Are wheel spacers bad? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
miatard

My Ride: Chicken
Are wheel spacers bad?

Some people say spacers are a bad mod because they alter the suspension geometry. Don't wheel spacers simply lower the effective offset of the wheel?

So let's say you have a base model variant of a car with +40mm offset wheels. Let's say there's also an OEM sports package for this car that replaces those with +30mm offset wheels, all other dimensions being the same.

Isn't this just the same thing as adding a +10mm spacer? so y so bad?
miatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
HayWagon

My Ride: 03 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatard View Post
so y so bad?
It's not.

Quality spacers are fine.
HayWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:08 AM   #3
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Some people say spacers are a bad mod because they alter the suspension geometry. Don't wheel spacers simply lower the effective offset of the wheel?

So let's say you have a base model variant of a car with +40mm offset wheels. Let's say there's also an OEM sports package for this car that replaces those with +30mm offset wheels, all other dimensions being the same.

Depends on your camber.
RayPooley is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2019, 07:46 PM   #4
Nicker

My Ride: 323ci
I've heard that since it moves your wheels further out, it puts more lateral stress on the wheel bearings, wearing them out faster over time.

00' 323ci - 170hp
Nicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #5
miatard

My Ride: Chicken
but dass wat im sayin ain't no diff between dat & lower offset ramz
miatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:56 AM   #6
HayWagon

My Ride: 03 325iT
Quote:
but dass wat im sayin ain't no diff between dat & lower offset ramz
Exactly.

As far as the car is concerned you're running wider or more offset wheels.
As long as they are good quality, and you aren't going to tear up your fender or rub, they are fine. Hell, OZ even makes TUV certified spacers.

I'll end up running 30mm, or possibly have some slightly larger ones custom made for my build.
HayWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:22 PM   #7
doukas007

My Ride: e46 facelift coupe
there may not be difference between altering offset with spacers compared to wheels with different offset but altering offset either way can cause harm.For instance more bending torque is applied through wheel bearings , which may cause premature wear.another effect is that tire scrub radius is changed , which alters steering feel , makes the steering more heavy.Changing scrub radius and track width also affects other things like camber gaining/losing through suspension movement . but for the most part , if you stay on reasonable numbers , say 10 mm you will be alright , at 30 mm certainly there will be a difference
doukas007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #8
SloopJohnB

My Ride: 03 M3 cabrio
What he say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doukas007 View Post
there may not be difference between altering offset with spacers compared to wheels with different offset but altering offset either way can cause harm.For instance more bending torque is applied through wheel bearings , which may cause premature wear.another effect is that tire scrub radius is changed , which alters steering feel , makes the steering more heavy.Changing scrub radius and track width also affects other things like camber gaining/losing through suspension movement . but for the most part , if you stay on reasonable numbers , say 10 mm you will be alright , at 30 mm certainly there will be a difference
It does alter geometry. The comparison with stock/OEM wheels is false.
SloopJohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:39 PM   #9
gmtmaster

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Quote:

Did they come from the factory that way? There is a reason... How old are you again?
gmtmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:04 PM   #10
JustJohn

Your original post summary is spot on other than some alignment or component specs you can check for yourself between model variants. ~10mm and thinner spacers won't cause you any harm IF you have sufficient lug bolt threads to cover the difference. Beyond that you should really be looking at hub-centric adapters which bolt to your hub and in turn have their own bolts to accommodate a wheel. Jeeps with 42" + tires run them all the time, over boulders, without issue.
I've got 1000's of road miles plus drag strip passes on 3" and 4" wheel adapters to get C6 Corvette wheels on my 69 Impala.
Done *properly* it's a non-issue.
JustJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:17 AM   #11
doukas007

My Ride: e46 facelift coupe
Hub centric adapters are always preferred but still alter steering and suspension geometry ,most times for worse

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
doukas007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:15 AM   #12
TobyB

My Ride: 2004xit, 2001ci
Entirely depends on the offset of the wheel you choose.

If you're starting at et60 on an 8" rim, 30mm of spacer isn't extreme.

If you're trying to use et0 e39 rimz, 1mm of spacer is already way too much.

t
keeping it centered
TobyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #13
Alex323Ci
OE ///MEMBER PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
when used on a stock wheel-tire set-up to "mod" for looks it's hard on the car.

when used to bring a different spec wheel/tire to stock settings it's ok. not ideal.

and wheel tire spacers that aren't quality hubcentric are just plain bad for other reasons.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote