PLZ Help if you know trannies - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2020, 10:08 PM   #1
OURMANDAN

PLZ Help if you know trannies

We bought an early 03 coupe 325Ci & want to install a manual tranny. I understand most of how to do that, but I am not a BMW tranny encyclopedia.

We found in a 96 E36 in salvage but the tranny says "BMW" on the side.
at 1st glance it looks like it will work .. but I checked at RealOEM and they don't show that as true .. and Ebay's compatibility fit also says no.

But a guy selling an (a getrag 250 ) says all model years are compatible until 2006

Here are photos of the one we want to buy (from an E36 1996). The pedals are correct for our car except for gas .. which is easy to handle. Can you kindly advise me so I don't waste money on something that won't work. I also wonder it the differential will work .. it looks like the Manual differential has a different ratio than the automatic. I put the VIN in there too. It would be sweet music to my ears if it will fit.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200518_165406.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	801149   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200518_165251.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	801151   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200518_165415.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	801153   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200518_165138.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	801155  

OURMANDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:10 AM   #2
Bill33

My Ride: e46
First: 2 seconds typing BMW 1222936.9 in google tells me the transmission, applications and details. ZF S5D 320Z Don't be such a lazy slob.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ZF_transmissions

Yes it will work, no, e36 diffs won't work.
If you're stuck on questions this basic, you may want to spend more time reading and learning before taking your car apart.
Bill33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill33 View Post
First: 2 seconds typing BMW 1222936.9 in google tells me the transmission, applications and details. ZF S5D 320Z Don't be such a lazy slob.

If you're stuck on questions this basic, you may want to spend more time reading and learning before taking your car apart.
Be nice. OP isn't asking about cold air intakes or turbos. Could be that he was just looking for a 2nd opinion or confirmation or what he'd already researched.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past BMWs:

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 09:27 AM   #4
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
I know a tranny. Good friend of my wife.

Okay, somebody had to do it.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
Jones68

My Ride: 2004 M3 / 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
I know a tranny. Good friend of my wife.

Okay, somebody had to do it.
Yep. Saw that one a mile away.

Jones68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #6
Jones68

Oh and good luck OP !

Old 05-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
TobyB

My Ride: 2004xit, 2001ci
Ok, I also know a number of crossdressers, but I've also worked on transmissions a bit:

Mandan, the E36 transmission bolts right up to the M54 in the E46.

The things that may vary: shifter linkage and location. You will need E46 parts for this.

:clutch- you'll want to grab EVERYTHING E36, and when you buy fresh parts, buy the E36 parts for it (the input shaft's a different spline)

:driveshaft- you will need an E46 driveshaft for a manual, as your auto one will not work. Wrong length, wrong input flange.
The E36 driveshaft won't have the right center support, and I don't THINK (but don't know for sure) that it will go into an E46.
You may run into another problem using an E36 trans as BMW used several configurations of flex joints (guibos) over the years,
and the flange on the E36 trans may not work with the flange on the E46. But it might.

This is all remedy- able, but in Phoenix, you ought to be able to find an E46 325 manual (NOT 330, unless you take the diff, too, and then you'll end up with a tall ratio) to get all
the parts from. It'll be bolt- and- drive, after you sort out the neutral safety switch programming and tell the ECU it's a manual
(and unplug the trans control module).
You can always use the 325 auto diff, but the manual diff will get your revs down a bunch, so I'd grab that, too.

I love the yoo- pullet yards, but buying a wrecked donor (not a hard front- end hit, tho- that can wreck the whole driveline) is going to be your easiest- and messiest- solution.

hope that helps,
t

Last edited by TobyB; 05-23-2020 at 12:02 PM.
TobyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #8
OURMANDAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill33 View Post

I am glad you find this trivial. I lack your tribal knowledge in this area. That's hy I seek help. We cannot afford to make a mistake. I agree it should be simple, but there is conflicting info out there. I am new to BMW but have a lot of experience w/ American cars to port over to BMW.

Many folks seem to use an oil selection guide on RealOEM.com to answer their transmission fit questions, but that seems shaky to me. Thats why I need your help ..even though you are a smart ass.

I originally saw that wikipedia list .. But I don't understand how I could have derived a correct (and wise) match from that. I did not know ZF trannies were cast with BMW on the side either. That's stuff you know but I didn't.

Can you help me sort this conflicting info:
Here : https://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref?q=23007503993
Shows I should use part "S5D 320Z - THCH"

But elsewhere on the same site I found an exemption saying i should use a
23001434485 , AKA S5D320Z-THMW This appears to be a newer model .. but the production dates overlap.

This is a concern because if you go to this thread:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...D-320-Z-Tranny

You will find Z3RACER701 publishing a list of what works (derived from the oil list) .. then nick325xit 5spd says that is not true. Z3 walks it back .. and publishes an adjusted list ... and my 2003 3.25i coupe is gone from his compatibility list for the S5D-250G transmission.

Would you be kind enough to clarify:
1.) How did you derive compatibility from a wiki list? I think you went elsewhere .. please teach me.
2.) what do -TAJT & THCH mean ? is that decode-able into something meaningful?

3.) What is your certainty that the part will work. I had decided that it will .. but I truly would value your advise.
4.) do you know if the drive shaft would match (the manual shaft is longer than the Auto shaft).
5.) The differential ratio is different between auto and Manual per bokchoys.com/differential/gearratios.com.

Thanks for your assistance. I plan to harvest the manual tranny today if you are pretty certain it will fit ... I think it will.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:19 PM   #9
OURMANDAN

Hey ... That's not the kind of Tranny advise I seek ...but yes I agree someone had to crack that "funny". I deserved it. I picked up the slang in highschool ..or should I say "Ancient times".
Old 05-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #10
mega_stihl

My Ride: E46 & E32
2.) It's a minor variation to the gearbox. Example: the E34, E36, E46 and E60 all have some models that use the same ZF 5 speed gearbox, but the TAJT & THCH or whatever indicate a minor difference, such as for example the output flange/guibo, or input shaft, ... as this is car/model specific. The transmission from a E60 might not be a direct fit to the E46, althought both are ZF S5D 320Z.

Correct me if I am mistaken.

E46 320Ci FL swapped to 330Ci
Bilstein B12 - H&R sways

Last edited by mega_stihl; 05-23-2020 at 01:17 PM.
mega_stihl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:30 PM   #11
OURMANDAN

Thanks TobyB ... I hoped the shaft would work. I saw a Netherlands video where the guy took his drive shaft to an actual drive shaft shop (they were around in the US when I was a kid). they just lengthened it for him (laughing).
50s kid has a video about that differential ratio .. he swapped to manual and hated 2nd gear (ratio 2.52 in the auto, but 2.0 in the manual) .. so he swapped the differential to a different ratio. But he is so unconcerned with money .. and I have to watch it closely for now. We wanted to get a coupe with a manual in it .. but they have dried up almost completely here. Its easy to rack up a tab on a change over that approaches 1000.00 .. & I don't want that. I did get the pedals for 30.00 though .. so that's a good start. The coupe we bough is superb and would sell fast. Maybe we should do that & turn the cash over into a manual car ... most of those though are pretty beat up.. I can sure tell who's been drifting because they rip the interiors out. tks
Old 05-23-2020, 12:31 PM   #12
OURMANDAN

Very useful info Mega-Stihl .. Thanks
Old 05-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #13
OURMANDAN

TobyB I saw that Driveshaft on line last week .. it was 190.00 ish .. Our old trann --- well I better say "transmission" works perfectly so I might get a couple hundred for that to pay for the driveshaft.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #14
Jones68

Quote:
Originally Posted by OURMANDAN View Post
I picked up the slang in highschool ..or should I say "Ancient times".
Same here.

I'm new to BMW's also, (not cars) and anything new I find has a learning curve. Either that or I'm a lazy slob. lol

Old 05-23-2020, 12:40 PM   #15
OURMANDAN

Toby are you saying I should get an E46 donor ? The E36 yard car is not a beat up mess. I've pulled ALL the parts that are gone. I got on it the day it came in. But if you think waiting on an E46makes more sense .. I can do that. The changeover to me looks straightforward now that I know it will fit .. but its straight forward only in the sense of putting it together. The hide-and-seek for parts I need might be anything but straight forward.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #16
OURMANDAN

After I heard that slob part I threw away my bag of Doritos.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #17
Jones68

Old 05-23-2020, 01:22 PM   #18
OURMANDAN

That was a great day .. but where did you find my picture?
Old 05-23-2020, 03:43 PM   #19
Jones68

Quote:
Originally Posted by OURMANDAN View Post
That was a great day .. but where did you find my picture?
You made the news;

Recently, a man from Austintown, Ohio, called the police because he was “too high” and considered it an emergency. When the police arrived they found him lying in a pile of several bags of Doritos and biscuits. A police report confirms this; it states the officers found the man lying, ‘Surrounded by a plethora of Doritos, Pepperidge Farm Goldfish and Chips Ahoy cookies.

When the police responded they could hear groans from the man’s flat before even entering his home.

The police officers also found a jar of marijuana, a glass pipe and rolling papers in the man’s home, according to The Vindicator.

He has not yet been charged.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:56 PM   #20
OURMANDAN

At that time in my life I wanted to "take it to the edge". Had I not chipped a tooth attempting to eat Hostess ding-dongs I had frozen earlier, it could have been the end for me. But I'm ok now. Still a slob, but I'm ok.

Tags
5 speed, fitment, manual, transmission