INPA and resetting adaptions + Bad fuel economy! - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2019, 01:33 AM   #1
Cibby600

My Ride: 2001 E46 325I Sedan
INPA and resetting adaptions + Bad fuel economy!

Hi All,

I recently did a LOT of work on my car.
I changed / repaired the following:

Rebuilt VANOS
Replaced entire CCV system
Replaced intake boots and DISA valve
Replaced intake manifold gasket
Replaced all perished and cracked vacuum lines and hoses
Replaced throttle body gasket
Replaced VCG and dipstick O rings
Replaced coolant temp sensor and cam position sensor (Ex)
Replaced injector O rings and filter screens
Cleaned MAF, TB and IAC
Replaced OFH Gasket
Replaced water pump
Replaced all drive belts and tensioners

I did some other work, but unrelated, removed mechanical fan etc.

So car runs great except for a purge valve error. No big drama, I'll get there eventually.

So I recently installed INPA and went to reset my adaptions as the car has been running in a neglected state for a LONG time and has just had a heap of repairs done.

Car was idling and I was mashing keys and clearing adaptions.
Now I really should have read exactly what each adaption does as I got to F4 or F6, can't remember exactly, but RPM rose to about 1300 and throttle did nothing. Car bogged and wouldn't accelerate.

I quickly turned the car off and then tried to restart it. It started ok, idled ok, so I went for a drive.
Car drives OK. MAYBE a little down on power, but could be my paranoia!! lol

QUESTIONS:

Could I have done any damage resetting adaptions with car running??????

Car is also still using a lot of fuel.
I think the thermostat is stuck open as it takes a long time to warm up. Runs at 187 degrees farenheit when hot.
Will fuel consumption possibly settle after resetting adaptions, or more related to soft failing thermostat. Getting around 14 - 15MPG

Car is a 2001 325i Auto Sedan with 200K KMS

Sorry in advance for my ramblings! lol

Cheers.
Cibby600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:43 AM   #2
darkfires102

My Ride: 325xi, '07 E60 M5
Year: 2003
Transmission: 5spd Manual
Shouldve reset with the car on power on mode only, not engine running, huge mistake. MPG will come back later after adaptation occurs again. Damage done? unlikely if the car is running fine now. Soft thermostat will hurt mpg since the car will be dumping fuel in to try and heat up quicker
darkfires102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:56 AM   #3
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
+1 ^

Soft failing tstat will hurt fuel economy. Hopefully that 14 to 15 mpg is city driving, not highway. Operating temp is around 96C, btw.

While you are in there, it's a good idea to replace the expansion tank (if that hasnt been done recently) since that is a major weakness of the cooling system. With an auto, you also will need to change the atf thermostat that is at bottom of ET as it often breaks when the ET is removed.

You may also want to look around the transmission for signs of leaking ATF, including at the selector shaft where it goes into side of transmission. Low atf levels can cause sluggishness and probably a loss of fuel economy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019, 03:34 AM   #4
Cibby600

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverThis View Post
+1 ^

Soft failing tstat will hurt fuel economy. Hopefully that 14 to 15 mpg is city driving, not highway. Operating temp is around 96C, btw.

While you are in there, it's a good idea to replace the expansion tank (if that hasnt been done recently) since that is a major weakness of the cooling system. With an auto, you also will need to change the atf thermostat that is at bottom of ET as it often breaks when the ET is removed.

You may also want to look around the transmission for signs of leaking ATF, including at the selector shaft where it goes into side of transmission. Low atf levels can cause sluggishness and probably a loss of fuel economy.
Auto is reasonably leak free. Will be doing a full fluid and filter change in the near future so will double check it.
Think I'll just do thermostat for now and hope I don't break anything when swapping it out. Will check fuel economy then refressh cooling system later.
Yes city driving BTW.

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:48 AM   #5
Anticdubai

14 mpg is still too much unless you rev to red zone from every traffic light. Iíd recommend to get a close look at MAF. The way it affects driving is hugely underestimated usually and paid attention only when your instrument panel lights like a Xmas tree. cleaning usually doesnít do much unless it really was covered with dust, and even using proper MAF cleaner doesnít guarantee safe result. It could still work but not right. It wonít show any codes, but if you swap it with new one youíll see noticeable difference.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Anticdubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #6
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticdubai View Post
14 mpg is still too much unless you rev to red zone from every traffic light. I'd recommend to get a close look at MAF. The way it affects driving is hugely underestimated usually and paid attention only when your instrument panel lights like a Xmas tree. cleaning usually doesn't do much unless it really was covered with dust, and even using proper MAF cleaner doesn't guarantee safe result. It could still work but not right. It won't show any codes, but if you swap it with new one you'll see noticeable difference.
The MAF can and will trip trouble codes if it falls too far out of range or if there's a problem with the circuit.

I would not blindly replace the MAF, or any other part for that matter. Check its performance first. The MAF at warm idle with accessories off should be between 3.6-4.2 g/s. MAF should be genuine BMW or Siemens/VDO brand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 11-09-2019 at 12:17 PM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:50 PM   #7
Cibby600

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
The MAF can and will trip trouble codes if it falls too far out of range or if there's a problem with the circuit.

I would not blindly replace the MAF, or any other part for that matter. Check its performance first. The MAF at warm idle with accessories off should be between 3.6-4.2 g/s. MAF should be genuine BMW or Siemens/VDO brand.
Here is a screenshot at idle before deleting adaptions. Pretty sure it's the original MAF.
I will check again tomorrow as I went for a 60KM drive today. Getting almost 17MPG after todays city drive.
Will check further tomorrow.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Analogue.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	787581  

Last edited by Cibby600; 11-08-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:33 AM   #8
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibby600 View Post
Here is a screenshot at idle before deleting adaptions. Pretty sure it's the original MAF.
I will check again tomorrow as I went for a 60KM drive today. Getting almost 17MPG after todays city drive.
Will check further tomorrow.

Cheers.
Your MAF value of 12.5 kg/hr converts to 3.47 g/s, which is fine.

Post the L-probe and A-reg screens as those show the O2 sensors and fuel trims.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 11-09-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:57 AM   #9
Cibby600

No probs. Will do it tomorrow. I am guessing it is just down to the EVAP purge solenoid and 200K on the motor.
Cheers.
Bloody valve cover gasket is leaking again. Replaced it a month ago. Oh well, time to rip it out and RTV it! LOL

Last edited by Cibby600; 11-09-2019 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #10
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

Regarding clearing adaptations, I have seen a few cases where clearing all DME adaptations using INPA significantly improved engine running. Cannot tell you exactly why. In the course of doing over 300 free DME and EGS updates over the years I have seen it more than once.
I've never seen a case where clearing adaptations hurt anything. Make sure the engine is off while clearing.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:19 PM   #11
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibby600 View Post
Bloody valve cover gasket is leaking again. Replaced it a month ago. Oh well, time to rip it out and RTV it! LOL
Itís pretty common to get hairline cracks on these old plastic valve covers, so check for that. May be the source of your leak if the gasket is fairly new. Iíve patched them with JBWeld.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #12
Cibby600

Will double check the valve cover for cracks as I didn't when it was off last time.
Engine seems to be running a little better after resetting adaptions. Not much, but a little.
Perhaps after "relearning" for a while it will run a little better again.
Yeah, I should have read up on resetting adaptions as my motor was running when I did it. Doesn't seem to have hurt it, but lesson learned!
Thanks everyone. Will post screenshots of O2 sensors and Fuel Trims later today!
Old 11-10-2019, 03:58 AM   #13
Cibby600

Well, everything looks ok. Could be a little better, but motor has 200K KMs!
I think long term fuel trims are either perfect, lol, or perhaps not reading yet as I reset adaptions 70KMs ago.
I am posting VANOS as I have nothing to compare it to. Does it look ok???
If anything doesn't look right, please let me know.

P.S. My car does not have post cat O2 sensors.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel trims 1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	787707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel trims 2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	787709   Click image for larger version

Name:	O2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	787711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vanos.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	787713  

Old 11-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #14
TR4G-

My Ride: E36/8 3.0i, E46 ZHP
Long term fuel trims will correct themselves after just a few miles on their own. Thatís what they do.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics

TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:01 PM   #15
Cibby600

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
Long term fuel trims will correct themselves after just a few miles on their own. Thatís what they do.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics
Old Today, 02:20 AM   #16
Cibby600

So just an update.
I replaced the thermostat that was stuck open, and reset all DTC's and Adaptions. WITHOUT THE ENGINE RUNNING this time! lol
Everything looks good, car drives great and fuel economy is down to about 20MPG with mainly city driving.
Running temps are now around the 200 Degrees F. So Win Win!
Still have an EVAP purge valve that has a dead short, so might get better economy again when I get around to replacing that!
Thanks again for all your help and advice people!

Cheers.
Old Today, 12:51 PM   #17
NAVIRA

NAVIRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:55 PM   #18
Cibby600

I did think about it, but time and money dictated the repairs, as I needed the car back on the road and had bills to pay! LOL