Can stalling a manual kill the starter? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
Can stalling a manual kill the starter?

Hey guys 2 nights ago I got my car back from a parking garage and she wouldn't start unless I pushed started it. The valet guy mentioned how my car was hard to drive. Coincidence? Or did the valet guy stall my car enough to burn out the starter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:27 AM   #2
darkfires102

My Ride: 325xi, '07 E60 M5
Year: 2003
Transmission: 5spd Manual
Stalling a manual will not kill the starter directly, the extra usage of the starter to get the engine running again will wear it out, but unless you're stalling the car like 100x a day it wouldn't be anything other than normal wear and tear. Definitely a coincidence.
darkfires102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:59 AM   #3
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogthebountyhunter View Post
Hey guys 2 nights ago I got my car back from a parking garage and she wouldn't start unless I pushed started it. The valet guy mentioned how my car was hard to drive. Coincidence? Or did the valet guy stall my car enough to burn out the starter?
No. The starter has nothing to do with the running of the car. The only purpose it serve is to turn the engine over until it starts. After that all it does is sit there disconnected from everthing except the power supply until the next time you need it to start the car again. Sounds like a battery issue.

Last edited by RayPooley; 08-14-2019 at 05:00 AM.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 05:02 AM   #4
Dogthebountyhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Quote:
No. The starter has nothing to do with the running of the car. The only purpose it serve is to turn the engine over until it starts. After that all it does is sit there disconnected from everthing except the power supply until the next time you need it to start the car again.
Yea I get how the starter works, I was thinking maybe lots of starts in a short amount of time could burn it out or something. Especially on an old starter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:36 AM   #5
DBecker

My Ride: e30,e34,z3,e39
Starters can burn out by cranking too long, or trying to move the car with the starter.

It takes a little while to burn up the starter with just cranking. The usual spec is something like 30 seconds in a 5 minute period, with no attempt longer than 10 seconds. I never bothered to learn the BMW spec because if the engine doesn't start immediately, something is wrong.

If you can crank the engine with the clutch engaged (pedal up) and in gear, the extra load will burn the starter out pretty quickly. (Does your clutch switch prevent that? Some don't.) But it would be difficult to prove that occurred.
DBecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:09 AM   #6
RayPooley

The real question he is why the car is stalling. I think that's where the focus should be.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:52 AM   #7
DBecker

Quote:
The real question he is why the car is stalling. I think that's where the focus should be.
If the car can be push started, it's a manual transmission.

The valet didn't know how to drive a manual transmission car.

Last edited by DBecker; 08-14-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #8
LL i am

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBecker View Post

beat me to it.
"The valet guy mentioned how my car was hard to drive. Coincidence?"
LL i am is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:56 AM   #9
RayPooley

Quote:

That's stretching it. You think a guy who valets cars for a living has never come across a manual shift before.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #10
Panzertank831

My Ride: 2002 325xi Sedan
is the starter running or its just dead? sounds like a coincidence to me..

couple weeks ago I accidentally stalled while backing up a hill.. immediately after the car wouldn't start but would turn over, and sounded like a bad valve or compression loss. After 10 furious minutes of trying to start, it decided it wanted to work, and purred as smooth as silk, with no engine codes.. Im still baffled and likely it was a sensor or a computer fault that wouldn't allow the engine to fire... beats me.. runs good now..

anyways, sounds like your starter went..
Panzertank831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #11
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzertank831 View Post
is the starter running or its just dead? sounds like a coincidence to me..

couple weeks ago I accidentally stalled while backing up a hill.. immediately after the car wouldn't start but would turn over, and sounded like a bad valve or compression loss. After 10 furious minutes of trying to start, it decided it wanted to work, and purred as smooth as silk, with no engine codes.. Im still baffled and likely it was a sensor or a computer fault that wouldn't allow the engine to fire... beats me.. runs good now..

anyways, sounds like your starter went..
Sounds like you need to replace your CCV.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #12
Panzertank831

My Ride: 2002 325xi Sedan
Quote:
Sounds like you need to replace your CCV.
i have a M56 cover which eliminates the ccv... how do you think the two are related?? Im thinking it was more a sensor fault like timing position sensor or ECU was sending false signals. hasn't happened since or on any other e46 i've owned or worked on. very strange.
Panzertank831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #13
DBecker

Quote:
That's stretching it. You think a guy who valets cars for a living has never come across a manual shift before.
Being a parking valet isn't a career choice. It's often just a summer job, and thus doesn't attract experienced drivers.

The vast majority of cars have an automatic transmission, and that percentage is likely even higher for cars driven to a place with valet parking. A third pedal might be almost as rare as a hand crank to start the engine.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #14
Sapote

My Ride: 2000 323i auto wagon
Quote:
Hey guys 2 nights ago I got my car back from a parking garage and she wouldn't start unless I pushed started it.
Say it again? Does the starter work or not?

Saying "she wouldn't start" could mean many things: starter cranked and turned engine but engine not fired up and run; or starter couldn't turn the engine.

If started doesn't turn the crank pulley then you need to check the 3 cables connected to starter:

big black cable should be 12V un-switched
small black wire should have 12V when key turned to START position.
small black/yellow wire should be ground with key off, and has 12V when starter motor is energized by the solenoid when key turned to START
Sapote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #15
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapote View Post

Saying "she wouldn't start" could mean many things: starter cranked and turned engine but engine not fired up and run; or starter couldn't turn the engine.

If started doesn't turn the crank pulley then you need to check the 3 cables connected to starter:

small black/yellow wire should be ground with key off, and has 12V when starter motor is energized by the solenoid when key turned to START
He said it would start if he pushed it so I'd assume the starter isn't turning the engine over. Starters on these cars usually fail with no warning, I speak from experience, both of my cars quit with no warning.

Bad outer xi ball joint?

2003 325xi auto Stahlgrau

1998 328is 5sp
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #16
Alex323Ci
OE ///MEMBER PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
He said it would start if he pushed it so I'd assume the starter isn't turning the engine over.
Starters on these cars usually fail with no warning, I speak from experience, both of my cars quit with no warning.
guess it depends on which issue one's starter has. on mine i was certainly given intermittent starting issues or warning signs.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:31 AM   #17
darkfires102

My Ride: 325xi, '07 E60 M5
Year: 2003
Transmission: 5spd Manual
I'm just gonna call it coincidence. If he did stall it a bunch, it shouldn't kill the starter. Most likely the starter happened to die right after. Unless he's starting the car, immediately stalling it, then restarting it like 10 times in a row there's no way the starter got cooked from him. OP please explain more than "the starter doesnt work and I can bump start it", does the solenoid still click? Does it even crank at all?
darkfires102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:35 AM   #18
Dogthebountyhunter

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapote View Post
Quote:
Hey guys 2 nights ago I got my car back from a parking garage and she wouldn't start unless I pushed started it.

It wasn't exactly a professional valet. More like a parking garage worker who moves the cars to different spaces. I am not trying to get money or anything from them, I don't really care. Just thought it was possibly his fault since I've never had a single start issue.

Also yes it is definitely the starter. I changed it with another and it's fine again.