhaps that's why your friends M3 had lost a lot of it. i had been told by others to use a lot and so i did.
even with companies coming out with different grooves and areas for it to pack in they still eventually lose the lubrication over time.

nice of you to fix this for your friend, i'm sure he'll be excited for no squeaks.
and if that "lock ring" you found goes to something other than being the old one, hope you find it.
The M3 has a whole list of chores, so I won't even be done after lubing the powerflex On the upside: I have an M3 at my disposal for the week

The lube that comes with powerflex is pretty good as it's the one I used on my FCAB's with no issues. The problem is right now I only have powerflex sachets at my disposal (and lithium lube and a whole lot of other lubricants), and it seems to me (could be wrong) that the grease that came with strongflex is different and less sticky than the one that came with powerflex. Imo: if you have it at your disposal, the grease that comes with powerflex is still your best choice. It sticks really good.

Last edited by mega_stihl; 03-30-2020 at 11:16 PM.