Wahler Thermostat Teardown and Improvement Mod - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #1
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
Wahler Thermostat Teardown and Improvement Mod

The Wahler brand thermostat is a very popular replacement part for those of us who experience lower operating temperatures or leaks. Unfortunately, the Wahler thermostat has a weakness of its own. I have had two Wahler thermostats leak from the same area. That is the heating element interface with the thermostat. If it weren't for this design weakness, the Wahler would be perfect.

Here I will show you how to fix this issue with your Wahler thermostat using RTV.

The Wahler heating element is relatively easy to remove from the thermostat housing. It is held in with a relatively simple mechanism.

Simply lift this tab (I used an O-ring pick) and rotate the connector counter-clockwise.

Now you need to pry the heating element out of the thermostat housing. It's held in by friction at this point. I used a small flathead to leverage the connector body up and away from the housing.

This is the element removed. As you can see, the element is sealed using two O-rings. These O-rings are either incorrectly sized, a poor material, or installed poorly. I think it is a combination of the three. I will explain later.

This is the housing with the heating element removed.

This is an image of the smaller of the two O-rings. This is the primary seal. It's the first barrier for coolant from the inside of the housing. Notice how deformed it is? I believe it was installed with no assembly lubricant and rolled up unevenly on the element shaft. It was never able to do its job properly. I also believe this is a rather cheap material and probably doesn't have great heat aging properties. The primary reason for the poor sealing is the poor install, in my opinion.

So what can we do about this? The solution I have implemented is simply Red RTV.

Unfortunately, you can't just apply RTV all over the place and slide the element back into the housing. You will end up with RTV inside the thermostat itself and I don't know how that will affect the function. See below for what would end up in the thermostat.

You must first take off the thermostat. This was a simple task with some narrow jaw vise-grips. Needle nose pliers would probably also work. Just grip these tabs and push down and in. They'll pop out. It requires a decent bit of force. Do that for both sides.

Now you have this.

Now you can insert your element and clean it up. Twist and lock it into place as it was when you bought the termostat.

Now reinstall the thermostat. You have to push down both leg clips at the same time. I used two allen keys to press evenly on both legs until they clicked into place. If you bent them on removal, you will need to bend them back now so they'll clip into place.

Now you should have a permanently sealed thermostat. Wait at least 24 hours before installing this in your car (RTV cure time).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
alan53

My Ride: bmw E46 330ci
Year: 2004
Model: 3 series
Transmission: 6 speed
Send a message via Yahoo to alan53
Nice writeup and photos,i will remember to do this when my recently installed Wahler starts leaking.
alan53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
Loaded325i

My Ride: bmw 325i
I just installed a mahle with no issues. My OEM wahler was 12 years old and just started to leak around the outer housing seal
2004 BMW 325i CW,PP and Sports Package
1996 toyota avalon-263,000-Sold
2003 Lexus Is300-Sold
2000 Acura TL-Sold
2000 Accord 5 speed-Sold
Loaded325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2016, 09:16 PM   #4
Zardoz33

My Ride: 2001 325xi
My Wahler started leaking from that area and also what looks like around one of the mounting bolts, so I bought a Mahle/Behr tstat (going to put either Permatex Red rtv or The Right Stuff around the edges).
Zardoz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:21 PM   #5
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Awesome writeup! Thanks for this. I have a Wahler t-stat in the box waiting to be installed (got a random P0128 code a couple of months ago). Will do this pre-install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current:
•
•

Past BMWs:
•
•

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #6
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
My only failure was the element failure, but if it starts leaking I'll just get a warranty replacement from FCP.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:40 PM   #7
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Friggin' genius! Now I know what to do with the box of leaking Wahler t-stats in my garage. I think I have three or four in there.

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:27 AM   #8
Pro325ie46

My Ride: 2004 BMW E46 325xi
Im done with Wahlers. Ive never had one leak at all but worse theyd make my car run too cool. Hopefully Behr thermostats are more thorough.
Pro325ie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:57 AM   #9
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: B30_TS3
Year: 2001
Transmission: DCT GS7D36SG
Very nice write-up, I will definitely have it in mind as I have the exact same thermostat. Ironically, the original BMW one was leaking from the very same spot, but the plug/heating element not removable as the wahler one.

||

paraklas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:02 AM   #10
ChuckyVee

My Ride: 2000 323i, '99 328is
Nice write up....I'll be keeping and eye on my Whaler tstat!

First Bimmer..."Miss December"...2000 323i, purchased Dec. 2013 w/82K on the clock. PM thus far...pads/rotors, belts/pulleys, complete CS overhaul, FCABs, plugs, autotranny/differential service, fuel pump, filter, and relay. Full front end refresh with LCAs and bushings, struts and mounts, inner/outer tie rods, sway bar endlinks and bushings.
ChuckyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #11
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
An alternative is to buy a high quality o-ring.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #12
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46,e90,e92,e83
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
An alternative is to buy a high quality o-ring.
Yep - Or buy the OE Vemo - haven't seen them leak and you can get them in 85C, 88C or if you prefer exploding plastic parts 97C and even 105C

http://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/cooli...er-reihe/3-e46

BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:08 PM   #13
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
My Wahler has always been good to me.

I'd just buy one at the dealer

|
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #14
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan53 View Post
Nice writeup and photos,i will remember to do this when my recently installed Wahler starts leaking.
If a thermostat needs to come off the motor just toss it and buy a new one.

Average lifespan is only about two years or 50k miles. Genuine BMW is the only way to go here.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:39 AM   #15
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
If a thermostat needs to come off the motor just toss it and buy a new one.

Average lifespan is only about two years or 50k miles. Genuine BMW is the only way to go here.
Agreed. I would probably only do this to a new thermostat before install. Not worth the effort otherwise.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:47 AM   #16
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
I am surprised the thermostat last long enough without going soft, triggering the P0128 or the other thermostat related codes before they actually leak.

Maybe for you guys in the warmer areas the stat may appear to last longer.

What I have found, over 70F will mask soft thermostats.

I just had to drive my daughters VW back 1100 miles with no cooling fans working. Not a problem, ambient temps never were above 60F and the only concern I has was for traffic back ups. When I came of slow traffic a few times, on when the HVAC fan full blast and the engine never got about 210F.

I had my UltraGauge on the car the entire trip with programmed temp alarms so I was not worried.

1100 straight thru stopping only for food, fuel and bathroom breaks. 70 MPH average speed for the entire 1100 miles.

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #17
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
This is an image of the smaller of the two O-rings. This is the primary seal. It's the first barrier for coolant from the inside of the housing. Notice how deformed it is? I believe it was installed with no assembly lubricant and rolled up unevenly on the element shaft. It was never able to do its job properly. I also believe this is a rather cheap material and probably doesn't have great heat aging properties. The primary reason for the poor sealing is the poor install, in my opinion.
I can appreciate your creativity here, but why not just replace the o-rings? A more durable o-ring installed correctly would be a cheap and simple safeguard.

|
|
|
|
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #18
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
I am surprised the thermostat last long enough without going soft, triggering the P0128 or the other thermostat related codes before they actually leak.

Maybe for you guys in the warmer areas the stat may appear to last longer.

What I have found, over 70F will mask soft thermostats.

I just had to drive my daughters VW back 1100 miles with no cooling fans working. Not a problem, ambient temps never were above 60F and the only concern I has was for traffic back ups. When I came of slow traffic a few times, on when the HVAC fan full blast and the engine never got about 210F.

I had my UltraGauge on the car the entire trip with programmed temp alarms so I was not worried.

1100 straight thru stopping only for food, fuel and bathroom breaks. 70 MPH average speed for the entire 1100 miles.
Mine is still good. The one in the car is 30-40K miles and was fine this winter when I was driving it. Always got up to 95C. It started leaking very early in its life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
I can appreciate your creativity here, but why not just replace the o-rings? A more durable o-ring installed correctly would be a cheap and simple safeguard.
Not much reason to spend more effort than just applying high temp RTV. It definitely will work and last. It's also very cheap.

Last edited by WDE46; 02-03-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #19
Jason325xi
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 325xi 5speed
Thanks for the write up WDE46! Im glad it got bumped, i have a brand new whaler waiting for its day to get installed so I'll probably do this before its day comes
Adjustable koni yellow front struts, Rob43 9-way adjustable rear shocks, Special Rob43 lowering springs, supreme power drop hats, billet aluminum rear shock mounts, poly RTAB, poly FCAB, G.A.S. Disa kit, G.A.S. 1.2bar expansion tank cap, M56 valve cover

"No, thanks. I'm a vegetarian." Is a fun thing to say when someone hands you their baby.

Jason325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:15 AM   #20
PeteAU

My Ride: 330i
Hi WDE46,

Thanks for the pics and invaluable info.
I've gone through 2 leaky Wahler heating elements and it's annoying.

I don't have a new gasket on-hand, so don't want to remove the housing. Do you think the heating element could be removed with the housing still on the car? Then replace the o-rings or apply RTV and slide it back in.

Or is access to the back-side (therostat side) necessary?
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote