One Click INPA install and upgrade to ISTA - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46,e90,e92,e83
One Click INPA install and upgrade to ISTA

Now tools like OBD Fusion and PA Soft might all be part of your arsenal for an e46 but there are times when neither of these will do the job. Good examples are Brake Module replacements, or Steering Angle Sensor calibrations. This is why every e46 owner needs a working copy of dealer level software. At least 10 times a week or more there are new posts about INPA. Even the thread titled NOT SO EASY sees the OP frequently having to remote access the owner PC trying to resolve install issues for this not so difficult version. Well these days of install confusion with INPA and configuration issues are over?

It's never been easier to install BMW Standard Tools thanks to Stylinmike over at Bimmerfest. A while back he created this single one click install that will detect your Windows version and make the necessary modifications; it will even install the correct USB drivers for your Amazon or eBay K+DCAN cable.
What's great about having a known working copy of BMW Standard Tools (INPA, NCS Expert, EDIABAS etc.) is that it is a prerequisite to upgrading your system to support Rheingold/ISTA.

Rheingold/ ISTA is the current Dealer Level Diagnostic tool for diagnosing and repairing your e46. So once you install the simplest install version of BMW Standard Tools ever produced you can add Rheingold/ISTA to your new BMW Standard Tools as it uses the same EDIABAS 7.3.0 program for comm purposes - with existing K+DCAN cable. This makes your diagnostic system capable for a wide version of BMW's including e46 all the way up to Fxx series cars. If you don't want to add Rheingold/ISTA that's ok too - you'll have a working copy of INPA and NCS Expert.
Here's Mike's version and info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinmike View Post
SINGLE INSTALLATION FILE. ZERO CONFIG.

The package takes all the guess work out of getting your computer ready for coding and diagnostics. It will be extremely useful for novices as well and basically is one single installation file that installs and sets up EVERYTHING.

What's installed:
- Inpa 5.0.6 (with English script files & Support for F-series)
- EDIABAS 7.3.0
- NCS Expert (with English menus and buttons, and NCS Dummy Profile pre-installed)
- NCS Dummy 4.0.1
- Tool32 4.0.3
- WinKFP 5.3.1
- Integrated SP-DATEN v53.3
- BMW Coding Tool v2.5.0 (for use as an alternative to NCS Dummy, or to update DATEN files as new ones become available)
- USB Drivers for cable

Why is this beneficial?

- One single installation will install ALL the programs needed for coding & diagnosis, will update the programs to show English menus, will set up NCSExpert with the correct NCSDummy profile, will automatically install USB Drivers, and comes integrated with SP-DATEN 53.3 (YES, Integrated!)

- All the latest versions of the programs in one neat install file

- No hunting or searching for SP-DATENs then struggling to import them

- SMALL file size. The entire package is only 170MB!! No need to download 15GB of DATEN files.

- System Environment PATH variables taken care of by the installer

- USB Driver included and automatically installed (and figured out if you need the 32 bit or 64 bit driver by itself)

The ONLY thing that users may need to do is reconfigure their COM port to be COM1 after the install, but a Readme file pops up after the install with simple instructions.

DOWNLOAD

_a2_ _sl_
This is the very best and easiest install of INPA, NCS Expert etc. I have ever seen. I've installed Mike's version on several machines (Win x86 and Win 64) and it works great. In seconds you have a fully configured Windows PC for diagnosing, coding and maintaining your BMW. But for me its real benefit comes from assuring that you have the correct base for installing the Rheingold/ISTA layer. (EDIABAS 7.3.0)

Now for some here they'll not be interested in ISTA, and they only wanted INPA & NCS Expert so you really only need the one file from Mike:

One-Click Install of BMW Standard Tools Download

However if you do install Mike's version it has the necessary layer of EDIABAS (internal BMW Comm app) to support Rheingold/ISTA. For those who want to upgrade their INPA to ISTA read on:

What is BMW Rheingold ISTA?

ISTA is a workshop system that contains BMW AG Data and Information. ISTA stands for Integrated Service Technical Application. Way back when, during the initial development of this tool, BMW used DIS (Diagnostics Information System), and as the programs evolved and due to the nature of the file naming conventions utilized by BMW, the workshop system became known as Rheingold in the enthusiast world. Rheingold in actuality is the folder that contains the main application and data. Rheingold became ISTA-D (D stands for Diagnostics) and BMW's programming application used the same nomenclature, ISTA except with a P (for programming) or ISTA-P.

I have INPA - why would I want Rheingold/ISTA?

Well for a start it's a much more modern application (Current Dealer tool for e46) with intuitive GUI screens and tabs and stable. In addition to a wider range and span of vehicles, advanced diagnostics, printed reports, vehicle diagnostic history the best feature in my opinion and most important - it's fully in ENGLISH. Rheingold/ISTA supports many languages that are maintained in the SQL Server dB - English being the default, not German. So unlike INPA where you often are posed with German phrases and technical terms, Rheingold/ ISTA takes the guesswork out of wondering and the possibility of guessing wrong. Your install of BMW Standard Tools will still operate co-dependently with Rheingold/ISTA and you will still use NCS Expert for coding for e- chassis vehicles. For F-chassis and beyond ISTA-P will be used.
ISTA offers 3 different types of cables for vehicle coms (K+DCAN; ICOM and E-NET) - you can use your current K+DCAN cable that you use for INPA

For more in-depth information on installing ISTA, links to the software & more, see here:
http://blog.obdii365.com/2017/11/16/...nstallation/#2

For a quick link to the software that will install over BMW Standard Tools:
BMW Rheingold ISTA+ 4.03.21 Standalone +SQLiteDBs +language package

Edit Dec 27,2018;Some have stated the above link intermittent. Here are two more sources for the ISTA download:

ISTA Download Link 2 - (Scroll down the page)

ISTA Download Link Page - (Links various download servers - verified active 12/27/2018)

Here's some snaps of ISTA in use with my e92 and e46 (using same K+DCAN cable)

E92 Vehicle Info

E46 Vehicle Info

E92 Error Diagnosis

E46 Error Diagnosis

Again, if you don't want ISTA but just the absolute simplest version of INPA/NCS Expert to install here it is:

Mikes BMW Standard Tools Download

Unfortunately there is no one-click install for the Rheingold/ISTA layer over top but it's pretty straightforward using the attached instructions and the linked page (BLOG) earlier in this post.

Attachment: ISTA Info & Install Guide
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GUIDE TO ISTA+ (2).pdf (2.36 MB, 1391 views)

Last edited by BMW-North; 12-27-2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Corrected typo on EDIABAS version 7.3.0
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
se93

My Ride: BMW 328ci AW MTECH2
Hello BMW-North,

Great information. I have been curious to see how ISTA works and looks really detailed. Now, as you state above, BMW Standard Tools will continue to function (INPA, NCS, Winkfp) independently having installed ISTA, right? So, the E46 guys would not be able to update DME software with ISTA?

I am going to give it a try, but i just want to ensure that my BMW Standard Tools will be fully functional and not affected by the ISTA installation.

Thank you for posting this information up.

Regards,
Mark
Old 04-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
BMW-North

Quote:
Originally Posted by se93 View Post
Hello BMW-North,

Great information. I have been curious to see how ISTA works and looks really detailed. Now, as you state above, BMW Standard Tools will continue to function (INPA, NCS, Winkfp) independently having installed ISTA, right? So, the E46 guys would not be able to update DME software with ISTA?

I am going to give it a try, but i just want to ensure that my BMW Standard Tools will be fully functional and not affected by the ISTA installation.

Thank you for posting this information up.

Regards,
Mark
They can co-exist and function fully on the same PC provided your BMW Standard Tools install has the correct version of EDIABAS for ISTA-D to work (Version 7.3.0)

Edit: Note to use the K+DCAN cable for ISTA the comm port is modified to COM9.

Last edited by BMW-North; 04-13-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #4
generalvp

My Ride: 05 330ci zhp
Nice info. I have ISTA installed awhile ago but never really played with it because I thought it was harder to use compared to D1S/INPA/NCS. I may have to revisit that program again....
generalvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
dutchhome

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Sweet. Thanks for posting! I've been wanting to reinstall everything into a clean VM but I have held back because it is always so annoying setting everything up. Is there a recommended version of Windows to use? Windows 7? Windows 10? 32-bit / 64-bit? I've always just used XP in the past, but it sounds like it no longer matters so may as well install something newer that can actually be patched. I just don't want to choose a Windows version and find out later some feature doesn't work.
dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #6
BIC_BAWS

My Ride: '02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchhome View Post
Sweet. Thanks for posting! I've been wanting to reinstall everything into a clean VM but I have held back because it is always so annoying setting everything up.
Do you have to install to a VM? Can you use say a work laptop? Or does the program not function well with normal usage, and it's not reccomended to use your main device?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
BMW-North

Quote:
Sweet. Thanks for posting! I've been wanting to reinstall everything into a clean VM but I have held back because it is always so annoying setting everything up. Is there a recommended version of Windows to use? Windows 7? Windows 10? 32-bit / 64-bit? I've always just used XP in the past, but it sounds like it no longer matters so may as well install something newer that can actually be patched. I just don't want to choose a Windows version and find out later some feature doesn't work.
Why a VM? - No VM needed. It will work as installed in Win 7, 8 or 10 32 & 64 (Both BMW Standard Tools and ISTA)

If you are referring to BMW Standard Tools my main PC is a Win 7 Pro 64-bit. I've also put it on 32-bit Win 7 Home PC's without issue. Never tried it on XP as I leave that netbook alone with nothing but PA Soft on it. On Bimmerfest folks install it on Windows 10.

For ISTA:

System Requirements:
Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit)
Windows 8 or 8.1 (32-bit or 64-bit)
Windows 10 (32-bit or 64-bit)
2.2Ghz CPU - 2 core minimum, core i5 or i7 recommended
4GB RAM, 8GB recommended
Minimum 20+GB HDD free space for ISTA+ Diagnostics with ONE language,

Last edited by BMW-North; 04-13-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #8
BMW-North

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Do you have to install to a VM? Can you use say a work laptop? Or does the program not function well with normal usage, and it's not reccomended to use your main device?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
No VM required - it is native Windows.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #9
se93

My Ride: BMW 328ci AW MTECH2
I think they may be referring to installing DIS as it only runs off of a virtual machine

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Old 04-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #10
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
I've tried out having ista and inpa on the same PC. The cable stopped working for inpa even though the com port was set correctly.
And for the teamviewer thing, usually it's a bad download or bad cable that causes the need for me to check. I do agree that it isn't completely easy. I've thought of making a one click installer but I never got too far with it.
I don't like Mike's BMW tools. I've helped 3+ members that had issues with ncs-expert because of Mike's BMW tools
Old 04-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #11
BMW-North

If you're only ever gonna work on an e46, ISTA might be overkill. It does however eliminate the Windows 7,8, &10 and 64-bit native compatibility issues. More importantly you overcome the often INPA language barrier.

Many enthusiasts however have more than 1 chassis in their stable including newer models. ISTA then makes more sense since you develop familiarity & a working knowledge in the same program that can be used across multiple chassis including Mini, and newer FXX series BMW's.

Hmm...Mike's tools have never let me down on a variety of installs in both the US and Canada. Mind you - I never try to do it remotely, I figure if someone can't figure out how to install something this simple yet powerful - it's maybe just as well since not reading instructions fully can cause serious consequences. Teach a man to fish...... etc.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:50 PM   #12
armenh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
If you're only ever gonna work on an e46, ISTA might be overkill. It does however eliminate the Windows 7,8, &10 and 64-bit native compatibility issues. More importantly you overcome the often INPA language barrier.

Many enthusiasts however have more than 1 chassis in their stable including newer models. ISTA then makes more sense since you develop familiarity & a working knowledge in the same program that can be used across multiple chassis including Mini, and newer FXX series BMW's.

Hmm...Mike's tools have never let me down on a variety of installs in both the US and Canada. Mind you - I never try to do it remotely, I figure if someone can't figure out how to install something this simple yet powerful - it's maybe just as well since not reading instructions fully can cause serious consequences. Teach a man to fish...... etc.
Good point
armenh7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:18 AM   #13
dutchhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
Why a VM? - No VM needed. It will work as installed in Win 7, 8 or 10 32 & 64 (Both BMW Standard Tools and ISTA)
I understand it isn't necessary to run on a VM. It's just personal preference. I don't want to dual boot and I don't want to dedicate a laptop. I work with VM's every day and it's now second nature to me.

Thank you for your answer on versions. That definitely answered my question.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 04-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #14
dutchhome

The one click installer for the normal BMW tools was really impressive. Rather than taking an hour of tedious steps and wondering if I missed something, this took seconds to complete. I like it!

The ISTA installation is severely lacking. I say that because all of the docs I can find (including the one you posted) say to run the unblock.reg registry update, but it isn't included in the downloads as far as I can tell. The instructions say that it is required and should not be skipped.. So, am I missing something?
Old 04-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #15
BMW-North

Quote:
The one click installer for the normal BMW tools was really impressive. Rather than taking an hour of tedious steps and wondering if I missed something, this took seconds to complete. I like it!

The ISTA installation is severely lacking. I say that because all of the docs I can find (including the one you posted) say to run the unblock.reg registry update, but it isn't included in the downloads as far as I can tell. The instructions say that it is required and should not be skipped.. So, am I missing something?
The unblock file is only needed if the 7 zip file is blocked (by your own OP sys security) . You can see by right clicking on the file properties and looking at the results.

Here's a link to a better ISTA archive with the unblock file

https://mega.nz/#F!dAxihCja!0JoWxVXavz6Exwgvp6fyLA
Old 04-19-2018, 05:56 AM   #16
protomor

My Ride: 2001330
I'm actually building a laptop just for coding. I'd like to get PA Soft and all of this in one machine that I can just take with me. This will make things much simpler.

Edit: Wow this is hard coded to go to BMW's IP address for the lookups. Can't decide if that's good or bad.

Last edited by protomor; 04-19-2018 at 06:00 AM.
protomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #17
Mandinka

My Ride: E88
Hi, new member here - I was just looking around the internet for some help with finding a download for INPA for my E88 and came across this thread. Does anyone know if this version will have the necessary parts for me to code new fuel injectors ?
I was reading the bimmerfest thread "Mike's easy BMW tools Package" and there were some comments from users saying they couldn't find anything to help them code injectors when they had downloaded the software. Nobody had offered any assistance in there so I'm just wondering if anyone in here knows the answer.
Thanks
Mandinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #18
dutchhome

The install of INPA in the one click install on the 1st post above does not have support for E88.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by dutchhome; 04-19-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #19
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automatic
Quote:
The install of INPA in the one click install on the 1st post above does not have support for E88.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Seems hard to believe for a car generation available as early as 2004. If this INPA version supports either the E81 or E87, then it may work with the e88 even if not specifically listed in the menus. Maybe??
LeverThis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #20
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverThis View Post
Seems hard to believe for a car generation available as early as 2004. If this INPA version supports either the E81 or E87, then it may work with the e88 even if not specifically listed in the menus. Maybe??
I think you select E89. What year is your 1 series? If you have the K+D CAN cable, you don't need pins 7 and 8 jumped if it is post 2008.

Digital Competition Systems
The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download;, inpa, install, ista, ncs expert