Cluster Swap Tamper Dot Removal (success) - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2017, 12:12 AM   #1
Steveej

My Ride: Current BM: 00 E46
Cluster Swap Tamper Dot Removal (success)

Update 7/23/17: Added a PDF with instructions on exactly what I did. Maybe it'll be helpful to someone.
I did it multiple times with the mileage higher and lower than the original mileage. Worked the same both times.
It looks like newer cars use FA instead of ZCS, the FA is located in the LCM instead of the EWS on some of those vehicles. I'm not sure if it'll still work the same on newer vehicles than mine.

When I google searched this I couldn't find any posts newer than 2014ish. The posts that were successful talked about swapping the M35080 chip.

I was able to do it using PAsoft BMWScan 1.4.
I did this on a 2000 323Ci. The "new" cluster was from the junkers, from a 323i from I believe 2000.

First, I copied down the mileage from the old cluster and recorded/converted to kilometers. Also recorded the VIN number. You only need the last seven digits.
Then, I swapped the clusters. Sure enough, the tamper dot showed up.
I was able to change the mileage easy enough but when I tried to change the vin it told me to reset first. There is a button to reset, but it is grayed out.

To reset the mileage; (program it to "000000")
First, in the EWS I programmed the EWS --> IKE.
Then in the IKE I did the same thing. EWS --> IKE.
I then hit restart in the IKE
I then programmed mileage to "000000"... success
Programmed the last 7 of the VIN, no more tamper dot.
Programmed the mileage to be correct.
Good as new.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMWTamperDotRemovalReduced.pdf (4.62 MB, 1275 views)

Last edited by Steveej; 07-23-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Adding How-To PDF
Steveej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:29 AM   #2
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
Good job I don't think I have seen this before,
Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | 330Ci
Nice job.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #4
RedOctober330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveej View Post
When I google searched this I couldn't find any posts newer than 2014ish. The posts that were successful talked about swapping the M35080 chip.

I was able to do it using PAsoft BMWScan 1.4.

I did this on a 2000 323Ci. The "new" cluster was from the junkers, from a 323i from I believe 2000.

First, I copied down the mileage from the old cluster and recorded/converted to kilometers. Also recorded the VIN number. You only need the last seven digits.

Then, I swapped the clusters. Sure enough, the tamper dot showed up.

I was able to change the mileage easy enough but when I tried to change the vin it told me to reset first. There is a button to reset, but it is grayed out.

To reset the mileage; (program it to "000000")

First, in the EWS I programmed the EWS --> IKE.

Then in the IKE I did the same thing. EWS --> IKE.

I then hit restart in the IKE

I then programmed mileage to "000000"... success

Programmed the last 7 of the VIN, no more tamper dot.

Programmed the mileage to be correct.

Good as new.

I need to do this exact thing. Have 87k on the car but cluster has 148k.....I want to redo the mileage.

One BMW to rule them all....
RedOctober330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:22 PM   #5
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
I suspect it's because it's an older cluster.

Waiting for scottjoh to weigh in with his assessment....
Old 06-30-2017, 09:45 PM   #6
RedOctober330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post

If you meant my cluster, you are correct; it is an older cluster. I originally tried to swap out my sport wheel to an M3 wheel, and when I plugged everything back in, it fried my cluster so I had to pick up a new one. I don't care ab the tamper dot but the 50,000 extra miles sucks. I'm told PA Soft cannot lower mileage only add to it?

Old 06-30-2017, 10:07 PM   #7
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
Waiting to hear that this can be down with a newer cluster. Would like to know about ZHP clusters...
Old 06-30-2017, 10:11 PM   #8
RedOctober330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
Waiting to hear that this can be down with a newer cluster. Would like to know about ZHP clusters...

I know you can do it with LOWER mileage clusters; just unsure ab higher mileage.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:30 PM   #9
UncleShrek

My Ride: 2000 323i Touring
So this doesn't work on an M cluster??
Old 07-01-2017, 02:30 AM   #10
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post

I only repair clusters. I have no knowledge at all regarding coding them, changing mileage or anything like that. A while ago I thought about getting into it, but, later figured, what's the point! Repairing the cars original cluster is a lot easier and guaranteed, no problems with compatibility, tamper dots, wrong mileage or anything like that. The original cluster will have the correct LCD display, all the needed indicator LED installed, the right options coded, correct VIN, no tamper dot, miles will automatically update from the LSZ as designed. Far easier to deal with. Absolutely no weird issues.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:01 AM   #11
iowna330xi

My Ride: 323i Turbo
Clusters made by Motometer are re programmable using Pa Soft. Anything made by Bosch has the M35080 chip. I think the cut off year for Motometer was around 2001 or 2002.
iowna330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #12
RedOctober330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
I only repair clusters. I have no knowledge at all regarding coding them, changing mileage or anything like that. A while ago I thought about getting into it, but, later figured, what's the point! Repairing the cars original cluster is a lot easier and guaranteed, no problems with compatibility, tamper dots, wrong mileage or anything like that. The original cluster will have the correct LCD display, all the needed indicator LED installed, the right options coded, correct VIN, no tamper dot, miles will automatically update from the LSZ as designed. Far easier to deal with. Absolutely no weird issues.

Do you repair clusters for others? What do you "repair?"

Old 07-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #13
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowna330xi View Post
Clusters made by Motometer are re programmable using Pa Soft. Anything made by Bosch has the M35080 chip. I think the cut off year for Motometer was around 2001 or 2002.
Some of the clusters that say Bosch on them are really Motometer circuit boards inside. So much fun! It's only by opening it up or reading the IKE through INPA or GT1/DIS that you can see it's a Motometer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober330i View Post
Do you repair clusters for others? What do you "repair?"
I do repair clusters for others. I repair what's wrong with the. Some clusters have bad fuel gauge inputs causing erroneous fuel readings. Other I've repaired has bad ambient temp sensor inputs which caused a DME fault for ambient air temp even though the BC button wasn't enabled and ambient temp was not displayed on the cluster displays. Some have no gauges, but, everything else works fine. Some are nearly completely dead with just the ABS and/or seat belt lights on. There is no one problem that all clusters fail with and not one component that always fails. I do not touch clusters with mileage issues or if the LCD displays PPPPP.

Last edited by scottjoh; 07-02-2017 at 05:59 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:13 PM   #14
RedOctober330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowna330xi View Post

Is ANYTHING in those clusters reprogrammable? Including mileage? The ZHP cluster I have is made by Bosch.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #15
M130

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Some of the clusters that say Bosch on them are really Motometer circuit boards inside. So much fun!

I do repair clusters for others. I repair what's wrong with the. Some clusters have bad fuel gauge inputs causing erroneous fuel readings. Other I've repaired has bad ambient temp sensor inputs which caused a DME fault for ambient air temp even though the BC button wasn't enabled and ambient temp was not displayed on the cluster displays. Some have no gauges, but, everything else works fine. Some are nearly completely dead with just the ABS and/or seat belt lights on. There is no one problem that all clusters fail with and not one component that always fails. I do not touch clusters with mileage issues or if the LCD displays PPPPP.
PMd - Need your services.
M130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #16
RedOctober330i

Quote:
Some of the clusters that say Bosch on them are really Motometer circuit boards inside. So much fun!

Sooooooo.....clusters that read PPPPP....what does that mean, exactly? That's what mine says which has caused all my issues.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #17
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober330i View Post
Sooooooo.....clusters that read PPPPP....what does that mean, exactly? That's what mine says which has caused all my issues.
I don't know what the PPPPP means, but, my friend who used to be a BMW mechanic says it's toast and the cluster needs to be replaced. Neither of us have any idea why or how it happens or any way to fix it.

Last edited by scottjoh; 07-02-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:36 PM   #18
RedOctober330i

Quote:
I don't know what the PPPPP means, but, my friend who used to be a BMW mechanic says it's toast and the cluster needs to be replaced. Neither of us have any idea why or how it happens or any way to fix it.

Damn it. I had a feeling that's what happened. I picked up a cluster locally but it has 60k more mileage than the one I have. I'm told you can add mileage to a cluster but not reprogram to pull mileage off. I'm thinking I have to buy a 2nd cluster with lower mileage.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:27 AM   #19
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

Used cluster. Good luck with that.

Last edited by scottjoh; 07-03-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #20
RedOctober330i

Quote:
Used cluster. Good luck that.

Yeah....$1,000+ for a brand new one ISN'T happening. That's 20% of my car lol.