2005 325XI with P0171, P0174 and P0313 codes - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #1
Eulas

2005 325XI with P0171, P0174 and P0313 codes

Hello guys,
I got these 3 codes on my OBD scanner with a car who doesn't start.
P0313 Misfire Detected With Low Fuel(I had low fuel at the time of the test)
P0171 System Too Lean - Bank 1
P0174 System Too Lean - Bank 2

All start-up with the broken fuel pump, which I changed (with a cheap one, after all is a 2005 325XI with 280K km). After the replacement I used the car for about a week and then the engine didn't want to start. I replaced the fuel filter, I did a fuel pressure test which was ok (around 55PSI) I did a clean-up on the idle regulating valve (which was stuck), repaired the air rubber hose going to feed the idle regulating valve, I checked the fuse for the engine start and I fully charged the battery, but the engine doesn't want to start. When I turn the key is sound like is going to start, but it doesn't.
Any recommendations????
Eulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:11 PM   #2
alcarazdiego10

My Ride: 2003 325i m56
Try disconnecting the MAF sensor. Next i would check DISA valve. Does it give any other codes? If yiu can get your hands on a good scanner would be nice. Some bmw codes dont show up on regular scanner. And dont throw the check engine light on. The one in picture bmw code that doesnt come in a regular scanner

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited by alcarazdiego10; 12-02-2019 at 09:17 PM.
alcarazdiego10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
Eulas

Hello Diego,
I unplugged the MAF sensor and the car has the same behavior as before. Is there way to verify that sensor with a multimeter? When I cleaned the idle regulating valve I also checked the DISA valve which was OK, maybe the o-ring should be changed, but right now I don't have it. The OBD machine I have is an INNOVA 3100 and after I erased the codes with it, it doesn't show me any other codes despite the fact that the check engine light is on. I heard someone said that if the motor doesn't run for about 5-10 minutes I couldn't get any other codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
alcarazdiego10

How many miles on your car? I had that issue with an e36 replace fuel pump, replace cam and crankshaft sensor, and it crank and no start. Turn out to be the DME(pcm). On my e46 had an issue it didnt want to start as well check everything i pull the top o2 sensors turn out my cats where clog. But give The50kids on youtube a try. He has a good video on no start. But its long because he covers starter wires and all that boring stuff.

Last edited by alcarazdiego10; 12-03-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
alcarazdiego10

Try this one https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Old 12-03-2019, 12:14 PM   #6
Archbid

My Ride: 330ci Convertible
Year: 03
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Have you tested the fuel pressure? Get a tester and test pressure at the Schrader valve at the fuel rail with the engine off and the key at position 2. It should read 50psi. Then remove key, wait 30 minutes and test again. It should still read 50psi.

If it doesn't read 50 with the key in the pump is bunk. After 30 minutes the fuel filter is shot.

If your fuel filter is older than 60k miles, then it should be replaced as a maintenance item like plugs or oil filter.

And folks here recommend VDO Siemens pump because aftermarket have demonstrated failure, not out of some Teutonic loyalty or desire to blow money!

Next step is read your short and long term fuel trims at idle and cruising speed.

Unplugging the MAF is not a serious diagnostic approach, though the results do suggest that you have a fuel pressure problem.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:20 AM   #7
Eulas

Hello guys,
I did a check-up of all the fuses on the passenger side (all was ok) and then after the third crank my BMW started. At the beginning the smoke had a weird smell, but after 5 minutes all was ok. I have no check engine and I feel the motor more powerful than before. I un-plugged the MAF sensor and I sense a very slight modification, but i'm not sure is the motor who did that or id the sensor. Next weekend I will do the MAF sensor (I found a video on youtube on how to test it) and I will keep you posted.
Ty to all.