Fuel injectors doing great at 211,000 kms - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
kd7iwp

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2009 535x
Fuel injectors doing great at 211,000 kms

Currently have the intake manifold out and am replacing CCV, all vacuum lines, OFHG, VCG, serpentine belt, water pump, etc. Also sent in my fuel injectors for cleaning since I figured after this much time they could be leaking a bit or have a sub-optimal spray pattern. Car has been running great with no issues. Turns out it was a waste of money to get them cleaned.

Also, been running 87 octane fuel (for 8 years) for all those haters that say you can only use premium in these cars
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Injector results.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	796603  
kd7iwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:15 PM   #2
TobyB

My Ride: 2004xit, 2001ci
I flowed the xi's at 250,000 kms, and they were all between 230 and 235 ml/m with good patterns.
I'm curious what the units are in your tests...

Now, the E30's were a mess at that mileage, but they're also 4 generations older.
And I've purchased parts cars with blown motors from completely plugged injectors.

As to the low octane, it's not about the injectors, it's the piston crowns. Which are probably
ok, too, as the knock sensors on E46's do a fairly good job.
I run 91 because I drive like a moron sometimes, AND there's someone else's tune in the ECU.

t
flows great
less filling
TobyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:28 AM   #3
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
The fuel octane isnít the issue. The issue is the additives in the gas that keep the injectors (and the back side of the intake valves) clean. Here in the US we have fuel that meets the Top Tier Gas standard. This standard was developed by BMW and other major car makers. I replaced the injector o-rings in my 330Ci (123k miles) and the business end of each injector was pristine. I put only top tier gas in that car. I put only Shell gas in my M240i.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
kd7iwp

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2009 535x
I know octane isn't an issue, I just hear so many people talk about how low grade fuel will hurt fuel economy, performance, wear, blah blah blah. I DO put Shell 91 in my E61 because it's turbocharged and also because (at least in Canada) Shell Premium has no ethanol. I can also get no ethanol at Costco 91 and Chevron's 94 (much more expensive). So Shell is a good option for me.
kd7iwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 Track Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
The fuel octane isnít the issue. The issue is the additives in the gas that keep the injectors (and the back side of the intake valves) clean. Here in the US we have fuel that meets the Top Tier Gas standard. This standard was developed by BMW and other major car makers. I replaced the injector o-rings in my 330Ci (123k miles) and the business end of each injector was pristine. I put only top tier gas in that car. I put only Shell gas in my M240i.
Yeah you betcha'. I was around at the time of the 1st. BMW Engine Campaign.
Carbon buildup was very bad back then. We removed the intakes and did walnut shell blasting, among other things.
30 years later, we're blasting again.... Sigh.

The USA model 318i M20B18 with L Jetronic fuel injection was so prone to carbon buildup on the intake valves that it became the benchmark for testing rigs with the oil companies.
Shell, Chevron, Mobil etc. bought up many 318's just to have them for testing their fuel quality & additives.
At the same time came the all too (now) familiar Techron. Every customer had a case in the trunk because of the poor fuel quality.

You're right, in the USA we have top tier fuels.
For those that don't know, not all fuels in the USA meets that criteria.

https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
DBecker

My Ride: e30,e34,z3,e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMCar View Post
Yeah you betcha'. I was around at the time of the 1st. BMW Engine Campaign.
Carbon buildup was very bad back then. We removed the intakes and did walnut shell blasting, among other things.
30 years later, we're blasting again.... Sigh.

The USA model 318i M20B18 with L Jetronic fuel injection was so prone to carbon buildup on the intake valves that it became the benchmark for testing rigs with the oil companies.
Shell, Chevron, Mobil etc. bought up many 318's just to have them for testing their fuel quality & additives.
The US 318 was the M10 and M42.
The M20 was the 'baby six'.

I never had problems with the injectors on my e30's M20, probably because it never had bad fuel. At 250K miles I cut open the original fuel filter (based on the production date) and found it only slightly discolored. The injectors screens were pristine. The plastic injector tip shrouds were dirty and brittle -- the only part worth replacing in what was otherwise a disappointing service. (Disappointing because it was basically wasted parts when the original ones were fine, and there was no performance improvement.)
DBecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #7
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 Track Car
Got me there, typing too fast

M10B18
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:16 AM   #8
darkfires102

My Ride: 325xi, '07 E60 M5
Year: 2003
Transmission: 5spd Manual
Here I am happily using cheapo sams club and walmart gas...Will it really make a huge difference?
darkfires102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:29 AM   #9
DBecker

My Ride: e30,e34,z3,e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfires102 View Post
Here I am happily using cheapo sams club and walmart gas...Will it really make a huge difference?
I prefer Top Tier gas, even while knowing that it is mostly marketing and only a little bit adhering to a minimum standard.

That's especially true here in California, where gas must meet the CaRFG2 specification. It all comes from the same small set of in-state refineries, and the additive package is very constrained. I doubt that anyone is actually adding in their own additive recipe, unless it's a homeopathic dose e.g. a little bottle Techron once a year.

The big changes were made decades ago, with the requirement for non-corroding underground storage tanks, tight specifications for pump gas, and filters at ever stage of the distribution system. Gas used to be a witches brew of whatever came out of the refinery, transported and stored in tanks with open vents, mixed with whatever flaked off of the steel storage tanks.
DBecker is offline   Reply With Quote