Missing pictures for older threads. - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2019, 03:27 AM   #1
Cibby600

My Ride: 2001 E46 325I Sedan
Missing pictures for older threads.

Hi all,

New to the site as I recently bought a 2001 325i.
I love this site and the wealth of information is helping me immensely.
One thing I was wondering, a lot of the DIY and tutorials etc. have lots of missing pictures because they are getting on a bit now. Although coupled with instructions, pictures help 1000 times more.
Is there any way we can renew these pictures, or are we solely reliant on the OP's pic hosting site?
I fear there is no solution to this other than someone re-doing the DIY / Tutorial and taking new pictures.
Anyways, great site / forums, hope there is some sort of fix on the horizon.
Cheers, Cibby.
Cibby600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:26 AM   #2
Solidjake
Shifting

My Ride: 2013 328i 6MT
If the sites that the OP's hosted their photos to are no longer there then there is no way to get the pics back. If the pics were uploaded to the forum they "should' be showing.

Which DIY's are you looking at specifically.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:22 AM   #3
Cibby600

A lot of the older ones.
Common oil leaks.
Sunroof.
The usual suspects for first time E46 owners. Looks like there threads are quite old.
Not to worry, the descriptions help a lot so all good.
Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 06:50 AM   #4
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibby600 View Post
Hi all,

New to the site as I recently bought a 2001 325i.
I love this site and the wealth of information is helping me immensely.
One thing I was wondering, a lot of the DIY and tutorials etc. have lots of missing pictures because they are getting on a bit now. Although coupled with instructions, pictures help 1000 times more.
Is there any way we can renew these pictures, or are we solely reliant on the OP's pic hosting site?
I fear there is no solution to this other than someone re-doing the DIY / Tutorial and taking new pictures.
Anyways, great site / forums, hope there is some sort of fix on the horizon.
Cheers, Cibby.
There is a space limit on the amount of images members can upload. If you hit that limit you have to delete images in order to upload more. What yo could do is personal message the author of the comment that you are interested in and ask them if they still have the image.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:12 AM   #5
Cibby600

Cool. Thanks. Will give that a try!
Old 08-25-2019, 01:59 PM   #6
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Year: 2003
Model: 325xi
Transmission: Steptronic
They were probably hosted with Photobucket and a few years back they decided they wanted to be paid for hosting pics so a lot of pics went away.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bad outer xi ball joint? https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1127077

2003 325xi auto Stahlgrau

1998328is 5sp
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
wfx32

My Ride: AWD
Model: 330XI 08/2004
Transmission: auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
They were probably hosted with Photobucket and a few years back they decided they wanted to be paid for hosting pics so a lot of pics went away.
yes this seems to be a problem with several old threads. the next time i run across examples i will post here. the IMG references are blanked and so the DIY becomes 50% less useful. the same thing may happen with google and dropbox links which folks are using right now. maybe there is a way to repair using internet archive (wayback machine).
wfx32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM   #8
wfx32

My Ride: AWD
Model: 330XI 08/2004
Transmission: auto
Missing pictures for older threads.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=884299
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
here's the old thread on the engine fan where the photobucket images have been downgraded. i can't decide if that's better or worse than removing the images completely.

my suggestion is to use google drive to host your images. it's a bit of a faff but get a shareable link from your .JPG file in google drive, then copy the ID number (including dashes and underscores) into a block like this:

Code:
[URL ="https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1hrCqGYm9DUkF2wHKhAJKObpKRYdk6Oua"]
[IMG]https: //drive.google.com/thumbnail?id=1hrCqGYm9DUkF2wHKhAJKObpKRYdk6Oua[/IMG]
[/URL]
with this method, i don't think google will be able to pull the hosted images or downgrade the quality.

Last edited by wfx32; Yesterday at 10:15 AM. Reason: spaces to make code block easier to read
wfx32 is offline   Reply With Quote