2000 323i power steering/ coolant system replacementsrepla - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #1
spags323

My Ride: 323i, 330xi, 2012 X5
2000 323i power steering/ coolant system replacementsrepla

Hi everyone, first time asking for ideas/advice long time reader.
DIY lots of times on this car and others, (2012 X5 3.5)

Car is in great condition, original owner, 147,000 miles. Water pump/thermostat previously replaced. Radiator, expansion tank, hoses, etc never touched. No leaks.

Power steering pump seems ok but developing small leaks at connections and a couple of hoses. BMW wanted $1,500 to replace the 4 PS hoses. Doesnt look to be a very difficult job.

Any thoughts on doing both jobs at the same time. Looks like it might be easier that way. Lots of room to work, etc.

Parts will be ordered from FCPEuro. Any other suggestions?

Anything else you can suggest to replace while car is apart? I've replaced plugs, coils, valve cover and gasket. Shocks, control arms and front bushings. All fluids have been replaced.

Thanks, Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200401_113440.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	801145  

Last edited by spags323; 05-22-2020 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Added questions
spags323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
lllRazorlll

My Ride: Accord Coupe
If you're doing power steering, you might want to consider belts and pulleys. Fluid changes are always a good thing if its been a while

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:36 PM   #3
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
May sound crazy, but I would consider doing the oil pan gasket.

Once you have drained the ps system and disconnected the pressure hose, it is much easier to drop the front subframe and get great access to the sump.

Btw replace the reservoir, the crush washers, and the pump o-ring during the procedure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spags323 View Post
Hi everyone, first time asking for ideas/advice long time reader.
DIY lots of times on this car and others, (2012 X5 3.5)

Car is in great condition, original owner, 147,000 miles. Water pump/thermostat previously replaced. Radiator, expansion tank, hoses, etc never touched. No leaks.

Power steering pump seems ok but developing small leaks at connections and a couple of hoses. BMW wanted $1,500 to replace the 4 PS hoses. Doesnt look to be a very difficult job.

Any thoughts on doing both jobs at the same time. Looks like it might be easier that way. Lots of room to work, etc.

Parts will be ordered from FCPEuro. Any other suggestions?

Anything else you can suggest to replace while car is apart? I've replaced plugs, coils, valve cover and gasket. Shocks, control arms and front bushings. All fluids have been replaced.

Thanks, Ron
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 06:13 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
First, kudos for ordering from FCPEuro. Make sure all cooling system parts are either OE or OEM. The power steering fluid leaks are likely at/near the reservoir. The hose that runs from the ps fluid cooler that sits in front of the radiator and connects to the off-center nipple on the reservoir is the usual culprit. I’d replace it and the hose that runs from the center nipple on the reservoir to the pump. I wouldn’t bother replacing the Hugh pressure hoses. I’ve never heard of one if those leaking unless they’d been damaged. Buy a new ZF reservoir also.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
Marcus is correct about the leaking hoses. However the pressure line is almost certainly "weeping"
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:47 AM   #6
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Oil filter housing gasket would be easy to do at that point. The CCV system is also a little easier with the OFH out of the way.

Archbid makes a good point about the oil pan gasket being easier without the high pressure ps hose, but that is definitely a good bit of scope creep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #7
spags323

Belts and pulleys have been done previously. Have to look up how long ago, doubt it's been more than 20,000 miles. Only drive it about 2,000/year. If needed I will change all. Pretty easy.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:52 PM   #8
spags323

Thanks for the info, oil pan gasket may be above my pay grade. I'll look into it however. All fluids have been changed. Reservoir at least once maybe twice. Good idea about the OFH and CCV. I've done the OFH on a previously owned 330xi. Not that hard.

Any reason not to change the power steering pump and the high pressure hose? They are almost 20 years old.

On a side note, I saw a recall notice for Harbor Freight floor jacks. Very dangerous. Could collapse under a load. I had 2 of them. Returned for store credit, no questions asked.