328i Locking System Causes Students Death - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.72 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
328i Locking System Causes Students Death

Assume this is 328i E46, article was not clear on the year of the car.

Sad but fully understandable situation for those of use that know how the central locking function works in the E46 and likely the E39.

Since this was likely an 328 E46 I do not think even pushing the central locking button on the console would allow the inside door handles to function. It appears the central locking button only works on later models, still unclear when this change was made, but I have commented that both my 2003 E39 and 2006 E46 Convertible have the central locking button that will allow the inside door handles to released with 2 pulls after the central locking button is pushed.

http://www.kmph.com/story/23421319/p...ld-girls-death

Expect a lawsuit and possible other fallout because of this tragic situation.

Just found this, claims is was a 1997 model? Likely a 1998?

http://news.yahoo.com/girl-14-dies-m...opstories.html

Fuel pump failures -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Temp Info -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 09-13-2013 at 07:47 PM.
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Tragic.
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
lszlszx

My Ride: Z3, V50, 1.8T
That is an awful tragedy, I have a 14 year old daughter myself.

When the locks do that, the engine won't turn on either?

"Would the codes indicate if it's the carburator?"
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
ross1998

My Ride: 2006 G35 Coupe

Wow, very sad. Even more sad after finding out she was only 80 pounds and couldn't break windows.

Is it possible fir BMW to still do a recall on this and reprogram the computer to not do that?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
ross1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
ross1998

My Ride: 2006 G35 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lszlszx View Post

In the first link it says the brother took the keys and went to class but her class started later so she was gonna wait in the car for till class but her brother locked the doors from the outside.

ross1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
My 2003 opens from the inside with two pulls from the 4 door handles.

The 2 happiest days of a BMW owner's life is the day they buy it and the day they sell it.
BMW (Broke My Wallet)

2003silver330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
jfoj
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lszlszx View Post

I assume the brother got out of the car and locked the car?

If the key was in the car, you can turn the ignition on and this will release the dead lock as I recall? You can also just use the keyfob as well assuming the GM5 module did not have bad relays.

Hopefully she did not panic and have the keys or not realize that the door handle had to be pulled twice if the car was not dead locked.

Also too back she did not realize she may have been able to use the seat belt bladed to try and break the window, but she was only 14 and maybe did not thing to try that?

Such a sad situation all around for the family and the brother.

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Last edited by jfoj; 09-13-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
djmogovan

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Dang. Poor family.

Kinda awkward how they quoted people from bimmerforums.. I don't know if i'd want my posts related to a child's death?

Then again, couldn't she just have grabbed the metal piece to the seat belt and start jamming to the drivers window? If only the poor girl had a metal watch on. Still, only 80 lbs idk if she'd be able to bust it.
djmogovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
jfoj
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003silver330i View Post
My 2003 opens from the inside with two pulls from the 4 door handles.
Not if the car is dead locked with the keyfob.

Open the car, get it the car, use the keyfob to lock the car while you are in the car and then try the double pull, you will not likely be able to open the door until you try the central console lock button and even this may not release the dead lock on your car. Not sure what years the central console lock button releases the dead lock.

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Old 09-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
Fullraph

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Very sad story... The car in question is an E36 but still I wonder how sutch a thing is possible because even though the lock is electronic, the handle still use a mechanical system... In my 2000 323i, if I lock someone in the car, we can still unlock the door and get out by pulling the door handle twice, even in my jetta were the locks are 100% electronics, the same procedure apply, it is even combined with the alarm sounding until you put the key in the ignition.

Last edited by Fullraph; 09-13-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Fullraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
jfoj
OEM ///Member

Scottjoh may be the expert witness in this case?

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Old 09-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
2003silver330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Not if the car is dead locked with the keyfob.

Open the car, get it the car, use the keyfob to lock the car while you are in the car and then try the double pull, you will not likely be able to open the door until you try the central console lock button and even this may not release the dead lock on your car. Not sure what years the central console lock button releases the dead lock.
Correct...so press center button one time and double pull handles.

The 2 happiest days of a BMW owner's life is the day they buy it and the day they sell it.
BMW (Broke My Wallet)

Old 09-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i, '11 Z435i
Re: 328i Locking System Causes Students Death

This is why the owner's manual tells you to never use the remote to lock the car when someone is inside... I really wish people would take the time to read those when they buy a new car.

Tangent_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
jfoj
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Correct...so press center button one time and double pull handles.
Not all models support the central locking button releasing the dead locking system.

2003 and newer may do it, it may be the locking module, there may be a programming tweak??

I just know that both of my cars can have the dead lock overridden with the console lock button, but they are 2003 and newer.

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Old 09-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
jfoj
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
This is why the owner's manual tells you to never use the remote to lock the car when someone is inside... I really wish people would take the time to read those when they buy a new car.
You could hide a $20 bill in every owners manual and I would bet that over 95% of the owners manuals would still have the $20 bill in it 15 years later!

That also assumes your used car even has the manual in it when you purchased it!

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Last edited by jfoj; 09-13-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #16
2003silver330i

My question is lets say for example the GM5 module is damaged will that center console button still work? If not, than I'm surprised more people haven't been trapped or died due to this ridiculously stupid locking system.

BMW (Broke My Wallet)

Old 09-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #17
David McMahon

My Ride: '99 E38 740iL
Checking this tomorrow, my centre lock works but I've seen that the push clips can fail, and if it was an E36 they are even older of course.
David McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #18
jfoj
OEM ///Member

Quote:
My question is lets say for example the GM5 module is damaged will that center console button still work? If not, than I'm surprised more people haven't been trapped or died due to this ridiculously stupid locking system.
If the GM5 module is faulty you can in fact get locked in the car, but usually most people cannot get into the car in the first place if the GM5 module/relays go bad.

I had a friend that has a 2001 Touring that the GM5 relays went bad on. Her car had the auto locking feature enabled since new and she is the original owner. When GM5 relays went bad, the problem was she usually parks her car in the garage in her house so she never locks the car while parked at the house.

She gets in the car and before she hits the street the doors lock. Then she gets to her destination and she cannot get out of the car because the GM5 relays are bad. She would either have to roll down the window and crawl out Dukes Of Hazzard style, or I think she could use the key in the door to manually unlock the drivers door, but everyone would have to crawl out windows of crawl to the drivers door.

I replaced the relays in the GM5 module for her within the first week that this started and no more issues.

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Last edited by jfoj; 09-13-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #19
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
The story is very unclear, but it is a design, not a flaw, that if the doors are locked with the key, or the key fob, they will not open. It is clearly stated in the Owner's Manual of my E36 that one should not lock the doors while the car is occupied because the people inside will not be able to get out.

The brother locked his sister inside the car.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #20
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Lawsuit on the way for sure, damm i feel sorry for the family and her brother must feel terrible...

A recall would be great, as we all here need GM5 touch up
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote