Retrofitting an Autodim/Homelink Mirror - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Retrofitting an Autodim/Homelink Mirror

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a mirror from eBay that has autodim & homelink built-in. My old mirror was a basic manual clown nose mirror.

Picture of mirror:

I found a few threads and a writeup by Steve (Sna77) about retrofitting the mirror and I am having some issues. Here are the threads I reviewed:

Post #67 (Alex323Ci)
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=mirror&page=4
SNA77's writeup
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mirror/compass.htm

I took Alex's advice and only ordered the two wires needed and then tried to splice into the UGDO plug using the existing mirror harness. In Steve's DIY I can see that the wiring harness is different. I also notice in my harness I already have a ground wire.

I tried cracking the wiring harness but it does not come apart. I cannot feed the #3 wire in because it will not go in alll the way and lock in.

What should I do? I really do not want to chop off the harness and create a new one. I hate doing that.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
CShell

My Ride: Cait
Send a message via AIM to CShell

No clue here...

CShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
Whammy

Alex323Ci & SNA77, if either of you see this thread, any help would be appreciated!

Old 02-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Do you have the auto rain sensor feature? The auto rain sensor has extra wires to the wire harness to the mirror. This powers the features on the mirror.

Last edited by xi_ter; 02-17-2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: add
xi_ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
Whammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
Do you have the auto rain sensor feature? The auto rain sensor has extra wires to the wire harness to the mirror. This powers the features on the mirror.
I do. It's behind my hand

Old 02-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
Whammy

Anyone?? I need to put my mirror back together tonight so that I can drive the car tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Check the wiring information in:

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...+mirror&page=4

Not much mention of Homelink connectors though.
xi_ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:51 AM   #8
dayclone

My Ride: 01' 320i
Hey dude okay,

So your existing harness don't crack it or touch it at all... your suppose to purchase a seperate harness from the BMW dealer and take the brown wire, and the yellow/blue.

Then your to insert those into your current harness in your BMW, and then wire tap it to make it work, then it should be plug and play from there.

Please reply back if you don't understand or maybe I don't understand your problem. The harness you have should be labeled 1 - 10.

Oh and your #3 slot can't go in fully? can you check to see if there's something blocking it's way or something? it should slide it fine with the connectors or w.e. you call it,

and as long as your #10 slot is a ground your already set! so all you have to do is plug in #3 and your good to go from the looks of it.

I will have to refer to your pictures as I'm installing the Rain and Light Sensor... just the other end is going to be the hard part... where do all the wires go? haha

Last edited by dayclone; 02-18-2008 at 03:56 AM.
dayclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:24 AM   #9
Whammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
Check the wiring information in:

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...+mirror&page=4

Not much mention of Homelink connectors though.
Xi_ter,

Thanks for the info, but unfortunately I do not think it's the wiring that I have chosen to tap into. I have that correct. I am having an issue trying to get the wiring that I bought from BMW into the wiring harness. If you look at SNA77's write-up against mine and compare the two harness, they are different.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #10
Whammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayclone View Post
Hey dude okay,

So your existing harness don't crack it or touch it at all... your suppose to purchase a seperate harness from the BMW dealer and take the brown wire, and the yellow/blue.

Then your to insert those into your current harness in your BMW, and then wire tap it to make it work, then it should be plug and play from there.

Please reply back if you don't understand or maybe I don't understand your problem. The harness you have should be labeled 1 - 10.

Oh and your #3 slot can't go in fully? can you check to see if there's something blocking it's way or something? it should slide it fine with the connectors or w.e. you call it,

and as long as your #10 slot is a ground your already set! so all you have to do is plug in #3 and your good to go from the looks of it.

I will have to refer to your pictures as I'm installing the Rain and Light Sensor... just the other end is going to be the hard part... where do all the wires go? haha
Dayclone,

I do not think you understand the route that I am taking. If you read Alex323Ci's comments, he states that you do not need to buy a new wiring harness. You only need the wiring. I bought the wiring from and I it to lock into the harness.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
dayclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
Dayclone,

I do not think you understand the route that I am taking. If you read Alex323Ci's comments, he states that you do not need to buy a new wiring harness. You only need the wiring. I bought the wiring from and I it to lock into the harness.
Hey so you just bought the wire, and the connector right? and it should then just slide into place? if not I'm thinking their like every other harness should be a retaining clip of some sort when you take it off it'll reveal all the other wires and make life easier.

I have not seen the harness before but if you can get me pics of the problem then maybe I can help you further otherwise... yeh keep me posted.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #12
Whammy

Quote:
Hey so you just bought the wire, and the connector right? and it should then just slide into place? if not I'm thinking their like every other harness should be a retaining clip of some sort when you take it off it'll reveal all the other wires and make life easier.

I have not seen the harness before but if you can get me pics of the problem then maybe I can help you further otherwise... yeh keep me posted.
Excuse my last post. It seems I can't proofread before I hit send. My bad.

Dayclone, please take a look at the first two pictures that have the harness. In the second picture you can see three open holes in the harness. I am trying to take a wires and pass it through one of the holes. The third hole in the bottom row is empty. That is where I need to put the wire.

As you can see the in the the picture, the harness does not come apart. I tried to find the retaining clip, but no dice.

Anyone else have ideas?
Old 02-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #13
dayclone

Hey dude,

Yeh I see the pics umm I'm not too sure but the 2nd and last pic where your thumb is... that black piece that sticks out, can you push it up? or pop it out somehow because the last pic gives me a perfect view of the slot. And the slot totally looks like the ones in the taillight that has a retaining clip. Again I'm not too sure but when you try to put the wire in it doesn't click right?

Steve
Old 02-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #14
Whammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
Excuse my last post. It seems I can't proofread before I hit send. My bad.

Dayclone, please take a look at the first two pictures that have the harness. In the second picture you can see three open holes in the harness. I am trying to take a wires and pass it through one of the holes. The third hole in the bottom row is empty. That is where I need to put the wire.

As you can see the in the first picture, the harness does not come apart. I tried to find the retaining clip, but no dice.

Anyone else have ideas?
Edit: Forgot a word

Quote:
Hey dude,

Yeh I see the pics umm I'm not too sure but the 2nd and last pic where your thumb is... that black piece that sticks out, can you push it up? or pop it out somehow because the last pic gives me a perfect view of the slot. And the slot totally looks like the ones in the taillight that has a retaining clip. Again I'm not too sure but when you try to put the wire in it doesn't click right?

Steve
Steve, the picture that you see with my thumb on the retaining clip is for the mirror. This allows me to disconnect the harness from the mirror, not take the harness apart.

I have tried pushing the wire into the harness socket it will not lock in place. Even using a paperclip to force it still will not work.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #15
Whammy

Old 02-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #16
DesertMotorWorks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2004 330CI
-Not sure it is even possible cause of the harness
difference and CAN is an issue.

-How will you interface the E65 CAN signals into an E46??

-The E46 (Late model) mirrors are on LIN Bus, as well as a number of other controllers.
DesertMotorWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #17
dayclone

Hmmm I don't know what to say Whammy... Sorry bro.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #18
Whammy

I think I am going to order the harness connector from BMW and see if I can get the wires in there. There has to be a way to do this. Otherwise BMW would have never gotten the wires in the harness in the first place.

If anyone else has ideas please let me know.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:55 PM   #19
biggyd143

My Ride: 2004 330ci
oooo .. I just did this retrofit last month! All I needed was an extra wire and a t-tap. Having a rain sensor just made it so much easier. All I did was tap into the power for the rain sensor (purple wire i believe) and plug it into the connector (#3 slot). In order to plug it into the connector you have to release those clip thingies (correct terminology?) on the sides. I used one of the flathead screwdrivers for eyeglasses and pryed them open. After plugging in the wire, snap the sides back in, and plug the connector into the mirror. Literally plug and play!
biggyd143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #20
biggyd143

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Whammy .. take a flat head to where the arrows are and twist. The sides should flip open!

biggyd143 is offline   Reply With Quote