From a 320Ci to a 330Ci: Maintenance, upgrades and progress - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
bendoscopy

My Ride: 330Ci M + 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
From a 320Ci to a 330Ci: Maintenance, upgrades and progress

Hello. New car, new thread.

My 320Ci (6-cylinder M54, which is a 2.2)

About 2.5 years ago, I bought a 320Ci and spent many months maintaining it and adding tasteful upgrades as I went. My goal was to be meticulous and to keep it as close to stock as possible, with a few modern additions invisible to the naked eye. This is all heavily documented in my older E46F thread. Recently, I found myself looking for something new with more excitement and power; a Z4, an E92, and various other ideas. When it came to the crunch, I couldn't bring myself to leave the E46 platform. I didn't want to throw away all that M54 knowledge, and realised I was more attached to the E46 than I'd let myself believe.

So I started to look for a good 330Ci.

As luck would have it, I found another topaz blue car fairly local to me. The previous owner hadn't had it for long, and was looking for a quick sale. Long story short, within a week of seeing it, I bought it for 1,800. Pre-facelift, 110k miles, manual, Sport, M kit, MV1 alloys, no sunroof, Powerflow cat-back exhaust (great sound, not too obnoxious), grey interior and power seats.

Having put a lot of love, care and attention into my 320Ci, and due to the fact that my 320Ci had some extra options from factory, my plan was to move some parts over to the 330Ci. This included tail lights and bi-xenons, head unit, speakers, CD changer delete, non-smokers pack, etc.

I've also been toying with the idea of an interior swap. The black and grey 330Ci interior is a much 'darker place' than my beige 320Ci (with sunroof). I would be swapping carpets, seats, door panels, and pillars. There are no beige headliners to be found without the sunroof cutout, so I'd retain the black head liner. Seems I'm one of the few who prefer the beige interior, but I'm willing to put in the work to move this over.

Hell on earth

Fresh new badge

Back to black

Things have been going 'okay' so far. Putting the bi-xenon assembly into the 330Ci was indeed plug and play. Getting the old halogens out was an entirely different story. Rusted torx bolts and a hell of a lot of yanking, pulling and breaking. Safe to say, the halogens aren't reusable. Tail lights went in fine as expected. I do have rapid blinking on all indicators, which is frustrating. It's the very same setup as in my 320Ci, so I'm unsure why thew new car has a problem here. I do have a 4.0 LCM on the way via Ebay (to enable triple-blink) and I wonder if this will help.

Just no

The car came with the air box completely removed and a cheap cone filter attached directly to the boot. I did find the MAF sensor in the back of the car, but the car won't start with it attached. Even after cleaning it, nothing. Car starts fine with my smaller 320 MAF attached, so I went ahead and ordered a genuine/used MAF for the 330.

Other issues that will need attention in the coming weeks:
  • Windscreen is badly cracked. Luckily that's inexpensive and covered by a small insurance excess
  • Knocking from rear suspension. Will get this seen to ASAP. It's passed its MOT recently so perhaps it's diff mounts
  • Car feels skittish on long turns. Feels like tracking could be out
  • Front arches are showing very early signs of rust on both sides. I could swap over my 320 arches which are in good shape
  • Oil consumption seems okay. Monitoring it closely. I have a catch can on the 320 that I could swap in
  • Driver's window is completely dead. Is this the motor or the regulator? I'm presuming the motor?

Right now, I'm really happy with the 'upgrade'. The extra power is very, very welcome. I always held off on doing any major work to my 320. With the 330 and its extra power (and better looks), I'm keen to go a little further with this one.

As for the old 320Ci, it could do with some TLC before I pass it on. Obviously, its spec will be all over the place once I've swapped parts in and out. But in the final months of driving it, I was suffering misfires, poor clutch and a warped disc. So either way, it's going to need some work to make suitable for sale.

Will try to keep this thread updated the best I can. Any advice on dead windows would be most welcome. I'd rather avoid replacing the regulator if it's just the motor.

Thanks. Here's to another E46 getting the VIP treatment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport 2001 topasblau/grau 110k miles
BMW E46 320Ci Sport 2002 topasblau/hellbeige 125k miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
| drive tastefully

Last edited by bendoscopy; 10-29-2019 at 11:35 AM.
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
bendoscopy

Quick update. Ebay MAF for 50. Tested and working. Fixed my MAF issue.

Also, first wash.

|
|
| drive tastefully

Last edited by bendoscopy; 10-29-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
bendoscopy

Quote:
I do have rapid blinking on all indicators, which is frustrating. It's the very same setup as in my 320Ci, so I'm unsure why thew new car has a problem here.
Pretty surprised but this actually worked. I just put the SW 3.6 LCM into the car and the rapid blinking stopped immediately. Upgraded from a SW 2.0 module.

So if you have the rapid blinking issue, you've chased all your ground points and have resistors where necessary, change up your LCM. A pretty inexpensive and simple fix (once you've coded out the tamper dot).

|
|
| drive tastefully
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
bendoscopy

Good evening, y'all.

Some updates! I haven't done that much in the last month or so, but I have been driving the car A LOT. And it's been great.

Re-glued all of my sagging trim from both the 320 and 330. Black is a lot more forgiving, so the 330 looks great now. Beige is grubby in places.

I made a final decision on the interior. I decided against swapping the hellbeige into my 330. I enjoyed the beige in the 320, but I think that's where it belongs. There are some unique features of the 330Ci M-Sport, like the black headliner and pillar fabrics, and I wouldn't want to lose that. So with that... I started at moving over my final bits from the 320.

The cabin is starting to feel more like home already.

Had great fun pulling out an integrated Parrot bluetooth system. Do you guys have those in the US? It was spliced into numerous wires and seemed to be everywhere I looked within the dash. I've cut most of it out now. Still running stock speakers, but will switch in my other ones one day soon.

Had some awful clunking from the rear nearside corner. I was certain it was the shock, and I wasn't wrong. Here's a comparison of old VS new. How does that even happen? New shocks are from my 320 and are only about 4 months old. Very easy swap.

Now for the bad stuff... I got stuck on a curb a few days ago. This is with stock suspension. When I reverse back from the curb, I pulled the bumper out of the clips. I put it back together the best I could but it's not perfect. That edge that you see sticking out was like that when I purchased the car, so this is a good opportunity to fix it for good. It's too stiff to push it back by hand, so I feel I'll need to remove the whole bumper and realign.

And then this happened with my 320. We had so much rain lately and water seems to be getting in behind a tail light. It collected in the bottom of the trunk. See that orange spot? That's a drain plug which you can smash out with some force. It didn't take long to drain and dry out. I've since replaced the tail lights and foam gaskets and all is good.

Ultimately I will sell the 320 once it's ready. But for now I am concentrating on getting the 330 in good shape. Things that still need attention:

- Gear stick 'spring detent' issue (needs transmission dropping)
- Dashcam hardwire (I'm an "add a fuse" kinda guy)
- Definitely getting those wheels refurbished
- Switching fog lights to the LEDs from my 320 (they're good)
- Going to start replacing all rear suspension parts
- Oil, plugs, filters etc. Previous owner says it was 8 months ago
- New fuel pump, fuel filter and the filter attachment lines/clamps
- Refit my LCM. I've just sent off my 4.1 LCM for the triple blink upgrade

Loving this car on a whole different level. The power and the sound is just wonderful.

|
|
| drive tastefully

Last edited by bendoscopy; 10-30-2019 at 03:44 PM.