P0171 and P0174 2005 325Ci - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2020, 11:03 PM   #1
rbpwrd240

P0171 and P0174 2005 325Ci

I'm going to have the car smoke tested but I figured I would ask here for the usual suspects for this code. Maybe I can find it without spending 100 bucks.

The scenario is that the car is new to me. I had a warm motor and pulled out on the road and nailed it. The car accelerated as usual for a second or two and then It felt like I had a miss while under load. As soon as I started driving normal It was like it went away.

I hit it again and this time the miss was instant. Now its there anytime I try to put a decent load on the car. Under normal driving its almost un noticeable.

Any ideas on what could have done this?
Valve cover?
Vanos?
Vacuum leak? (Where)
Bad O2?
Old spark plugs?
Dirty MAF?

Iv only driven the car for a few weeks in total since I got it back in March and I don't have alot of history on maintenance other then the car fax which is mostly on time oil changes. To make the process more difficult this is my first BMW so I don't have a lot of history working on them

I appreciate any help,
rbpwrd240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:13 PM   #2
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Forget the VANOS and O2 sensors being the cause.

You should read these threads and build your own smoke tester if you really need it.

Solve your misfires, lean codes, rough idle - https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616

Fuel pump failures - https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Fuel pump failures -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Temp Info -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:05 AM   #3
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Those are lean codes, usually vacuum leaks. Smoke test it.
See first link below.
Check fuel pump and its pressure.

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
rbpwrd240

I sprayed carb cleaner all around the engine near the usual suspects. nothing. Pulled oil cap and I don't have huge vacuum there so I'm eliminating things but no clue as to what it is.
rbpwrd240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:35 PM   #5
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpwrd240 View Post
I sprayed carb cleaner all around the engine near the usual suspects. nothing. Pulled oil cap and I don't have huge vacuum there so I'm eliminating things but no clue as to what it is.
That doesn't work for finding vacuum leaks on these cars. You need a smoke test, as already mentioned. The lack of strong vacuum at the oil filler cap points to vacuum leaks. Hit the smoke test link below and get to work.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 05-25-2020 at 06:36 PM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:54 PM   #6
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
BEFORE YOU SPEND A DIME....

Take the MAF off and set it aside, IGNORE it.
Now, the MAF connects to a duct that's 3 inches around, whatever. Take the duct off of the throttle body.
Inspect the duct for cracks. ANY cracks.

You are interested in the version of Items 4 & 8 as they apply to your car (back out to Select Another Car and input the last 7 digits of your VIN), then go to FUEL PREPARATION. You might find that yours are okay, but before you spend a few hundred dollars for crap you don't need, you can do a visual inspection of these items and very likely cure that which ails you. (My '94 E36 had cracks in my versions of Item 8, and cured my problems after a couple of cans of fuel system cleaner an inspection from my mechanic ($120 for smog tests, $120 for the mechanic inspection, a couple of cans of magic juice at $25 each, and plugs and boots for $120). I fixed my car for a $20 duct. Don't be me.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=13_0903
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote