Messed up my rocker panel pretty bad.... - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2020, 01:16 AM   #1
Khanon701

My Ride: 04 325ci
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Messed up my rocker panel pretty bad....

Hey guys, was hoping to come back here now that I've had my car going for a while with some good news of plans to do brakes and suspension bushings, but unfortunately that's not the case.... Scraped the passenger side rocker panel up pretty bad pulling out of the drive through at the bank today. Had never gone through that drive through and turned before I was clear of the lane divider, car rode up on the corner a little just behind the front wheel and scraped halfway to the back wheel. I feel so stupid..... How can I let myself be out on the road putting other people in danger if I can't even pull out of a stupid drive through...

Anyway, I haven't taken a second look at the damage yet. Right now it's parked in the field out back because I can't bear to look at it. I guess my only option would be to take it to a body shop?

Idk opinions? Or just tell me I'm stupid and shouldn't be into cars. I feel like I deserve it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Care and Quality are internal and external aspects of the same thing.
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who’s bound to have some characteristic of quality.”
-Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Last edited by Khanon701; 03-26-2020 at 02:18 AM.
Khanon701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:59 AM   #2
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanon701 View Post
Hey guys, was hoping to come back here now that I've had my car going for a while with some good news of plans to do brakes and suspension bushings, but unfortunately that's not the case.... Scraped the passenger side rocker panel up pretty bad pulling out of the drive through at the bank today. Had never gone through that drive through and turned before I was clear of the lane divider, car rode up on the corner a little just behind the front wheel and scraped halfway to the back wheel. I feel so stupid..... How can I let myself be out on the road putting other people in danger if I can't even pull out of a stupid drive through...

Anyway, I haven't taken a second look at the damage yet. Right now it's parked in the field out back because I can't bear to look at it. I guess my only option would be to take it to a body shop?

Idk opinions? Or just tell me I'm stupid and shouldn't be into cars. I feel like I deserve it.
Post some pictures of the damage. It may not be that bad. As long as you didn't get into the tub of the car you may be able to simply replace the rocker panel, it is only held on by 7 or 8 fasteners, it pops right off. Maybe find one of the same color at a local wrecking yard or fleaBay.

Don't be too hard on yourself, we have all made driving mistakes like that in our lives and it sounds like yours might only have minimal damage.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:18 AM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
Your baby is really a tank and will heal quickly from its bruise. You should be happy that the first scrape is done with and now you can enjoy driving without worrying about getting a scrape, because you have one.

It's a badge; a sign--this car has done things, been places, made ladies come and ask me, "are your tires f'n painted green?"

I leave you with that. They don't need to be green; I think body color is best--but the prep is key.

OP, you don't need to fix it or be ashamed, too much. Maybe feel shame for another week or two then let it go. (BTW, not hard to get the rocker cover off, nor is it to sand, fill, and cover with matching spray paint you can get online.) If you paint your tires, no one will be looking at your rockers.

See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 06:44 AM   #4
SMUUUUUV

My Ride: 330 Q7 3.0T S550 TT
Easy fix.... Just replaced both of mine with ZHP panels... You're baby will be fine. Just take a look at it. There's videos on youtube to show you how easy they are to replace...Good luck...

SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
IdahoDoug

My Ride: Quattro 20V
If you live long enough, you will do a number of things that you will chastise yourself over. Join the club and consider that all you did was scrape/bend something down low where for many of us the damage has been far more obvious and the error in judgement far more egregious. That's pretty minor in the scheme of things. It's also nice that the part unbolts and can be replaced. You can also get a variety of film wraps that may come in handy to cover it, etc. So don't beat yourself up over it - almost everyone reading this has been there, or will be some day. If I posted all the dumb things I did from the driver's seat you'd be reading for hours!
1984 Porsche 944, 1987 Toyota Supra 5M Targa (project), 1987 VW Vanagon, 1988 Mitsubishi Van Wagon, 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V 5M, 1992 Lexus LS400, 1993 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 1997 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 2018 Subaru Outback, 2002 325Xi sedan full spec.
IdahoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #6
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
That kind of thing happens or has happened to everyone at some point, even if they wont admit it. It not the end of the world.

Sounds like no real need for a body shop, especially if the panel side skirt took most of the abuse. Post pictures. Check the two lift pads on that side in case they were damaged or ripped off. You can just remove the panel for now and repaint it or replace on your own time. Also, head to a junkyard not only for finding a replacement panel but also to learn/practice how to remove it and how it attaches to the car.

Edit: per jmo69's comment below, the plastic side skirt is less problematic to deal with than damage to the actual metal panel below.

:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer

Last edited by LeverThis; 03-26-2020 at 06:36 PM.
LeverThis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #7
Kneedspeed

My Ride: 2001 330Ci Vert
Year: 2001
Transmission: manual
Where are the damage pics?
Old 03-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #8
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUUUUUV View Post
Easy fix.... Just replaced both of mine with ZHP panels... You're baby will be fine. Just take a look at it. There's videos on youtube to show you how easy they are to replace...Good luck...
I think the OP is talking about the actual rocker panel, not the side skirt. Hopefully it won't look like this after spending its life in the rust belt like mine.

Quote:
It's also nice that the part unbolts and can be replaced

Rocker panels are structural and can't be unbelted.

Bad outer xi ball joint?

2003 325xi auto Stahlgrau

1998 328is 5sp

Last edited by jmo69; 03-26-2020 at 04:43 PM.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:50 PM   #9
NorthernCAE46

My Ride: 01 330Ci Convertible
Once upon a time years ago about a month after i got my first bmw i was going to get my haircut by this gal who i'd dated a few times. I was pulling into the parking lot and seen a front row spot right in the view of the hairsalon. I thought "ill look real cool in my new car pulling right up front". Well i ended up looking like a retard as i pulled to far forward hitting the curb and my front bumper got real bad curb crash. I got out and tried to act like it was no big deal, but sat there getting my hair cut thinking about my bumper....

We've all done it! Just learn from it! After that move i never ever ever EVER park in a front location. I mean who likes to park next to people anyways.

Last edited by NorthernCAE46; 03-26-2020 at 04:53 PM.
NorthernCAE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #10
TobyB

My Ride: 2004xit, 2001ci
Quote:
Rocker panels are structural and can't be unbelted.
hee hee...

t
has never typoed, nor run over a curb and crushed his undertray. Nope. Hasn't happened.
TobyB is offline   Reply With Quote