key programmer, uncut diamond keys - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #1
wfx32

My Ride: AWD
Model: 330XI 08/2004
Transmission: auto
key programmer, uncut diamond keys

is this the right model AK90+? where is the best source for uncut diamond keys?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32736493616.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32996803645.html

Last edited by wfx32; 01-15-2020 at 03:59 PM.
wfx32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:49 AM   #2
wfx32

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32967747176.html

i have the ews transponders already, but a new board might be good.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:00 PM   #3
wfx32

how about this ebay cutting service?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302570960327
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2020, 01:39 PM   #4
fanatichuman

My Ride: 2001 e46 330xi
The cutting service looks good, I'd do that. I had problems here finding somebody who would do it at all, and then had to go back cause he didn't do a good job.
fanatichuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:53 PM   #5
wfx32

from 8:53 .. key cutting doesnít look very difficult.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:01 PM   #6
wfx32

AK90 EWS key programmer, uncut diamond keys

found *these good diy from a few years ago.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=949007
https://e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1245921

references the same fasterautokeys.com here in VA

Last edited by wfx32; 01-14-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #7
wfx32

found this seller in taiwan with uncut virgin OEM keys.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-U...6/130594955422
Old 01-15-2020, 11:23 AM   #8
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
A lot of those aftermarket uncut key cases are crap. They donít fit together right or put too much pressure on the buttons making them super sensitive and prone to fault presses or they are too far away from the button requiring a lot of force to get a button press. Then there is the center BMW roundel issues. Iíve bought many of the uncut key cases and some include domed aluminum stamped roundels that wonít stick to the flat surface of the center button making them useless. Or they are too big and wonít fit. The original BMW roundel doesnít fit either. Most of the cases have a ridge around the center button surface that is too small for the genuine center roundel. One seller sent me a key case that the center was rubber and not hard plastic so that didnít work either. There is a guy down the street from me that I get my aftermarket cases from (he went through many sellers until he found one that sold a decent aftermarket case) and he cuts them from a picture I send him of the original key. Since there are only 6 pins and each pin has only 4 levels/heights he is able to determine the code of the key from a picture and cut a perfect key regardless of how worn out the original is. This is great for those remotes that I get in for repair where the customer cut the original remote open with a hacksaw or otherwise removed too much material to ever fit together right.

I have the cheap $130 key duplicator, but, was never able to get it to work well. Nearly every key was cut just a little bit off so it got caught when trying to turn in the lock. I measured original and copy with calipers and compared them under a microscope, but, could not dial in my cutter. The guy I now get me keys from has the same cutter/duplicator and had the same problems. He spend the big bucks (>$1000) to get the good one that you just entry in the code and it cuts it perfect. It also duplicates.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:49 PM   #9
Nolan_R

My Ride: 2005 330i
Year: 2005
Model: 330i
Transmission: Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
I have the cheap $130 key duplicator, but, was never able to get it to work well. Nearly every key was cut just a little bit off so it got caught when trying to turn in the lock.
I have the same key cutter and have had the same issues. Usually, I'm able to use some fine sandpaper to get the key to work, although I have had to trash a few. It may not be to everyone's taste, but I bought this fob and was impressed by the quality. Looks and feels nearly identical to the key of an f01 7 series.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jet Black 2004 325ci ZSP ZPP - SOLD
TiAg 2005 330i ZHP ZCW
Nolan_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:58 PM   #10
wfx32

Quote:
I have the cheap $130 key duplicator, but, was never able to get it to work well. Nearly every key was cut just a little bit off so it got caught when trying to turn in the lock. I measured original and copy with calipers and compared them under a microscope, but, could not dial in my cutter. The guy I now get me keys from has the same cutter/duplicator and had the same problems. He spend the big bucks (>$1000) to get the good one that you just entry in the code and it cuts it perfect. It also duplicates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan_R View Post
I have the same key cutter and have had the same issues. Usually, I'm able to use some fine sandpaper to get the key to work, although I have had to trash a few.
so i guess key cutting is not diy then. but it seems that any professional locksmith can do the "laser" cutting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan_R View Post
It may not be to everyone's taste, but I bought this fob and was impressed by the quality. Looks and feels nearly identical to the key of an f01 7 series.

the newer model folding keys are very pocket friendly, but i don't think i could buy one. either oem or aftermarket. because they remind me of too many bad loaners over the years. even the key for the e46 is simpler!

so going the other direction .. is there any reason not to try the previous/old rubber button key? better or worse than the diamond key?
Old 01-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #11
Jimmy_B

My Ride: 2003 330xi Dinan S1
Got my keys pre-cut off of eBay. They work perfectly. Even ran one of 'em through the washing machine and it still works
Jimmy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:11 PM   #12
wfx32

Quote:
he cuts them from a picture I send him of the original key. Since there are only 6 pins and each pin has only 4 levels/heights he is able to determine the code of the key from a picture and cut a perfect key regardless of how worn out the original is.
interesting, so the cylinder has a finite number of combinations. and the key cut is just an analog representation of a digital code. that doesn't seem very secure at all.

i was already worried after seeing the lishi tool in action. makes me wonder if the physical cylinder is more or less secure than radio transmitter. i always assumed that the radio was the weak link.
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM   #13
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
The keys only have 4096 unique cuts. Obviously not enough to have a unique cut for every E46. Hard to get much more without requiring much higher tolerances and greatly increasing the likelihood of problems from wear.

Itís easy to add bits to the digital code and they already implemented pseudo random rolling codes to both the keyless entry and EWS immobilizer systems so neither can be captured and cloned.

Using the Lisli tool will read out the key cut is super easy.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics

scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote