Front Windshield Replacement Parts - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #1
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Front Windshield Replacement Parts

I am gathering all the correct pieces for a RLS windshield so I am ready when I have a glass company do the work. So does anyone have suggestions on all the pieces I need. Obviously I want to change the cowl, the rubber seal is cracking. Do you recommend the side pieces? Someone else recommended the cabin filter while it was out. Any parts I am missing other than the windshield itself and the rain light sensor? Recommendations on a good source? FCP Euro seems to have the best pricing and I want OEM parts. TIA

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:35 AM   #2
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Bump on this question. Can anyone help with giving their experience on replacing the windshield. I have read OEM seals, Pilkington or Sekurit glass, windshield cowl, etc? Does anyone have advise so I can assemble all the parts needed to do this right?

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 01-31-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
I haven't replaced the windshield but have read a few threads from people who did and the ones in the know insisted on Pilkington and OEM seals as you mentioned.

I have replaced a few rubber cowls and side pieces on E39 and E46 and the one thing I needed was a very short gear puller. The arms were stuck on the shafts pretty tight, and there's not much vertical clearance with the hood in the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2836.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	649268  

BaliDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
I haven't replaced the windshield but have read a few threads from people who did and the ones in the know insisted on Pilkington and OEM seals as you mentioned.

I have replaced a few rubber cowls and side pieces on E39 and E46 and the one thing I needed was a very short gear puller. The arms were stuck on the shafts pretty tight, and there's not much vertical clearance with the hood in the way.
So you recommend the side pieces with the cowl? Is there only one seal for the windshield? I see on FCP Euro they call it an upper seal. I wonder if that is the only seal needed? Also, I read doing the cabin filter while it was all apart? Im thinking FCP Euro for the parts unless you have a different opinion. Thanks BaliDawg

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 01-24-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:52 AM   #5
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
So you recommend the side pieces with the cowl? Is there only one seal for the windshield? I see on FCP Euro they call it an upper seal. I wonder if that is the only seal needed? Also, I read doing the cabin filter while it was all apart? Im thinking FCP Euro for the parts unless you have a different opinion. Thanks BaliDawg
Yeah, I would do the side pieces as well. I just like doing it all while I'm in there, ya know?

I don't know about the windshield seal. This is what realoem shows.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_3223
Window installers normally use a special glue/sealer and a replacement rubber trim if the old one is cracked.
I would just google "windshield e46fanatics" and spend some time wading through the results. The information is out there as I've seen threads in the past cover it in detail.

The cabin filter probably needs changing, but it's super easy to access so no rush if the current one is good.

I like FCPEuro a lot. They stand behind their products and value customer service #1. Plus there's the competitive price matching, lifetime warranty, fast order processing and shipping, frequent discount codes. And being a forum sponser they always jump in whenever an issue arises.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #6
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

On a side note, just want to thank you for all you've contributed so far. For a fairly new member, you've figured out some tricky things and freely shared the results and helped others. That's what makes this forum special. Keep it up! Plus, the race pics are a treat.

Edit: just noticed your join date is 2005. Guess you're no newbie here. My bad.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 01-24-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #7
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
On a side note, just want to thank you for all you've contributed so far. For a fairly new member, you've figured out some tricky things and freely shared the results and helped others. That's what makes this forum special. Keep it up! Plus, the race pics are a treat.

Thanks BaliDawg. Like you, I enjoy solving problems and helping people.

I got my E46 in 2005 and hit it hard back then with E46Fanatics until about 2010 and then went 6 years neglecting my baby and just started hitting it hard again last year. I was thinking about getting a Mercedes C300 for my next car but I just can't let my E46 go. So I am in the process of giving my E46 a new life and this forum and it's members are Gospel for anyone maintaining their E46. I love it here.

No Fear

Old 01-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #8
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Thanks again for your help BaliDawg. I tried FCP Euro but they did not have the side cowl pieces so I went with ECS. I bought a used rain/light sensor on eBay for $29.00 and we'll see how it works when it gets here (came off a working 2004 E46). I ordered a Saint Gobain Sekurit rain/light version windshield and the remaining parts from ECS. Should be able to start my auto wipers / auto lights retrofit next week when I get home from Daytona. Do you see anything I missed besides the RLS connector and pins?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ECS Order.jpg
Views:	939
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	649280  

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 01-25-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #9
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

I also ordered the windshield cowl clips, only to find the cowl came with a complete set of them. So maybe check the cowl parts list?

Edit: yeah, I see in the last product photo that the cowl includes the clips. Too late to edit the order?

Edit: post the ebay link for the rain sensor. I want to see if it includes its cover or not.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 01-24-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #10
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
I also ordered the windshield cowl clips, only to find the cowl came with a complete set of them. So maybe check the cowl parts list?

Edit: yeah, I see in the last product photo that the cowl includes the clips. Too late to edit the order?
No worries, basically a dollar each. I have spares!

No Fear

Old 01-24-2017, 11:01 PM   #11
inferno nexus

My Ride: F30 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
I am gathering all the correct pieces for a RLS windshield so I am ready when I have a glass company do the work. So does anyone have suggestions on all the pieces I need. Obviously I want to change the cowl, the rubber seal is cracking. Do you recommend the side pieces? Someone else recommended the cabin filter while it was out. Any parts I am missing other than the windshield itself and the rain light sensor? Recommendations on a good source? FCP Euro seems to have the best pricing and I want OEM parts. TIA
I'd recommend replacing the apron covers under the windshield cowl. My plastic side pieces (which are included in the ECS kit) were fine and didn't need replacement, but the rubber pieces were in bad shape.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...ostcount=31104

inferno nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:15 AM   #12
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
Quote:

I'm glad someone said it. I've been thinking the same thing. I pretty much know the regulars here and then one day you showed up. I thought you were a newbie but most newbies don't become modded members. I was all thrown off! Appreciate your intelligent comments sir!
|
|

BMWCCA GGC: 530872
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:56 AM   #13
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno nexus View Post
I'd recommend replacing the apron covers under the windshield cowl. My plastic side pieces (which are included in the ECS kit) were fine and didn't need replacement, but the rubber pieces were in bad shape.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...ostcount=31104
Thank you inferno nexus. I added those apron covers/seals to my order.

Sent from my E46Fanatics mobile app

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 01-25-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:04 AM   #14
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
I'm glad someone said it. I've been thinking the same thing. I pretty much know the regulars here and then one day you showed up. I thought you were a newbie but most newbies don't become modded members. I was all thrown off! Appreciate your intelligent comments sir!
Thank you YoitsTmac. I got my E46 CPO from the dealer in 2005 with 30,000 miles on her and bone stock. I have put another 170,000 miles on her with the help here on our forum for 12 years. The combined knowledge and experience on here is nothing short of amazing. I love our family

Sent from my E46Fanatics mobile app

No Fear

Old 01-25-2017, 06:20 PM   #15
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:

Edit: post the ebay link for the rain sensor. I want to see if it includes its cover or not.
Here is the link to the RLS sensor I got BaliDawg. I believe the lens is part of the Sekurit windshield if I am not mistaken. I guess we'll see.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182118038874...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

No Fear

Old 01-31-2017, 07:00 PM   #16
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Everything for my auto lights, auto wipers retrofit project arrives here tomorrow. All prepped and ready to go. BMW Saint Gobain Sekurit glass gets installed in the morning and my order from ECS Tuning with all the new windshield cowl pieces arrives by noon as well. I made the harness for the RLS today and am just waiting on the connector that had to be ordered from the dealer and hoping it arrives tomorrow as well so I can wire it up and start the coding. Woo-hoo!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170131_194708.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	649580  

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 01-31-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:47 PM   #17
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

Looking good! Did you need a puller to remove the wiper arms? I did.

After all these upgrades you're gonna have to increase the car's year.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:08 PM   #18
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Looking good! Did you need a puller to remove the wiper arms? I did.

After all these upgrades you're gonna have to increase the car's year.
Ha! After this retrofit, I guess it is down to M Tech II front and rear bumpers. I bought the side skirts a month ago and they are getting lonely...

The wiper arms came right off with a little gentle persuasion. I just wiggled them up and down and side to side and they loosened right up. But this "garage queen" hardly ever sees rain.

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 02-01-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:18 PM   #19
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

And done! Everything went off without a hitch. I had reservations going in about the retrofit automatic wipers and lights coding but the lights didn't need anything and the wipers was a simple check mark in PA Soft in the ZKE (GM5) module. For anyone looking for the wiring locations, I have provided the pin number for the RLS and the destination.

RLS pin 1 (KLR power)...to/from... Fuse 15 (mine was empty) (violet)
RLS pin 2 (ground)...to/from... empty connection on ground strip module above fuse box (brown)
RLS pin 3 (k-bus)...to/from... empty connection on K Bus strip module above fuse box (white/red/yellow)
RLS pin 4 (wiper motor signal)...to/from... X253 GM5 pin 45 (brown/green)

A lot easier than I thought but I tend to over engineer everything, it's just who I am...

Harness for RLS made waiting on windshield.

All the cowl covers, seals and cabin filter arrived right on time. Thanks ECS Tuning!

While the glass was out I ran the wires for the RLS and removing the pillar cover and routing the harness was so easy with the glass out!

Dropping in the new glass

Reassemble everything and job complete. Looks like factory.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170201_113509.jpg
Views:	5805
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	649607   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170201_121914.jpg
Views:	959
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	649608   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170201_124019.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	649609   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170201_124908.jpg
Views:	899
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	649610  

Name:	20170201_125147.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	649611   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170201_183823.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	649612  

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 02-01-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:35 PM   #20
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
let us know how the Rain Sensor works. so many times after a windshield change the lens sensor doesn't read as it did before and causes a fault in the system. yours is newly coded for it so it might not have the same issues as those of us who had it function before have it inoperative.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote