Seeping oil level sensor - change whole sensor or just o-ring? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2020, 08:53 AM   #1
sefeing

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
Year: 2002
Model: 325i
Transmission: Automatic
Seeping oil level sensor - change whole sensor or just o-ring?

When I had my support plate off a few weeks back, I took the time to check for any leaks on my 89k mile 2002 325i. Pan + gasket looked fine, but I noticed what must be a long time weep / very very small leak from the sensor (can very much tell where). Looks more like a weep than a leak, since it wasn't actively dripping or anything, but I figure I may as well replace it at my next oil change. From what I can tell, the car needs an extra 1/2 - 3/4 liter every 3k(ish) miles, so really minor leak, and the engine is barely burning, which is great.

My question - should I purchase the whole sensor to replace, or just the O-ring?
sefeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:49 AM   #2
TobyB

My Ride: 2004xit, 2001ci
No reason to replace it if it's working! They last a long time, so I'd just reseal it.

Because, really, it's almost trivial to do at an oil change.

t
TobyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
sefeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB View Post
No reason to replace it if it's working! They last a long time, so I'd just reseal it.

Because, really, it's almost trivial to do at an oil change.

t
Fair point! didn't know if they have a tendency to break after time when removing , and if it was more worth it to have the whole sensor on hand. But sounds good!

Bummer I'll have to take the reinforcement plate off again, but not terrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2020, 07:34 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
Yeah, those sensors tend to go bad after 80k miles or so. The symptom is the yellow (not red!) oil light will come on for several seconds after you shut off the engine. The sensor is made by Hella and can be bought on Amazon. It’ll take you maybe 10 minutes to change it as you car doesn’t (shouldn’t ?) have the aluminum chassis re-enforcement panel that the 330’s have.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:27 AM   #5
sefeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Yeah, those sensors tend to go bad after 80k miles or so. The symptom is the yellow (not red!) oil light will come on for several seconds after you shut off the engine. The sensor is made by Hella and can be bought on Amazon. It’ll take you maybe 10 minutes to change it as you car doesn’t (shouldn’t ?) have the aluminum chassis re-enforcement panel that the 330’s have.
Gotcha, so maybe worth just replacing it preemptively then, since I'm at 89k?

I think it was by the years. My 2002 325i has the aluminum plate (8 non-reusable bolts)
Old 03-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #6
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Yeah, those sensors tend to go bad after 80k miles or so. The symptom is the yellow (not red!) oil light will come on for several seconds after you shut off the engine. The sensor is made by Hella and can be bought on Amazon. It'll take you maybe 10 minutes to change it as you car doesn't (shouldn't ?) have the aluminum chassis re-enforcement panel that the 330's have.
I've seen several of those oil level sensors go bad and simply be silent: no yellow warning light, no low oil indicator on dashboard, nada...so beware and don't rely on the darn thing.

FWIW, the 325 and 330 have the same reinforcement plate. You're maybe thinking of the earlier (pre 02/2001?) totally tubular reinforcement structure.
Application: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...431&series=E46
Diagram: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...04#31111096431

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 03-27-2020 at 11:04 AM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:56 AM   #7
IceWhite

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
When it is functioning properly, it will behave as you have described.
When Faulty, the yellow oil lamp will come on for about 15 seconds a few seconds after start-up.
IceWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:05 AM   #8
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
I would replace. They're cheap and have a history of going bad. And it you have the reinforcement plate that covers the pan variety I would definitely replace the whole thing vs just the o-ring. Since you're going through the trouble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:15 AM   #9
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
They're cheap...
HELLA $55 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VUANRE/

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #10
sefeing

Love it! I'll grab one from FCPEuro when I order my next round of parts / oil change. Easy enough. I'm pretty diligent about monitoring & checking my oil so not too worried until then!
Old 03-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #11
DBecker

My Ride: e30,e34,z3,e39
The prices are higher right now, but the aftermarket sensors used to be under $10 on FleaBay. The last one I bought was $7.29. That's less than the price of a replacement gasket alone. That gives you the option of using just the new gasket, with a back-up plan of using the whole sensor if you find that original sensor body was leaking.

If you are reusing the original sensor, make certain that oil can flow through from the hole at the tip to the base.

This is a molded gasket. It gets no gasket sealer. The only ones I've seen with significant leaks were gooped with gasket maker. That probably worked initially, but it was forming drops a few years later. Gasket maker is used only when the surfaces are so bad that you've given up on the seal working properly.

In my experience, the aftermarket sensors are physically well made and fit like the originals. I slightly prefer still-working original ones, but they don't have that much of a reliability advantage.

Last edited by DBecker; 03-27-2020 at 12:15 PM.
DBecker is offline   Reply With Quote