ET replacement-Leftover part - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 10:17 PM   #1
equium

ET replacement-Leftover part

I did my first ET replacement last week. The old ET was difficult to remove and I ended up using a small jack to push it up and off. There was a plastic ring on the retainer portion of the assembly. Possibly a compression ring? I don't know.
What I do know is that the new ET would not go on with the ring installed. Once I removed this plastic ring, the ET popped in to place just like all the 30+ videos I've watched on the subject.
After completing the fill and bleed procedure, I had no leaks. I have been checking the fluid level daily for the last 7 days, and there has not been any fluid loss. Temp gauge rock-solid in the middle.
I have attached pics of the ring. I'm hoping someone will have some insight as to what this was. Perhaps it came off the old ET?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191202_184155.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	789423   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191202_184206.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	789425   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191202_184220.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	789427  
equium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
66intheSky
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2000
Model: 328i ZSP
Transmission: Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by equium View Post
Perhaps it came off the old ET?
Looks like it....brittle plastic + force from the bottom to get the old one out.
66intheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
I did my first ET replacement last week. The old ET was difficult to remove and I ended up using a small jack to push it up and off. There was a plastic ring on the retainer portion of the assembly. Possibly a compression ring? I don't know.
What I do know is that the new ET would not go on with the ring installed. Once I removed this plastic ring, the ET popped in to place just like all the 30+ videos I've watched on the subject.
After completing the fill and bleed procedure, I had no leaks. I have been checking the fluid level daily for the last 7 days, and there has not been any fluid loss. Temp gauge rock-solid in the middle.
I have attached pics of the ring. I'm hoping someone will have some insight as to what this was. Perhaps it came off the old ET?
All coolant system seals are o rings. The ET has two at the bottom. The upper hose has three. The mounting plate has one. Those are the only parts involved in an ET job. So that seal is not part of the cooling system. It may have fallen down there during a previous uncoolant related job although I can't think of anything else that uses a seal like that.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #4
Newbimer

My Ride: 2005 325i
Its the locking ring that keeps the O ring in position. All the connections have one. If it were not there when you went to push in the connector the O ring would simply slide back out of the way into the pipe. This lock ring stops that from happening and makes sure the O ring stay where its supposed to.
Newbimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:14 PM   #5
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbimer View Post
Its the locking ring that keeps the O ring in position. All the connections have one. If it were not there when you went to push in the connector the O ring would simply slide back out of the way into the pipe. This lock ring stops that from happening and makes sure the O ring stay where its supposed to.
There is no detachable "lock ring" on either the top hose or the ET.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:19 PM   #6
RayPooley

Quote:
There is a rubber seal that looks very similar to that in size and shape in the ET pressure cap. It seals the ET from atmosphere. It shouldn't be able to come off the cap without some assistance. You could check your cap I suppose. But it is more than likely an old one that someone removed from an old cap and dropped there.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:26 PM   #7
Newbimer

They all have an O ring retainer of some sort. I pulled the retainer ring out of the small bypass connection of the top rad hose and have images of that, unfortunately, there is no way to upload images onto the site. Sometimes they get loose and can drop out. I've had that happen a few times.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:07 PM   #8
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbimer View Post
unfortunately, there is no way to upload images onto the site.
You can always upload them to another site and post a link here.

How to attach an image file.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/faq.ph...b3_attachments

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 12-03-2019 at 05:12 PM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:13 PM   #9
Sapote

My Ride: 2000 323i auto wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
There is no detachable "lock ring" on either the top hose or the ET.
Every connection there is one of this thing to keep the o-ring in place, either the tank bottom of other hoses connections. Normally this thing is glued or welded to the part to form the groove for the o-ring. It is part of the manufacturing process that engineer choose to create the groove this way instead of making the mold for the groove which is more challenging. This thing may broken loose when too much force needed to pull the connection apart.

Without this thing the o-ring will be pushed out under pressurized coolant.
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:46 PM   #10
equium

Thanks for all the feedback. I wish I would have kept the old hoses to take a look at them, I threw them away already.
Seeing as how I haven't lost any coolant, and it's driven daily, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and assume that everything is OK.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:43 PM   #11
Sapote

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I wish I would have kept the old hoses to take a look at them, I threw them away already.
Seeing as how I haven't lost any coolant, and it's driven daily, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and assume that everything is OK.
Did you say you found this on the bottom radiator tray port where it connected to the tank bottom hole? I believe this thing only used on the hose and the tank has the casting groove already and does not need this thing to form the groove for the o-ring.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:19 PM   #12
Newbimer

You can view the images here:

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1lF1z...USo8t4cLbVYXHR

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1wdDH...Pcw6m1DWMsBwOo
Old 12-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #13
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
That piece looks like it broke off of something, not a separate part

Bad outer xi ball joint?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 325xi auto Stahlgrau

1998 328is 5sp
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #14
equium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapote View Post
Did you say you found this on the bottom radiator tray port where it connected to the tank bottom hole? I believe this thing only used on the hose and the tank has the casting groove already and does not need this thing to form the groove for the o-ring.
I went looking for a picture online to answer you better, and I think I found the answer.
If you look at the picture I posted just now, I believe the piece I'm talking about is right there under the O-Ring. It appears its function is to hold the O-ring in place. Since my ET took a bit of force to come out, I think this broke off in the process.
Mystery solved? what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower ET connection.png
Views:	28
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	789509  
Old 12-03-2019, 08:41 PM   #15
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
I went looking for a picture online to answer you better, and I think I found the answer.
If you look at the picture I posted just now, I believe the piece I'm talking about is right there under the O-Ring. It appears its function is to hold the O-ring in place. Since my ET took a bit of force to come out, I think this broke off in the process.
Does the ring have the damage around 70% of one side of it where it would have broke off the tank?

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 12-03-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #16
Sapote

Quote:
It's hard to tell from the pic that it is a separate part (ring) or the tank was casted with the groove. I know for sure all hoses have this ring welded or glued on to form the groove.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:44 PM   #17
Newbimer

I cracked it when I was removing it. If you tap it down slowly on one side you can get it out without breaking it. You can see the outer edge of the ring is not broken, still has the factory edge. I had a few fall out on their own last year when I did the CS repairs.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:51 PM   #18
Sapote

To avoid breaking this keeper ring thing, lube the o-ring and its mate with brake grease or synthetic grease so next time it's easier to remove the connection.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:10 AM   #19
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapote View Post
Every connection there is one of this thing to keep the o-ring in place, either the tank bottom of other hoses connections. Normally this thing is glued or welded to the part to form the groove for the o-ring. It is part of the manufacturing process that engineer choose to create the groove this way instead of making the mold for the groove which is more challenging. This thing may broken loose when too much force needed to pull the connection apart.

Without this thing the o-ring will be pushed out under pressurized coolant.
They are not locking "rings" they are silver, U shaped metal spring clips that look nothing like the picture. That's what we are discussing here isn't it? The black ring that the OP posted.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:50 AM   #20
Newbimer

The silver snap lock is to lock the fittings to each other, the plastic lock ring locks the O ring inside the housing. The housing are either cast or injected when they make them. Since the O ring sits in a grove behind the lock ring, there would be no way to get the part out of the mold if they cast the ring as part of the mold, since the grove is behind the ring. That's why they have to add the locking ring after the O ring goes in.