Sunroof Fix…. Anti trapping issues - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
JmAbshire

My Ride: 01 330i Jet Black
Exclamation Sunroof Fix…. Anti trapping issues

If you have ever messed around with your sunroof i.e. replaced the clips and the sunroof stops half or 75% of the way, I have finally (with the help from by brother-in-law who works at a dealership in MD) figured out how to properly initialize it. Everywhere you look they tell you to hold the button in for 20 seconds and then that's it. If you have an 01~02, this as you know does not work. It might work for a bit, but it will eventually stop again later down the road. I've just been dealing with it, pretty annoying . So here is how you do it:

1. Turn your ignition to on but do not start the engine, AC position

2. Hit the button and hold it in retract position, the sunroof will go back now, once its there keep holding the button back for about 20-30 seconds.

3. Next push the button forward while holding it the whole way, the sunroof will go forward, once its there keep holding it forward until the sunroof goes up to the vent position.

4. Now depress the button to lift the sunroof (I know its already up,) hold for approximately 20~30 seconds until it goes up one more level.

So in essence what you are doing is training the motor in all three positions. Another note.. Lubing up the rails is also a good idea, however this alone will probably not fix the anti trapping (it has surprisingly enough has for some on here ). Give it a shot and see if it works.

J
JmAbshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
flyinj3x

My Ride: 03/03 330ci
Send a message via MSN to flyinj3x Send a message via Yahoo to flyinj3x
i tried it, and for the time being, it seems to work. thanks for the tip.
flyinj3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Yup they updated the control units to the ones on the E39 what you just posted is the same for an E39 there are alos TSB's about this so it shouldn't have been hard to figure out

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to [email protected]

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
nuwde

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Everything was going well for me until step #4. My sunroof would not lift "one more level." It wanted to (I heard a twitch-like sound) but it didn't. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmAbshire View Post
If you have ever messed around with your sunroof i.e. replaced the clips and the sunroof stops half or 75% of the way, I have finally (with the help from by brother-in-law who works at a dealership in MD) figured out how to properly initialize it. Everywhere you look they tell you to hold the button in for 20 seconds and then that's it. If you have an 01~02, this as you know does not work. It might work for a bit, but it will eventually stop again later down the road. I've just been dealing with it, pretty annoying . So here is how you do it:

1. Turn your ignition to on but do not start the engine, AC position

2. Hit the button and hold it in retract position, the sunroof will go back now, once its there keep holding the button back for about 20-30 seconds.

3. Next push the button forward while holding it the whole way, the sunroof will go forward, once its there keep holding it forward until the sunroof goes up to the vent position.

4. Now depress the button to lift the sunroof (I know its already up,) hold for approximately 20~30 seconds until it goes up one more level.

So in essence what you are doing is training the motor in all three positions. Another note.. Lubing up the rails is also a good idea, however this alone will probably not fix the anti trapping (it has surprisingly enough has for some on here ). Give it a shot and see if it works.

J
nuwde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
LambMadras

Great post! Seems to have worked so far on my '01 330Ci. Didn't really want to try the clips DIY yet and this looks to have solved my problem for the time being!
LambMadras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
kittybitme

My Ride: sweet german sled
same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwde View Post
Everything was going well for me until step #4. My sunroof would not lift "one more level." It wanted to (I heard a twitch-like sound) but it didn't. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Mine did the same thing on step 4
kittybitme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
nuwde

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybitme View Post
Mine did the same thing on step 4
anyone got answers?
Old 05-04-2007, 10:54 PM   #8
MysticBlau330Ci

My Ride: 330Ci '04 & M4 2016
Good info
Old 05-07-2007, 01:15 AM   #9
nuwde

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwde View Post
bump for an answer to this.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:18 AM   #10
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
I changed my clips, but now the shade does not retract on it's own when the sunroof goes from closed to vent.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:02 AM   #11
shortyb

My Ride: Has blue lights
Just a bit OT, but does anyone have or can direct me to pics showing were to lube the S/R tracks? Tried lincomatic's and others DIYs, but none show really clear areas to lube, unless I'm missing something. I have found the ones for the interior shade but can't seem to locate the ones for the glass panel. TIA.
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:48 AM   #12
nuwde

bump again. can't get past step 4...
Old 10-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #13
stedes

My Ride: None yet
Sorry to resurrect an old thread with my first ever post, but I've just got my first E34 (1999 318i - lowly I know) and the sunroof was staying an inch or so down...
Tried the above procedure and worked 100% first time.
You guys are awesome! I cannot believe it was that simple to fix!
stedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #14
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
after replacing the clips on my sunroof the visor/cover does not open all the way, the glass does slide but the interior panel does not open. Anyone know why.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
220k330

My Ride: 2001 330ci ZSP
anyone still following this?
220k330 is offline   Reply With Quote