Structural foam - help requested - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2017, 06:16 AM   #1
dutchhome

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Structural foam - help requested

We have our M3 at the body shop getting new rear axle carrier panel and trunk floor panels installed. They are also installing the Redish reinforcement kit. If all goes well we expect to have the car back next week.

The plan is to inject the structural foam ourselves after we get it back, but I'm not exactly sure what the correct process is or the best order to do everything.

The car is basically gutted right now, so the first question is what all should we put back together first? Anything? Or should we plan on leaving everything off until the curing process is complete?

Next, since we are going to be filling both sides with the structural epoxy, how does the process differ from the BMW instructions? The are a few diy's I've found but I'm not confident they describe our situation. One is from someone who did each side separately. The other was from early on when it was all being figured out. Is there a current article or post describing filling both sides at once? For instance, is it necessary to drill out the center hole?

Also, what about capping or plugging the holes afterwards? BMW lists rubber body plugs, but the Redish pictures appear to show metal caps?

Obviously I'm trying to understand before jumping in and I would really appreciate any help you can provide. Also, would anyone have the applicator gun they would be willing to loan out? Or are they cheap enough to just buy?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by dutchhome; 03-16-2017 at 06:20 AM.
dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
Imola46

My Ride: Porsche, BMW, Merced
Google is your friend click me
Imola46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
dutchhome

Thanks for the reply but that is one of the threads I was talking about. From what I can see there aren't clear instructions for injecting the epoxy for the entire panel. The OP did one side, waited a couple months and then did the other side. There was a little chatter about doing it all at once but nothing definitive.

Last edited by dutchhome; 03-16-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 02:01 AM   #4
04yfz

My Ride: A car
I would advise against the structural foam and going with a "vincebar" type reinforcement instead. The real problem is that the subframe is attached to the sheet metal and not the frame rails.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:07 AM   #5
dutchhome

I tracked down Vince's thread (linked below). I've heard of this mentioned before but I was under the impression it was visible and was more for tracking a car. I didn't realize it was invisible after installation. Unfortunately he doesn't have any kits available right now but window of opportunity is now.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=529214

Here is how our car looks as of yesterday:

Old 03-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
04yfz

My Ride: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchhome View Post
I tracked down Vince's thread (linked below). I've heard of this mentioned before but I was under the impression it was visible and was more for tracking a car. I didn't realize it was invisible after installation. Unfortunately he doesn't have any kits available right now but window of opportunity is now.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=529214

Here is how our car looks as of yesterday:

Oh wait I recognize your username, you bought the M3 from NJ that had the torn subframe I believe? You can still do a vince style reinforcement since you have it open and you're welding anyway, just go custom.

Last edited by 04yfz; 03-17-2017 at 12:10 PM.
04yfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
dutchhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04yfz View Post
Oh wait I recognize your username, you bought the M3 from NJ that had the torn subframe I believe? You can still do a vince style reinforcement since you have it open and you're welding anyway, just go custom.
Yes, good memory :-)

I did get hold of Vince and he is willing to make me a kit. It would be a bit more for the extra time as he would be using his old jig instead of laser cutting the tubular wedge pieces (for the gussets), but he should be able to get it in the post on Monday.

Going completely custom is also a possibility. Considering the time Vince has put into this and the resell potential of a real Vince Bar, I'm most likely going to order the one from him. Time is ticking so I need to make a decision this afternoon!

Thank you for the replies. I'm happy to say I'm going to skip the foam and do this right. Some day I hope to drive the car for the first time :-)

Last edited by dutchhome; 03-17-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
dutchhome

Just to close the loop, I did order the Vince Bar. Vince had to make a couple of the parts by hand in order to ship it out quickly. What a great guy and my body shop is impressed with the bar.

@04yfz: thanks again for pointing me in his direction. I'm confident this car will never have to worry about subframe related issues again.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:10 PM   #9
dutchhome

It has mostly arrived. Posting pictures here for reference. I think I lost at least one part through the big hole in the box..