DAILY E46 MOD/REPAIR UPDATES - What have you done? - Page 2175 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2005 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2020, 06:44 AM   #43481
doukas007

My Ride: e46 320 coupe
Year: 2001
Model: 320ci
Transmission: manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
New paint!

Edit: image pixelated a bit upon resize. Looks like a brand new car! I saved the aesthetics for last, car completely rebuilt over past 5 years. Everything is done. Maintenance mode

Edit2: high-res pics: https://imgur.com/a/tUvBBOR
That's fire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
doukas007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #43482
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vas View Post
Thanks.

I also cleaned up the top side of the engine in preparation of installing new parts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Please tell me you are replacing the starter!

Also replace crankshaft sensor o-ring
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:49 PM   #43483
BullCityBimmer

My Ride: 1998 323i
DAILY E46 MOD/REPAIR UPDATES - What have you done?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3513.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	796737

Wasn’t thrilled about the length of the new cable, seemed way to long. Had to get creative upon installation to make sure it wasn’t getting too close to the headers. Still, it appears too close

Name:	IMG_3514.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	796739

BULLLL

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by BullCityBimmer; 03-28-2020 at 06:51 PM.
BullCityBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:08 PM   #43484
Vas

My Ride: zhp
Same part number ?

Vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:00 PM   #43485
BullCityBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vas View Post
Same part number ?

Think so, i looked for weeks before deciding to try it. Not sure if I was able to find it on realoem but this is the # Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3517.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	796743

Old 03-28-2020, 08:24 PM   #43486
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCityBimmer View Post
Think so, i looked for weeks before deciding to try it. Not sure if I was able to find it on realoem but this is the # Attachment 796743

That number can be found with the starter cables under engine elctrical on realoem. Doesn't show much of an installation location, though. Same with it's solo listing under vehicle electrical system.

If you search just the part number it shows as being installed on, like, 50% of the vehicles BMW has made since the e30. I'd guess they may have simplified the catalog with something from a later model that technically will fit, but isn't the exact original part.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:01 PM   #43487
Matt 330LS

My Ride: 330Ci
Year: 2001
Transmission: T56
Ran fuel return line from regulator to cell, tidied up the wiring a bit. More odds and ends tomorrow. Hopefully within a couple weeks this sucker will fire up...
Matt 330LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:03 AM   #43488
Silence*

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Tackled my OFHG today. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (last time I did one the motor was out of the car), but cleaning the oil out of the waffles was annoying as hell! Old gasket was rock hard and shattered when I took it out & I used a whole can of brake cleaner degreasing it all. After went to the car wash and gave her a nice bath, all in it took about 3.5 hours to do.

Next up... Steering rack!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Silence* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:40 AM   #43489
Vas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
Please tell me you are replacing the starter!

Also replace crankshaft sensor o-ring
Starter was replaced by the previous owner so I'm leaving it. But I did replace the CPS and the coolant temp sensor.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #43490
L8Braker35

DAILY E46 MOD/REPAIR UPDATES - What have you done?

[QUOTE=BullCityBimmer;18747547]Attachment 796737

Wasn’t thrilled about the length of the new cable, seemed way to long. Had to get creative upon installation to make sure it wasn’t getting too close to the headers. Still, it appears too close

Attachment 796739

You just have to get creative with the additional length. Spinning or bending the ends a little should get you all the room you need. As is, it looks too close.

Last edited by L8Braker35; 03-29-2020 at 01:00 PM.
L8Braker35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #43491
Vas

Hard coolant pipes installed, new CPS and coolant temp sensor with new rubber coolant hoses.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:11 PM   #43492
Khanon701

My Ride: 04 325ci
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Not much I can post for a pic, but I found working drivers for my k-line cable, got a WinXP x86 virtual machine set up, and started trying to get the hang of NCS Expert. Took a couple tries but I got it. Not much but at least it's something. So no more annoying beeps when locking and unlocking, and no more running out in the rain to close the windows! Getting this working opens up a lot of possibilities!

Name:	Screenshot 2020-03-29 20.54.07.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	796797

I might be considering getting an aftermarket exhaust... I feel like I shouldn't. I feel like I should just be happy with it the way it is.. but even flat out I can barely hear it. My state has no emissions testing and no state laws about muffler noise. I can hear loud ass Harleys and trucks all day long from across town, not to mention the drag strip a couple miles away.... Drove a straight piped GMC Sierra 1500 a while ago and liked the volume way more than I expected to and man, this thing is just so quiet it's boring.

“Care and Quality are internal and external aspects of the same thing.
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who’s bound to have some characteristic of quality.”
-Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Last edited by Khanon701; 03-29-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Khanon701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:34 PM   #43493
orb
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 340i | 325Ci
^Highly recommend the ZHP rear muffler. Near perfect exhaust note and volume for the M54.
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:07 PM   #43494
DMartBossman

My Ride: 2003 E46 330i
Another Part of my ACS Collection

DMartBossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:02 AM   #43495
Khanon701

My Ride: 04 325ci
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
^Highly recommend the ZHP rear muffler. Near perfect exhaust note and volume for the M54.
I spent like 4 hours yesterday writing out a giant long post getting all philosophical about how people's opinions on things like "what is too loud" can vary a lot based of circumstances and personal experiences. Then deleted it because I felt like it just came off as desperate and pleading lol. I've been into cars since I was a teenager and never let myself do anything even remotely fun with them. I drove a WRX for years until it got t-boned and managed to leave it stock. I kinda just want to be obnoxious for once in my life. If I try to be conservative and practical I'll just end up never doing it because I don't have the car completely restored to factory condition yet.

I don't have a welder, so what I'd like to do is find a shop or a hook up that wouldn't just laugh at me, cut the exhaust behind the cat and build something new there. I've been watching a lot of sound clips, and I'm really digging the sound of Borla's mufflers on these cars, but I've heard people say they're a lot quieter than expected, so I might look at Magnaflow or Flowmaster where there's a little more variety. I checked out some clips of ZHP exhausts and for me, in my own personal, probably invalid opinion, I didn't think they sounded that good. In the future I also really want to do headers, whether ebay or actually good. I'm thinking it'd be best to leave the rest alone. I guess if I were to give an objective measurement of what kind of volume I want, think around 90-95 dB, no louder than an angle grinder (~110dB), at about 3-5k rpm under load. I can run grinders and machine tools and be loud in my shop all day and not bother anyone. A little worried about asking a shop and being told to pony up a thousand dollars for installation or something absurd like that.

I'd show my work on the math I've done, but I've noticed I already have a tendency to ramble and overthink so I'll spare those gritty details.

“Care and Quality are internal and external aspects of the same thing.
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who’s bound to have some characteristic of quality.”
-Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Last edited by Khanon701; 03-30-2020 at 12:13 AM.
Khanon701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:34 AM   #43496
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanon701 View Post
I spent like 4 hours yesterday writing out a giant long post getting all philosophical about how people's opinions on things like "what is too loud" can vary a lot based of circumstances and personal experiences. Then deleted it because I felt like it just came off as desperate and pleading lol. I've been into cars since I was a teenager and never let myself do anything even remotely fun with them. I drove a WRX for years until it got t-boned and managed to leave it stock. I kinda just want to be obnoxious for once in my life. If I try to be conservative and practical I'll just end up never doing it because I don't have the car completely restored to factory condition yet.

I don't have a welder, so what I'd like to do is find a shop or a hook up that wouldn't just laugh at me, cut the exhaust behind the cat and build something new there. I've been watching a lot of sound clips, and I'm really digging the sound of Borla's mufflers on these cars, but I've heard people say they're a lot quieter than expected, so I might look at Magnaflow or Flowmaster where there's a little more variety. I checked out some clips of ZHP exhausts and for me, in my own personal, probably invalid opinion, I didn't think they sounded that good. In the future I also really want to do headers, whether ebay or actually good. I'm thinking it'd be best to leave the rest alone. I guess if I were to give an objective measurement of what kind of volume I want, think around 90-95 dB, no louder than an angle grinder (~110dB), at about 3-5k rpm under load. I can run grinders and machine tools and be loud in my shop all day and not bother anyone. A little worried about asking a shop and being told to pony up a thousand dollars for installation or something absurd like that.

I'd show my work on the math I've done, but I've noticed I already have a tendency to ramble and overthink so I'll spare those gritty details.
It all depends which Borla you get. The Touring series are the quieter ones, while the Attack seties are their louder ones. Flowmaster does have a lot of options, but they get pricey in SS, and it may be hard to get pick the right one for good sound on a BMW. Magnaflow mufflers probably give the best bang for the buck vs sound and quality overall. The sound level is mostly dictated by the size of the muffler, and the number of them used.

The factory exhaust system uses 3 mufflers/silencers. You can get a lot of sound by simply removing one of those. Usually people usually remove the rear one, as it's the easiest. I looked into this, but found the sound to be too raspy for my rastes, and have read that it creates a lot of interior drone, which I don't want. OTH, this is the cheapest, simplest solution to making the car louder, and then you can go from there. It's something most muffler shops should be able to handle easily, and if you keep the stock muffler, can also be fairly easily reversed.

Having a shop build a complete system is probably going to be more costly than buying a premade system. The exhaust routing on these cars is not simple and would take a considerable amount of time. The other advantage to buying a good quality premade exhaust is getting the benefit of the engineering that went into it. That gives a good fit and, with most systems, low drone on the highway. That's the biggest factor to me. I've had loud exhausts that sounded great when I was younger, but these days I appreciate the quiet interior of my higher end car.

Oh, and the only opinion that matters on your car is yours. Otherwise you won't be happy with it. I've done plenty of things to my cars that others have not cared for. I didn't do it for them, though, I did it for me and it's my car. Your car is your's, do what you want!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by yjsaabman; 03-30-2020 at 06:38 AM.
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:54 PM   #43497
jarjar

My Ride: 04 BMW 330CI
Installed the centre trim. You'll notice the one I installed is called titan but it's a lot darker than stock. To me it works well. The old trim on the left was cracked and would move when I shifted the gear lever. For $20 it is well worth it regardless of colour. ***x1f642;
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A589C518-9FBB-4F2D-8ECE-344FB7A3BD22_1585630334422.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	796875  
jarjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:39 AM   #43498
BullCityBimmer

New butt plugs for the trunk

Name:	IMG_3515.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	796897

Name:	IMG_3528.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	796899

And fender support (old one was broke)

Name:	IMG_3529.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	796901

Guess I should replace my trunk vents too. I always find a bug or two makes it’s way into the trunk area and I suppose the missing flaps are to blame.

BULL

Old 03-31-2020, 10:57 AM   #43499
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCityBimmer View Post
Guess I should replace my trunk vents too. I always find a bug or two makes it’s way into the trunk area and I suppose the missing flaps are to blame.

BULL

Those were surprisingly expensive new IIRC, but they wee used on a lot of different models up until very recently so I was able to find some pretty minty ones on eBay for cheap.
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:09 PM   #43500
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
New paint!
Looks awesome!

What did that run you, if you don't mind my asking?

|
|
|
|
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote