01 325i issues. Stumped Door locks, electrical issues, radio, window etc. It's a mess - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #1
Aaron.325

01 325i issues. Stumped Door locks, electrical issues, radio, window etc. It's a mess

I have a 2001 325i with 118k.
Here are my issues. I will try to describe them in the best detail I can after listing them.
- Driver side window
-driver side door lock won't unlock
- leak possibly from sunroof causing
- electrical disaster. ( Worst problem)
-Radio. (Cuts off randomly) still has power.
-rear end clunk from shifting in lower gears ( ok this could be the worst if it is what I think it is.)
-window switch broken or button cover. Button cap moves freely without resistance( and yes this happened cuz I was pissed trying to get my window up one day. )

So I'll start with the WINDOW. It happened one day where I was trying to roll it up and it wouldn't go but it was making noise. So I took the door panel off and discover that the regulator thing was disconnected from the gear that drove it up. I zip tied them together and it worked for about 2 months. Now it is completely trashed and I'm not sure what to replace. Pretty sure the plastic gear broke on the inside that the little module thing goes into. It's like it was being held from factory by little plastic dowels that had failed.Not sure what I should replace. Will attach some photos. Next the WINDOW SWITCH BUTTON. So I pulled up so hard on it something broke now it just goes up and down with no resistance. ( On the button cover that is.) Not sure if it's the cap or switch. I guess I will inspect it myself if no one could possibly know.
- next my DOOR LOCKS. So this one is tricky. The guy that sold it to me said he replaced the actuator and got it to work temporarily but when I got it it wouldn't unlock the driver door at all. I searched around and found some program method using the key and ignition and got the rest of the doors to lock and unlock. Problem is when I unlock the driver door stays locked. I go through the back and pull the handle to open but it's seriously screwed up. It's like the little latch or something gets in a bind. I think the guy ****ed up installing it. When I pull the handle on the inside when it's locked sometimes it opens just fine. Other times I have to **** with the key lock and unlock buttons as I'm pulling the handle furiously. Did he **** up the actuator by not programming? Is it trash? Is it the general module? Not sure. So this leads me to my next problem. Probably one of the worst. The ELECTRICAL DISASTER.. so when it rains the **** goes haywire. Blinkers don't blink on the dash but the do externally. The radio reads DISABLED. And the sunroof won't do anything. Sometimes the AC goes out with it. Although it could be unrelated. Though I'm thinking it is because right before summer my account was having problems where it would just completely stop blowing. Tested blower motor and it was fine. But then I went all summer with no access problems except when it would rain really hard it might cut off for a moment then restarting my car or disconnecting my battery for a minute would usually bring it back. So I'm thinking this could be caused by my leak. Which I'm guessing is something to do with the sunroof drain tubes. I guess I'm looking for answers or advice on what I should do. Should I start there at the leak before doing anything else? And what the hell is wrong with the door locks? Should I just replace the actuator first and see what happens? I know this is a tricky thing but I'll just do that and the regulator at the same time.and the rear clunk, should I inspect any other parts before assuming it is the notorious subframe issue? Like the diff mounts or whatever they are. I'm pretty rusty on all this car stuff and this car is doing my head in. Should I resell? Lol
Aaron.325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
NZ00Z3

My Ride: 2000 323i
Hi Aaron

1) Replace the window regulator
2) Replace the switch button
3) Watch the youtube videos on taking the door locks out, then inspect the door locks and actuator to make sure they are installed correctly.
4) Clean out the sun roof drains with a thin flexible wire or something similar.
5) Inspect the fuse box and general module for sign of water ingress. Clean them as needed
6) Get the car up in the air safely and inspect the rear suspension and mounting points. Eliminate the subframe issue, then look to worn bushings etc
NZ00Z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #3
Archbid

My Ride: 330ci Convertible
Year: 03
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ00Z3 View Post
Hi Aaron

1) Replace the window regulator
2) Replace the switch button
3) Watch the youtube videos on taking the door locks out, then inspect the door locks and actuator to make sure they are installed correctly.
4) Clean out the sun roof drains with a thin flexible wire or something similar.
5) Inspect the fuse box and general module for sign of water ingress. Clean them as needed
6) Get the car up in the air safely and inspect the rear suspension and mounting points. Eliminate the subframe issue, then look to worn bushings etc
And take a breath. All of this is fixable. When you get upset, posts get hard to read!
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote