2006 M3 - hard to start when cold? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-10-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
bmwphd

My Ride: 2006 M3 manual
Question 2006 M3 - hard to start when cold?

Hi,

I got a 6m M3 one week ago and it is hard to start in the mornings. It sits in the garage overnight and the temperatures are not very low in May.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thank you.
bmwphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
bagher
Account closed.

Send a message via AIM to bagher
no
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
brahtw8

My Ride: 88 M5, 91 NSX, etc.
My 2003.5 had problems starting in cold weather, real cold weather. On four occasions during last winter it had full electrical power but refused to crank and did not make a click. On three occasions the problem fixed itself after 10-20 minutes. On one occasion the car had to be flat-bedded to the dealer.

They first looked at the keys to make sure they were functioning properly. When the problem occurred, it didn't make any difference which key I used. They replaced the EWS module. The problem remained. They next replaced the main fuel relay and the starter motor. The problem has not returned.

1988 M5
1991 NSX
2005 Outback XT
brahtw8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
you may have a slow drain on the battery

that is possisable or you may need maybe a upgrade for the comp. in your car.... but i think sence you only got your car a week that you may have a slow leak in the electric from the battery.
bobm3
Old 05-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #5
unvmym3

My Ride: your daughter !
cold start poblem , dont matter if its cold or not go to bmw i think they flash ur ecu and u will be good to go
unvmym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #6
M3SMG02

My Ride: take a wild guess
I've been having the same problems actually. Its not too cold outside, but in the mornings it struggles to start. Happened three times so far this week, but never did it before that. Gonna wait and see if it continues.

Its weird cuz it only happens in the morning when the car's been sitting overnight.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
ReNNeN.CaRL
Team ReNNeN

My Ride: SOLD SOLD SOLD
Send a message via ICQ to ReNNeN.CaRL Send a message via AIM to ReNNeN.CaRL Send a message via MSN to ReNNeN.CaRL Send a message via Yahoo to ReNNeN.CaRL
Dealership time. Take it in especially since it is brand new.
ReNNeN.CaRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #8
bmwphd

Thank you for the inputs guys. I am really freaked out; what is this? This morning the check engine light went on after the second start attempt (which was successful).
Old 05-10-2006, 01:42 PM   #9
ReNNeN.CaRL
Team ReNNeN

My Ride: SOLD SOLD SOLD
Send a message via ICQ to ReNNeN.CaRL Send a message via AIM to ReNNeN.CaRL Send a message via MSN to ReNNeN.CaRL Send a message via Yahoo to ReNNeN.CaRL
I am sorry to hear you are having so many problems. Definitely Dealership time now.
ReNNeN.CaRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:11 PM   #10
t1gerb0y

My Ride: E46 M3
I have a similar cold start problem with my M3. On cold mornings, the M3 doesn't start until the 2nd try. Throughout the rest of the day, or on warm mornings, it starts fine. When it was still under warranty last year, the dealer "re-flashed the ECU" but the problem never went away. Since then, my warranty has expired, but everyone else I've talked to thinks it's a problem related to fuel delivery. FWIW good luck!

-Andy
t1gerb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:46 PM   #11
woodpusherX

My Ride: 06 M3 Convertible
try turning the key to the on position and waitin 5-10 seconds before starting it. this lets the fuel pump prime first.
woodpusherX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:03 PM   #12
bmwphd

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1gerb0y
I have a similar cold start problem with my M3. On cold mornings, the M3 doesn't start until the 2nd try. Throughout the rest of the day, or on warm mornings, it starts fine. When it was still under warranty last year, the dealer "re-flashed the ECU" but the problem never went away. Since then, my warranty has expired, but everyone else I've talked to thinks it's a problem related to fuel delivery. FWIW good luck!

-Andy
I took the car to the dealer today. They found a fault related to the fuel expansion tank. The P/N listed on the invoice I got from them (16-13-6-764-191) is for a leak diagnostic pump. RealOEM has a nice diagram for the whole fuel ventilation system.

I am cusrious to see if it starts on the first try tomorrow morning
Old 05-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #13
Funfgang

My Ride: 07 s8,04 gt3
I HAD THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM...took it to the dealership...they couldnt find anything...now, it just works...dont get it...BTW...ALOT of 06 M3s have had this problem...
Funfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:05 PM   #14
Mliner
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: Boosted ZCP E46 M3
Send a message via AIM to Mliner Send a message via Yahoo to Mliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funfgang
I HAD THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM...took it to the dealership...they couldnt find anything...now, it just works...dont get it...BTW...ALOT of 06 M3s have had this problem...
I had the same problem. This only happened on cold startups. I noticed when i turn the key to position one, then wait untill the "beeps" stop, then I turn it on, and starts normal sometimes. This occured when I had the k&n 63 intake installed. I took it out and went to the dealer and checked everything, and it hasent happened for one week so far. I have the stock intake now, and it's running good. No more cold start problems.
Mliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:19 PM   #15
hposu33

My Ride: 06 M3 Coupe
I have the same issue, gonna wait til the 1200 mile break in service for them to check out, very annoying, not even 600 miles on the car!
hposu33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:34 PM   #16
Mliner
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: Boosted ZCP E46 M3
Send a message via AIM to Mliner Send a message via Yahoo to Mliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hposu33
I have the same issue, gonna wait til the 1200 mile break in service for them to check out, very annoying, not even 600 miles on the car!
Hmmm....It's probably the coils. If you had a intake I would say put it back to stock {that's what I did and problem went away}.
Mliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #17
t1gerb0y

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwphd
I took the car to the dealer today. They found a fault related to the fuel expansion tank. The P/N listed on the invoice I got from them (16-13-6-764-191) is for a leak diagnostic pump. RealOEM has a nice diagram for the whole fuel ventilation system.

I am cusrious to see if it starts on the first try tomorrow morning
Nice... I hope that fixes it for you.

$90 part, but it looks like a PITA to replace.

Thanks,
Andy
t1gerb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:28 AM   #18
afx twin

My Ride: 2006 M3
1700 miles on mine('06) and im experiencing this for a while now. im gonna try switching gas brand to see if that helps.
afx twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:37 AM   #19
bmwphd

Quote:

Thanks,
Andy
5/12/2006: It started fine I won't get very excited though because so did it yesterday morning before taking it to the dealer. Both yesterday and today it was warmer and more humid than the other days.

The SA said that the part they replaced was cracked! On a 250 mile car? What's up with BMW? A lot of people seem to experience the problem; really embarassing for on M3 chocking up when starting
Old 05-12-2006, 07:47 AM   #20
bmwphd

Quote:

Thanks,
Andy
Andy,

It took ~2hrs from the time I dropped it off until they called me saying that they fixed it. I don't know exactly where the fuel expansion tank it is on the M3; I looked at the repair manual for the regular E46s and it seems that one has to remove the wheel and the wheel well cover to get access to it. I'll spend more time this weekend trying to figure out where it is and how they did it.