F30 M Sport Brembo Big Brake Install - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #21
clabcon

My Ride: e46 330 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lior-M3 View Post
i admit that i didnt consider the pad area to much, but i take some pic and you can see it's cover all the way

How does your brake pedal feel with this new setup compared to stock? Did you change the Master Cylinder too?
clabcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:55 AM   #22
gasp0

My Ride: E36
hello, please did you do this swap with standart e46 kingpins or you have used e46 m3 ones? also is it possible to fit 17 inch wheel? thanks

Last edited by gasp0; 01-16-2016 at 05:06 AM.
gasp0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #23
lior-M3

My Ride: E46 M3
clabcon - the feel is a bit more sponge, yeh, i try to solve it, i believe braided steel hose will improve it.
i didn't change the Master Cylinder, i think it's not change the feeling, it's just make the brake respond quickly.
and for the total score to this setup... A+ it's just so violence! it's stop great, in some test my eyes just poke from there place...hahaha

gasp0 - yes standart kingpins, it's not relevant to this swap, 17 inch good only for the rear, the front is min' 18"
lior-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #24
clabcon

My Ride: e46 330 Ci
Quote:
clabcon - the feel is a bit more sponge, yeh, i try to solve it, i believe braided steel hose will improve it.
i didn't change the Master Cylinder, i think it's not change the feeling, it's just make the brake respond quickly.
and for the total score to this setup... A+ it's just so violence! it's stop great, in some test my eyes just poke from there place...hahaha

gasp0 - yes standart kingpins, it's not relevant to this swap, 17 inch good only for the rear, the front is min' 18"
How did you solve the handbrake issue in the rear?
clabcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #25
gasp0

My Ride: E36
Have you tried? F30 can fit R17 oem wheels on that thanks much

Last edited by gasp0; 01-18-2016 at 04:21 PM.
gasp0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #26
lior-M3

My Ride: E46 M3
did not solve the handbrake yet... my E46 is nod daily, so not to hurry. but it's not big deal, people swap to 330i or M3 brake with no to much truble.

gasp0 - yes i try,
lior-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #27
dcmsnd

My Ride: 325
Can you post pics of broke-in brake disc ? I want to see how it looks without anti-corrosion paint. Thanks!
dcmsnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:29 PM   #28
Oz Striker

My Ride: '00 330Ci, '07 350Z
Quote:

I dont really see the benefit of using the Merc disc over the M3 CSL disc. You can see in your pic, the pad overlies the rotor bell, looks like about 10mm, you ought to shave/grind that area of the pad down. The M3 CSL disc is a better option, a little bit pad alteration would still be required but you save yourself the bother of re drilling the PCD.

My YouTube Channel incl Muffler delete vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog on E46 DIYs & Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Oz Striker; 03-21-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Oz Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #29
Oz Striker

Finally got all the bits i needed to fit the M3 discs:

15mm hubcentric spacer (required to clear MV1 rims)

Before and after pics, of alteration to pad to prevent pad overhang:

Disc sits perfectly within caliper and stock F30 brake lines fit the E46:

Should have gone for silver lug nuts:

With 15mm spacer:

Without 15mm spacer:

Last edited by Oz Striker; 03-21-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #30
Oz Striker

Went out on a test drive, and the brakes feel fine, perhaps the initial pedal bite is a littel softer than stock, and also requires more force than stock to engage the ABS on a couple of hard stops I did. Hopefully soon work on the rears will begin.

A few more pics, sensor wire fits in place also. Bleeding takes a little longer as each nipple needs bled twice to get all the bubble out..... knocking the caliper with rubber mallet seemed to help dislodge the final small bubbles.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:45 AM   #31
LROY325

My Ride: 325i Sport touring
Two Piece Rotors

I really enjoyed reading this and am definitely up for trying it myself - in searching disc specs came across various two piece setups where the centre hat is interchangeable - is this something you've already looked into? I'm wondering if a set of F30 discs with the centre hat swapped for a e46 330/325 centre? Haven't found them exactly but will keep looking and post what I find - incidentally buying the kit new as a job lot would result in the even larger disc size of 370mm on the front according to dealers.
LROY325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:57 AM   #32
Oz Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LROY325 View Post
I really enjoyed reading this and am definitely up for trying it myself - in searching disc specs came across various two piece setups where the centre hat is interchangeable - is this something you've already looked into? I'm wondering if a set of F30 discs with the centre hat swapped for a e46 330/325 centre? Haven't found them exactly but will keep looking and post what I find - incidentally buying the kit new as a job lot would result in the even larger disc size of 370mm on the front according to dealers.
A two piece set up would solve all disc issues, as you choose the bell/hat height and then the disc thickness and size, I did look into this but a pair would come to approx 550 if I remember correctly..... Admittedly the central hat/bell would be reused when you needed new discs.

The 340mm
F30 discs I have are 1 piece so no modification of the hat height is possible.

And in answer to another PM I received, I used the OEM F30 Brembo hoses
Old 09-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #33
Oz Striker

UPDATE:

I finally got round to attempting the install of the rears a month ago. I bought a set of cheap M3 rear discs as i had read elsewhere that this what was needed, as the caliper would hit the section of the inner hat or handbrake rim as i call it (its deeper and sticks out slightly for some reason on the 330). Well that's a load of BS. The reason why the caliper doesn't fit, is it hits the brake shield. Trust me. It is brake shield thats stopping the caliper from lining up with the bolt holes on the spindle.

The M3 rear discs will not fit as they have too deep a hat/offset. So trim the brake shield. With that done the 330 rear discs line up perfectly with the caliper pads. the pads perfectly sweep the discs with no overhang.

The next problem is the rear spindle is for M10 bolts, and the F30 caliper takes M12 bolts i.e. 10mm vs 12mm. I had totally overlooked this. But i was now all ready to install these, once i realised the the 330 discs could be kept and there would be no handbrake worries....... You can see where this is going...... yep i drilled out the spindles from 10 to 12 mm. steady hand keep it straight, and widen up in 0.5mm increments (10.5 --> 11 --> 11.5 ---> 12) and you'll be fine.

Next to help line up the disc centrally within the caliper, you will need to add 1.5mm washers between the spindle hole and the caliper holes. This obviously pushes the caliper out by 1.5mm, and this results in it just, starting to interfere with the brake disc. So a little bit of the metal around the caliper holes that face the disc (not spindle) needs shaved down slightly. i would recommend a grinding wheel for this, with a dremel tool you'll be at it forever. Now you could use a wider washer, but then you're gonna have to shave down more of the caliper metal and start to actually get into the thread of the calliper bolt holes. With 1.5mm spacer, you're not shaving enough metal to get into the thread if that makes sense.

Lastly, in terms of modifications at least, the disc will still appear to sit approx 3-4mm more outboard (to the outside if the calliper) than it should. to solve this i just took two 1.5mm steel sheets and made templates, that look just like brake backing plates and put them between the inside/inboard pistons. Thus the pistons will come out evenly from both sides.

5mm spacers are required to clear the rear MV1s. And you will need longer brake hoses for the rear. Aftermarket braided E46 M3 Brembo Porsche hoses from HEL did the job. for the fronts i got the f30 hoses with the calipers.

That all might seem like a lot. But i got it all done in a day and a half, mainly cause i was determined, my balls were on the line and I had all the tools needed, HSS drill bits, grinder, 5mm spacers kicking about from when i was experimenting with the fronts. I then had to wait a few days for the new braided hoses to arrive. I'll get pictures up when I've figured out where to host them (any suggestions??), but tbh i didn't take too many, as i was busy figuring stuff out on the fly and making adjustments.

Last edited by Oz Striker; 06-24-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #34
Oz Striker

I found some pics from the when installed the rear calipers.

To drill out the spindles from 10 to 12 mm, you'll need HSS drill bits. steady hand keep it straight, and widen up in 0.5mm increments: 10.5 --> 11 --> 11.5 ---> 12. Apply some sort of oil to the drill bit.

Because the disc will still appear to sit approx 3-4mm more outboard (to the outside) than it should. to solve this i just took two 1.5mm steel sheets and made templates, that look just like brake backing plates and put them between the inside/inboard pistons. Thus the pistons will come out evenly from both sides.

Last edited by Oz Striker; 06-24-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:05 AM   #35
Jakg

Apologies if I've missed this, but could you post exactly what you did to get the fronts to fit? It looks like they just bolted up with M3 discs and you added some spacers to clear the wheel - is this correct? Thanks!
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #36
JCC330

This really looks like it could be a great upgrade for the price. If the front calipers bolt right up to the stock locations and only new CSL rotors are required, I think I will be giving this a shot on my 330ci for a budget BBK up front!
JCC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #37
gtride

My Ride: 330 Touring
So you end up using regular M3? How did they clear the shield? Are they 61.2mm hat height? Did you have to get a spacer for the pad to center the rotor against the pads?

Sent from my SM-G965U using E46Fanatics mobile app
gtride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:34 PM   #38
Oz Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Apologies if I've missed this, but could you post exactly what you did to get the fronts to fit? It looks like they just bolted up with M3 discs and you added some spacers to clear the wheel - is this correct? Thanks!
All that's needed for the fronts are M3 discs, 15mm spacers (or wheels with correct offset) and you need to shave the outer edge of the pad down slightly, so there's minimal pad overhang:

If you choose to use M3 CSL discs then, instead of the outer edge, you'll need to shave an equal amount from the pad on the inner side (closest to hub on both pads)

You could also use 330 front discs, but they aren't as thick as M3 discs 28 vs 25mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtride View Post
So you end up using regular M3? How did they clear the shield? Are they 61.2mm hat height? Did you have to get a spacer for the pad to center the rotor against the pads?

Sent from my SM-G965U using E46Fanatics mobile app

I presume you're referring to the rears? In which case:

Not M3 rear discs. standard 330. M3 rears will not fit the 330, hat height is off.

Yes there is a spacer between the caliper and the spindle, 1 for each spindle hole. So thats 2 spacers on each side. Additionally i made those aluminium backing plates to place behind the pads, just to help the pads sit pretty much evenly

Old 11-04-2018, 05:39 PM   #39
CarbonZHP
Because Race...Convertible?

My Ride: goes choo choo
Year: 2004
Model: 330Cic ZHP
Transmission: AT->5MT->6MT
I was just given a set of standard F30 brakes. Think theyll work?

Original Car: Silver Grey on Grey, A/T (1 of 186)
As it sits: Silver Grey on Black, M/T (1 of 51)
Instagram: @CarbonZHP
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #40
Oz Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonZHP View Post
I was just given a set of standard F30 brakes. Think theyll work?
yep no issue. And with your wheels you might get away without any spacers, esp on the rear. If your fronts are ET 30 you prob wont need spacers, if they are 35, then its 50/50, depends on the design of the inner spokes.

Tags
bbk, big brake, brembo, f30, m sport